Reo M108 Wrecker/Crane

Nico

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hi friend,
until the advent of the digital photography, I used snap at everythink automotive, aircraft, weapon or vehicle I met. Someday ago, digging in my slide boxes, I found that one I enclosed, that - If I remember right, was a Reo M108 Wrecker/Crane (but it also could be Studebaker-made).
I don't remember neither the location or the situation of the picture but we can see that this truck belonged to Italian Automobile Club that used it for truck recovery.
The photo was snapped during the seventies or eighties of the last century.
I remember that in 1956 there was a NATO requirement for a bridging equipment and Italian OM truck-makers obtained the licence for the production of the similar AM General M821 as the OM 6600). The two trucks were similar in aspect but differing in main features: the M108 was patterned on the 2.5 ton chassis, whilst the M821 was based on the 5-ton M809 chassis.
If the OM 6600 was a prototype I could have seek some picture for the Army Projects blog but I think that it was the subject of a limited series production.
The scan is not very crisp but the original was a 35-mm slide, always difficult to scan
Nico

Attachments

• Reo M108.jpg
    Reo M108.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 48