Parisano Paraplane of 1916

Pelzig

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
In researching the Stipa-Caproni, I came across the Parisano Paraplane which exhibited a similar design in so much as placing the propeller within a tubular structure. We all know that the Stipa was a Venturi tube design which the Paraplane clearly isn't.

Still, very little seems to exist on the Paraplane outside of what is listed on the AeroFiles website at:

http://aerofiles.com/_pa.html

Even the Flight magazine articles only lists the address for the company but nothing more that I could find. AeroFiles say the Paraplane was only in an ad in Flying magazine. Neither do patents seem to exist for it.

Can anybody shed more light on the Paraplane? Namely, what was the perceived benefit the designer(s) saw in such a design? And, more importantly, did the Paraplane exist outside of an ad and actually fly?

Cheers!

Attachments

• parisano.jpg
    parisano.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 200
HP. Lovecraft's Elder Things ;D
Oh, right - this isn't a squid forum...

I doubt the Elder Gods and Old Ones needed this thing to putter around in. ;)

Avimimus said:
HP. Lovecraft's Elder Things ;D
Oh, right - this isn't a squid forum...

Tracked down the patent, at last. It is GB191312205A. Reading over the document, one can see the parallels to the Stipa-Caproni concept such as added lift, attempting to stabilize airflow, and air compression. A more curious benefits described was the tube could act as a parachute for the plane!

From Sep 1915 ad: "These machines are standard in every respect, and of extra strong constructon, designed to meet the severest military requirements—can be be supplied with changeble angle of incidence wings. Speed range, 40 to 85 miles per hour. Climb with full military load 600 feet pr minute."

What was "full military load" in this case, I wonder? It appears to have been intended as a observation/training aircraft?

And a 3-view;

http://www.pennula.de/american-magazine-of-aeronautics/american-magazine-of-aeronautics-1914-1915/aeronautics-1914-1915.htm

Attachments

• american-magazine-of-aeronautics-1914-1915-315.jpg
    american-magazine-of-aeronautics-1914-1915-315.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 1.png
    1.png
    320.6 KB · Views: 23
Back
Top Bottom