• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Proposal, Gunboat, C-119K: NASM swag

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
7,902
Reaction score
1,136
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
Something from the NASM archive: an overly and oddly armed C-119K. What the guns on the starboard side are supposed to shoot at, I'm not at all clear.
 

Attachments

  • Img_3052.jpg
    Img_3052.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 540
  • Img_3056.jpg
    Img_3056.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 412

AeroFranz

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
May 4, 2008
Messages
2,259
Reaction score
158
Nice find.
Can you read the label on the box-looking thingies in the starboard wing? it says polyurethane something...
The reason for the guns on the starboard side might be to allow a different orbit. One of the criticisms moved towards Specters is that their orbits are predictable (hence vulnerable) since they have to perform pylon turns always on the same side. Just a guess.
 

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
7,902
Reaction score
1,136
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
AeroFranz said:
Can you read the label on the box-looking thingies in the starboard wing? it says polyurethane something...

POLYURETHANE - ALL TANKS
(RECTANGULAR TANKS EASILY ACCESSIBLE,
LEND TO UNCOMPLICATED SYSTEM)

PS: higher rez versions on the blog...
 

starviking

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2006
Messages
1,060
Reaction score
145
Orionblamblam said:
Something from the NASM archive: an overly and oddly armed C-119K. What the guns on the starboard side are supposed to shoot at, I'm not at all clear.

Looking at the larger pic on your blog, I noticed that the armour on the starboard side is much lower than on the port side - 20 inches vs. 40 inches high.

Maybe the reason for this is that the lightly gunned side is for use in mopping-up near the end of an operation. Less hostile fire = lower altitude maybe? Any signs of a starboard gunnery station?

Adding those extra two guns in also provides that extra fire-power whilst balancing some of the load on the port side - fit as much fire-power as a bigger plane into a smaller one.
 

starviking

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2006
Messages
1,060
Reaction score
145
AeroFranz said:
Nice find.
Can you read the label on the box-looking thingies in the starboard wing? it says polyurethane something...
The reason for the guns on the starboard side might be to allow a different orbit. One of the criticisms moved towards Specters is that their orbits are predictable (hence vulnerable) since they have to perform pylon turns always on the same side. Just a guess.

The different orbit might also enable a better (i.e. quicker) response in a fluid situation - if a target appears on the starboard side the plane can get guns on target much more quickly.
 

Jemiba

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
8,222
Reaction score
929
Wouldn't there be a problem with targeting, as the pilot had a reflector gunsight just
beside his head on the lefthand side. Or would the co-pilot have to take over for engaging
targets in a right-hand circle ? ???
 

starviking

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2006
Messages
1,060
Reaction score
145
Jemiba said:
Wouldn't there be a problem with targeting, as the pilot had a reflector gunsight just
beside his head on the lefthand side. Or would the co-pilot have to take over for engaging
targets in a right-hand circle ? ???

There must have been some way to target the guns on the port side. Maybe some kind of optical sighting like that could be switched to either side - or maybe just the co-pilot taking over or giving instructions ("up a bit, down a bit - fire!") ;D

Your guess is a good as mine...
 

Jemiba

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
8,222
Reaction score
929
With a swivelling gunsight, the co-pilot would have had to duck to allow the
pilot to use it. And view to the left wouldn't be as good as to the right.
So it probably would have been better, to split the tasks.
(Photo from Larry Davis "Gunships" shows the gunsight installation in the AC-47,
directly besides the pilots seat)
The reason for this variant, which would have been armed more heavily, than the
A-119K, even without the guns on the right side, remains doubtful to me . ???
 

Attachments

  • gunsight.JPG
    gunsight.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 322

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Senior Member
Joined
May 22, 2006
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
196
Very interesting Orionblamblam , am sorry I missed this, way back in 2008 :-[

This Gunboat C-119K is very specialised - undoubtedly as a consequence of combat experience :eek:

Of interest is the specialised 'Illumination' module, just after the cockpit!

Pitty we haven't found out more over the years :'(

Regards
Pioneer
 
Top