Question about Gloster unmanned helicopter ?

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi all,

I heard that,the Gloster company designed an unmanned
crop-spraying helicopter project before it merged with
Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft Ltd.,does anyone know any
info about it ?.

Code:
 [b]Lightweight Crop Sprayer[/b]. In 1960 Glosters undertook a highly detailed design study of
a lightweight unmanned crop sprayer of unusual configuration. Basically a four-rotor
helicopter, it consisted of a central box structure with four folding booms radiating
from it, to form an X configuration in plan view, which carried the two-bladed rotors.
This central box provided a platform for the 20 gal plastic spray tank, the 105 hp Potez
4E flat four-cylinder air-cooled engine. the central gear-box, command radio equipment,
hydraulic and other systems. Guard rings were provided around the four rotor discs
and the 22 ft spray-bar was carried below the two rearmost rotor booms. It was planned
to carry the folded crop sprayer between farms on a special transporter towed by a Land
Rover type vehicle. Two controllers were required, each taking over control of the
machine as it approached across the field being sprayed and turning it back toward the
other operator. In this way the machine could not overshoot the field-and possibly
spray weedkiller on other crops-since it would have been always homing onto a controller
rather than flying away on an outgoing course.
The advantages of this unmanned helicopter were that a simplified design, free from
the stringent requirements of the Air Registration Board, was possible; most of the
weight normally allowed for a pilot provided more payload; the machine could be
operated direct from the spraying site with no lost time in flying to and from an airstrip;
more precise spraying could be undertaken within the bounds of small fields and, of
course, the risks of a fatal accident were minimal. Glosters estimated that about £40,000
would need to be spent in producing a prototype and that such a machine could be sold
for £3,800 in the United Kingdom where the market was assessed at being around 150.
Unfortunately, although the company made out a sound case for the production of
such a machine, it did not find favour with the Hawker Siddeley Board and the project
was abandoned.

Rotor diameter 10 ft, total geometric disc area 314 sq ft, length 22 ft 10 in, width
20 ft 7 in, height (excluding aerial) 3 ft.
-Gloster Aircraft since 1917, Derek N. James, Putnam 2nd ed 1987

Attachments

• GLOSTER_CROP-SPRAYER_01.png
    GLOSTER_CROP-SPRAYER_01.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 186
Great stuff. A different configuration but a similar concept can be found in the Bensen B-12:

Attachments

• bensen-b12.jpg
    bensen-b12.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 146
hesham said:
Incredible project,

thank you my dear Jon.

Rig some sort of MAD sensor and a marker dispenser, and you might have had a good mine hunting RPV.

Coming across this thread again, it occurs to me to wonder if the Army/MOD ever looked at this for deploying chemical weapons, especially area denial agents.

Back
Top Bottom