Renault's Bloch MB 300-based tank carrier aircraft project

'Porte-Char' does not means flying tank but
Tank Carrier...

Thank you my dear Lark,

and my dear Jemiba,I don't know it was Bloch aircraft design,I search only on
Caudron or Caudron-Renault projects.

hesham said:
I found that project for Renault or Caudron-Renault,and they put it under the topic for flying tank,but I see it is not the same meaning as we know, so I put it in this topic.

I admit the caption of the image is highly ambiguous, but it is really only an aircraft meant to carry a Renault tank, NOT a Renault aircraft.

Maybe this helps a bit..

...le trimoteur Renault fut conçu spécialement pour le transport
de l'AMR modèle 35...

Some specs : total weight:21 ton.
usefull load with max. fuel 5 ton
lenght:29m
span42,5m
engines :3 Renault of 1000Hp-type unknown.

The tank in question on the drawing is the Renault ZT project
derived from the model AMR 35 light tank.

Sources for the plane : 'Le Trimoteur Porte Char Renault' by Stéphane Ferrard
in Aéro Journal Nr 12 March 1985 based on documents of the
Service Historique de L' Armée de L' Air- France.

Sources for the tank : Tanks - uitg. De Alk-Alkemaar-The Netherlands.

p.s. the name Caudron is not mentioned in the Aéro article.

Okay, had to take a closer look to it all because this Renault thing was kind of bugging me...

The tank-carrier project was a purely Renault study based on the single Bloch MB 300 prototype. The reason why Renault worked on it was because they were the proponents of the tank itself. I don't believe Caudron would have used a Bloch design as a basis, considering their capacity to conceive an aircraft from scratch.

The best thing to do is to go to the original source, which is the Docavia book Les Avions Caudron-Renault. Allow me to translate the passage for you:

The 1935 Soviet maneuvers in Ukraine inspired the French leaders with a new doctrine for the use of airborne troops. It was no longer a case of just releasing the troops rearward of the enemy formations as a mere "helping hand", but to actually drop all the necessary equipment needed to conquer the territory, namely cannons and light tanks. Such a tank already existed at Renault: it was the "ZT", a modified Type 35R armored car.

Renault's project was simple: to associate that tank to a carrier aircraft which they offered to build with the help of the Technical Services command. Studied from 1935, this Renault project resulted on a trimotor project to be built around that tank.

However, Renault was faced with two major problems: the engines and the hoisting device to board the tank. The latter of these was soon resolved by designing a removable, swiveling floor. The former problem, however, keenly persisted and was to be one of the main reasons for the delays and subsequent cancellation of the project. Indeed, with the 1000 hp engines being unavailable, and possibly also because of its prohibitive pricetag, the project was eventually shelved, along with the doctrine that had inspired it.

Of interest is the fact that in order to be efficient during large scale operations, the company planned no less than a hundred aircraft, which would have been far too expensive anyway. Things happened differently in other countries, though.

I can find no indication here AT ALL that the project had anything to do with the Caudron design team. True, Renault and Caudron had sort of merged at the time, but the two companies were completely separated, being in different locations and having distinct design bureaus.

As for the tank itself, ZT was simply Renault's inhouse designation for the AMR-35... It was indeed a development of the earlier Type ZM (the "1935 R" or R-35 armored car). However, the model depicted in the Renault drawing for the tank-carrier aircraft show a version with a rounded turret, which was unlike the faceted versions of these types.

The Automitrailleuse de Reconnaissance 35 (AMR 35) was a French light tank used in World War II. It was not intended to reconnoitre and report as the name suggests but was a light armored combat vehicle without a radio. (...) The AMR 35 was somewhat larger than the AMR 33, being 3.84 m long, 1.76 m wide and 1.88 m tall. It weighed 6.5 metric tons and could reach a speed of 60 km/h, making it the fastest French tank of its day. The side armour was increased from 8 to 10 mm. Its only weapon was a 7.5 mm Reibel machine gun.

Source: http://www.themotorpool.net/French-Renault-AMR-35-ZT1-Light-Reconnaisance-Tank-p/gas50161mb.htm

Attachments

• Renault project.jpg
    Renault project.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 305
  • R-35_plan1.jpg
    R-35_plan1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 269
  • AMR-35 (ZT 1).jpg
    AMR-35 (ZT 1).jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 243
  • avion porte-char 1.jpg
    avion porte-char 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
Beginning in May 1936, the French Army's paratroop divisions started planning airborne tanks. Renault suggested a revised version of their ZT light tank. The idea was to threaten the flanks (e.g. Belgium and Switzerland) of an invading German army by shifting airborne infantry/paratroopers supported by air-landed light tanks. Renault proposed a light-weight version of their AMR-33 light tank with a 7.5 mm machine gun and a 37 mm cannon. It's 37 mm anti-tank gun could destroy most tanks available at the start of WW2, though its primary role was providing fire-support for airborne infantry. It would stand 180 cm tall and weigh 5040 to 5400 kg depending upon the thickness of the armor.
The stock AMR-35 was 3.84 m long and 1.76 m wide.

Since the French Air Force had no cargo planes with tail ramps, they proposed the modified Bloch. 300 bomber. No prototypes were built.

What was the distance between wing spars on the Bloch. 300?

Last edited:
What was the distance between wing spars on the Bloch. 300?
The Bloch 300 Pacifique was an enlarged Bloch 220; it appeared to use the same wing design.

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Bloch MB 300 1.......jpg
    Bloch MB 300 1.......jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Bloch MB 300 2.......jpg
    Bloch MB 300 2.......jpg
    23 KB · Views: 24
  • Bloch MB 300 3.......jpg
    Bloch MB 300 3.......jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 50
The September/October 2014 & the November/December 2014 issues of Avions magazine, issues 201 & 202, contain a two-part article on the Bloch 300 Pacifique.

Terry (Caravellarella)