Paul Schmidt`s aircraft projects

Wurger

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi guys,

reading once again my copy of "German Jet Engine and Gas Turbine Development 1930-1945", page 239, authored by Antony Kay, I was struck to know that Paul Schmidt, pioneer of the pulsejet technology, worked out aircraft projects, trying to mate it`s "resonating tube" to more militarily natures. A quick research on german patents led to nill, but finally I got here:

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=1W15AAAAEBAJ&dq=paul+schmidt+aircraft

There it was, it`s idea of a VTOL aircraft, back in 1931.

On a more scientific way he worked with a aerodynamicist ( Prof. Madelung, Kay says G. Madelung, but probably it was Erwin Madelung ) on a flying bomb and, the "piéce de resistance", an interceptor fighter and a light bomber.

I ask: does anyone knows more about this projects?

My dear Wurger,

I get that book,but how we can't ID those projects up to this days.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    244.5 KB · Views: 739
  • 2.png
    2.png
    114 KB · Views: 699
  • 3.png
    3.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 677
Very interesting my dear Wurger! But to say Schmidt "worked out aircraft projects" could be misleading. As you see on the patent drawing there is always the word "Method of ...". So Schmidt just wanted to work out how a pulsejet had to be or could be installed in an aircraftframe. It´s not about an aircraft itself. Therefore he had coworkers. If he had ever done serious airplane designing than it must have been postwar. After the war he had an own engineering office and worked on the perfection of his Pulso in Munich. Since 1950 Schmidt worked together with Prof. Karl Lürenbaum, headmaster of the Institut für Maschinengestaltung und Maschinendynamik" of the TH Aachen (institute for machinedesign and dynamics of machines). From 1960-1966 he worked there even by order of the german ministry of defence (Bundesverteidigungsministerium). This could be the time for him to develope concept aircarftdesigns. Btw. even the GDR cooperated in the 1950s with this Institute by working on questions about jet engines (the Institut of Jet-Engines from the TH Dresden). I touched this subject while doing reserch for my M.A.-Thesis (its about east german aviation research) several years ago.

Wurger said:
... ( Prof. Madelung, Kay says G. Madelung, but probably it was Erwin Madelung ...

Going waaay back ... the 'Madelung' in question was the aeronautical engineer Georg Hans Madelung (1889-1972). By 1929 he had become head of the Flugzeugabteilung of the DVL while also a professor at the Technische Hochschule Berlin (where he'd received his engineering degree in 1919).

BTW, Georg Madelung was a dedicated anti-communist who joined the NSDAP in 1937 (although that didn't stop him from working in the US in 1946!). His son, Gero Madelung ended up at Panavia via Messerschmitt AG.

Hi,

from Flugsport 1932,here is a patent for Paul Schmidt.

Attachments

• zeitschrift-flugsport-1932 Paul Schmidt.png
    zeitschrift-flugsport-1932 Paul Schmidt.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 407
hesham said:
Hi,

from Flugsport 1932,here is a patent for Paul Schmidt.

I can't find the patent in Flugsport : Could you please give me the page number ?

Thanks

Richard

My dear Richard,

it is not pages,but here is the direct site,please wait about one minute until
upload;

http://www.luftfahrt-bibliothek.de/zeitschrift-flugsport-oskar-ursinus-luftsport-luftfahrt-luftverkehr/luftsport-luftfahrt-luftverkehr-flugsport-1932/zeitschrift-flugsport-1932-luftsport-luftverkehr-luftfahrt.htm

Thank you , I know the site , but I browsed the 1932 year twice without finding the Schmidt's patent ...

It's on page 120.
An careful, please !
From what I read in the patent description, only the drawing shown below
belongs to the patent filed by Paul Schmidt, the other drawings are about
a patent filed by Bartolomiej Jan Poplawski and describes a caterpillar landing
gear, that has nothing to do with Paul Schmidt !

Attachments

• patent schmidt.png
    patent schmidt.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 420
Sorry my dear Jemiba,the Google translation only.

Hi,

also a strange Project for rocket to Paul Schmidt;

Schmidt, Paul
Schmidt Himmelsturmer "Sky Stomer" flight rocket pack composed of two Schmidt wearable pulse tubes, 1944

http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/List-of-military-aircraft-of-Germany-by-manufacturer

hesham said:
Hi,

also a strange Project for rocket to Paul Schmidt;

Schmidt, Paul
Schmidt Himmelsturmer "Sky Stomer" flight rocket pack composed of two Schmidt wearable pulse tubes, 1944

http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/List-of-military-aircraft-of-Germany-by-manufacturer

That may be related to the Himmelstürmer project. To refresh people's memory, the topic is here.

And from Denzjos site.

Attachments

• paul0000.jpg
    paul0000.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Schmidt-.jpg
    Schmidt-.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom