Pre WW2 Fairey twin engined TSR replacement

PMN1

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
From BSP

Submitted in July 1937.......Fairey's rejected low wing design used two of its own P.24 engines and had an all-metal monocoque structure and two crew; a big feature was a 'high speed' wing fitted with an early version of the Fairey-Youngman flap. However, the Ministry did not like the idea of twin-engined aircraft operating from carriers and so a new requirement was drawn up, which became Specification S24/37 on 6th January 1938'.

TWO P.24??

Does anyone have an idea what this design looked like and what kind of performance it had?

The recently released volume British Secret Projects 4: Bombers 1935-1950 might help with figuring what the twin-engine Blackburn submission to the S.24/37 specification looked like.

Just to go off topic but is this TSR the reason why TSR2 was TSR2 (an itch I have wanted to scratch for a long time).

Just to go off topic but is this TSR the reason why TSR2 was TSR2 (an itch I have wanted to scratch for a long time).
I doubt it. The first prototype Fairey Swordfish was referred to internally at Fairey as the TSR.I in 1933. It was followed in 1934 by a modified second prototype, the TSR.II, which became the basis of production aircraft.
At that point it stood for the roles the aircraft was to fulfill I.e Torpedo, Spotter, Reconaissance.