PZL Swidnik BZ-projects

Jan den Das

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
During the earley 50's PZL Swidnik build the BZ-1 Gil and the BZ-4 Zuk helicopters.
Is there any one who can help me with details/dimensions/three side view drawings/etc. of, at least, the projects BZ-2 and BZ-3 if there were any furthers BZ-projects are these details also welcome.
Thanks
Jan

The two

Attachments

• pzl_gil.gif
    pzl_gil.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 637
  • pzl_zuk.gif
    pzl_zuk.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 632
Thanks,
This are the BZ-1 Gil and BZ-4 Zuk, but what about the projects 2 and 3? (GIL-2 and GIL-3?)
Jan

Jan den Das said:
Thanks,
This are the BZ-1 Gil and BZ-4 Zuk, but what about the projects 2 and 3? (GIL-2 and GIL-3?)
Jan

As far as I know the projects "2" and "3" were being designated as "GIL" rather than "BŻ".
Some info on the GIL-3 may be found here http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8679.msg77852.html#msg77852.
As for the GIL-2 it was to be a single-rotor helicoper with a 700-hp piston engine. It was to have a cockpit in its nose, the engine compartment in the center of the fuselage, and a cabin behind of the engine. Unfortunately, I don't have a drawing of the GIL-2, but I'm sure that it had been published somewhere in the Polish aviation press long time ago.

Best regards,
Piotr

Petrus said:
Unfortunately, I don't have a drawing of the GIL-2, but I'm sure that it had been published somewhere in the Polish aviation press long time ago.

I have just found the drawings and info on the GIL-2.

Length with rotor running: 22.1 m
Rotor diameter: 19 m
Rotor area: 283 sq. m
Rotor speed: 178.5 rpm
Empty weight: 1650 kg
Payload: 950 kg
Cabin dimensions: 4 x 2.5 x 1.4 m
AUW: 3600 kg
Engine: ASh-21 (700 hp)
Speed @ 65% nominal power: 100 kph
Ceiling: 3500m
Range with 250 kg fuel: 300 km

EDIT Sept 12, 2019:

I've looked into the drawing and the data (which comes from the "Aeroplan" magazine, issue 1/2001) and I'm quite sure that it was impossible that the GIL-2's cabin did have dimensions as above (4 x 2.5 x 1.4 m). Assuming that the drawing retains all proportions and that the rotor's diameter is indeed 19 m, the cabin's length must have been approx. 2.5 m and height of 1.4 m and its width must have been approx. 1.75 m.

Attachments

• GIL-2.png
    GIL-2.png
    398.3 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
And now info on the two-rotor GIL-3:

Total length: 23.2 m
Fuselage length: 15.5 m
Rotor diameter: 15 m
Rotor area: 352 sq. m
Rotor speed: 200 rpm
Payload: 1250 kg
AUW: 4650 kg
Cabin dimensions: 4 x 1.2 x ? m
Cruise speed (65% power): 100 kph
Max. speed: 165 kph
Ceiling: 4500 m
Range: 300 km

Attachments

• GIL-3.png
    GIL-3.png
    635 KB · Views: 333
Petrus said:
And now info on the two-rotor GIL-3:

In addition to information on the GIL-3 here is a cover of the Skrzydlata Polska magazine dated 1954 with an artist's impression of the future Warsaw, where a two-rotor helicopter may be seen. Apparently it might have been inspired by the GIL-3 design, which was under development exactly at that time. An aviation 'demi-monde' of Poland was (and still is) rather small so the drawing's author cound have known engineers from the Main Aviation Institute (Główny Instytut Lotnictwa) where the project was being developed.

Piotr

EDIT Sept 12, 2019
It's interesting that in the picture the heliport is located in a place in Warsaw that actually exists. Under the Communist rule it was known as Lenski Square (after a Communist activist), now it is Haller Square (after a general who had been a commander of the Polish army in France during World War One - so called 'the Blue Army'). Obviously there has never been any heliport in the square, it is a pure artist's impression/fantasy.

Attachments

• SP_cover.jpg
    SP_cover.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 193
Last edited: