Brazilian Tectran 6×6 armoured all-terrain 10-ton trucks

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
G'day all.

I'm looking for information, details and profile drawings of the Brazilian Tectran 6×6 armoured all-terrain 10-ton trucks. I've read, but can't confirm that the Tectran 6×6 truck is based on a Mercedes-Benz 2028 truck chassis.
I'm only able to find the Tectran 6x6 truck design associated with the ASTROS II (Artillery Saturation Rocket System) system. I find the notion of this truck design from the 1980's being armoured interesting, as this type of light armoured protection seems to be a revisited trend in the 2000's.

I noticed in my research that there's a resupply variant of the TECTRAN truck coined the AV-RDM. I'm wondering if the company that manufacture the Tectran 6×6 offer a stand alone armoured transport/logistics truck derivative of the Tectran 6×6?

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• TECTRAN AV-RDM transloaders (2).png
    TECTRAN AV-RDM transloaders (2).png
    622.2 KB · Views: 21
... I've read, but can't confirm that the Tectran 6×6 truck is based on a Mercedes-Benz 2028 truck chassis...

Although Avibrás - the makers of Tectran trucks - have in the past used Mercedes (especially Unimog), Renault, and Iveco components, the Astros II has no connection with the Mercedes-Benz 2028. Instead the Astros II is based on a Tatra T 515-7 6x6 chassis. (BTW, the Tectran name now seems to have been dropped in favour of Avibrás Astros.)

The Tatra T 515 Titan series is more often seen as an 8x8 (eg: T-515-7M0RC1.371 8x8.1R) and seemingly always powered by a Cummins ISM. So, the first bit of weirdness is the Astros II's 408 bhp diesel (presumably a Paccar MX300 6-cyl. diesel as per Tatra's Phoenix COTS T 158 6x6).

The next oddity may be the result of sloppy journalism. Lexicar Brasil present a photo of a "Chassi Tatra T-515/7 6x6." The exact same image appears in Tatra brochures to illustrate the more powerful T 815-790R39 29 300 6x6.1R. So, the puzzle is: If the Astros II is on a T 515 chassis, why did Avibrás choose to go with a less powerful engine?

Thank you for your time and effort Apophenia!!
One would think my research some what easier now that you've kindly identified "Avibrás - the makers of Tectran trucks"

It's funny that you mention the use of the Tatra T 515-7 6x6 chassis, as being the basis of the Tectran, because I was just wondering how much more mobile the Astros II system would be on the renowned Tatra 815 8x8 series.

Regards
Pioneer

... I was just wondering how much more mobile the Astros II system would be on the renowned Tatra 815 8x8 series...

The Avibrás Astros III launcher (AST-L) and resupply (AST-R) vehicles are 8x8s. But, instead of using the T 815-790R99 38 300 8x8.1R chassis, Avibrás Aeroespacial shifted to the Mercedes-Benz Arocs. I can only assume that this reflects potential export customer preferences?

BTW, each Astros III battery also has a range of support vehicles based on Avibrás' 4x4 AV-VBL.