Panchenkov WIG designs

Heathh

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Hey, does anyone know that the plane titled "Constructeur Pachenkov" in the image I linked is?
I found this image on Pinterest, and did some internet searching but couldn't find anything useful about it anywhere.

The image is said to be from a French science magazine "Science et Vie", issue n 913, page 107. I cant find any digital copies of the magazine. There's one physical copy for sale I found, but I haven't taken any steps to try and acquire it.

This specific version of the image I found on interested (its the least cropped and compressed one, so I think its the original source). It was posted to Flickr, April 14, 2009. View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mryurigagarin/3439263571

I found an old Korean forum discussing it, but neither google translate or a Korean friend could get anything useful from it. Here it is anyway.

"Constructeur" just means "builder" in French, so Pachenkov is probably the designer or builder of the plane. Maybe a guy, or a company? I couldn't find any Plane-related Pachenkovs.

If anyone knows anything, thanks.

Attachments

• image_2023-11-16_212523708.png
    image_2023-11-16_212523708.png
    640.6 KB · Views: 54

Attachments

• osobennosti-konstruktsii-ekranoplanov-a-n-panchenkova (1).pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • page0017.jpg
    page0017.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 314453_7_pic_109.jpg
    314453_7_pic_109.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 50
Thank you so much! This thing has been driving me crazy.

For any non Russian speakers (like me) I asked a Russian friend to summarise and translate the image text from the the second attachment:
" Russian project of a 4000 ton vehicle 120 meters long and 50 meters wide, designed to fly above tundra with speeds of 550 km per hour on specifically constructed roadways. Designed by A. N. Panchenkov. It says there was a real life 20 m long replica tested on Baikal. "

I guess the prototype has been scrapped since then, but its cool to imagine something like this gliding around a serene lake. (real images of this would be awesome). It does differ somewhat from the version in the image I originally sent (offset cockpit, lack of intakes for front engines, etc.). For no though, I'm satisfied.

Thank you so much! This thing has been driving me crazy.

For any non Russian speakers (like me) I asked a Russian friend to summarise and translate the image text from the the second attachment:
" Russian project of a 4000 ton vehicle 120 meters long and 50 meters wide, designed to fly above tundra with speeds of 550 km per hour on specifically constructed roadways. Designed by A. N. Panchenkov. It says there was a real life 20 m long replica tested on Baikal. "

I guess the prototype has been scrapped since then, but its cool to imagine something like this gliding around a serene lake. (real images of this would be awesome). It does differ somewhat from the version in the image I originally sent (offset cockpit, lack of intakes for front engines, etc.). For no though, I'm satisfied.
Not sure why they'd bother with specially constructed roadways, unless the Siberian tundra is as unpleasantly hilly as the Palouse loess prairies in the US?

As far as I know the design wasn't meant to need special roadways, this idea is the result of many misinterpretations of the design along the time. This design was considerad by the Aerocon Company, as a part of USSR-USA wingship cooperation. According to Panchenkov, the proposed Dash 1.6 Wingship would not work as expected, so he proposed this design as a more practical solution.
I will post a better resolution and colored image of it, just need to find.

It is dangerous to create pressure under residential premises with the help of turbojet engine. Despite the sealing, carbon dioxide will accumulate in the rooms

Wouldn't the weight of this thing be directly transferred to the ground beneath it in a very concentrated manner, because of the small wingspan? In the winter that's probably fine, but in the summer id imagine the fairly soft tundra soil weakly held together by grass and moss would just get flung around everywhere.

Hey, does anyone know that the plane titled "Constructeur Pachenkov" in the image I linked is?
I found this image on Pinterest, and did some internet searching but couldn't find anything useful about it anywhere.

The image is said to be from a French science magazine "Science et Vie", issue n 913, page 107. I cant find any digital copies of the magazine. There's one physical copy for sale I found, but I haven't taken any steps to try and acquire it.

This specific version of the image I found on interested (its the least cropped and compressed one, so I think its the original source). It was posted to Flickr, April 14, 2009. View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mryurigagarin/3439263571

I found an old Korean forum discussing it, but neither google translate or a Korean friend could get anything useful from it. Here it is anyway.

"Constructeur" just means "builder" in French, so Pachenkov is probably the designer or builder of the plane. Maybe a guy, or a company? I couldn't find any Plane-related Pachenkovs.

If anyone knows anything, thanks.
That can hardly be called a plane.

Also, I found on internet an article by Panchenkov about hydrofoil dynamics dated 1970, and he had already built small scale ground-effect transportation in the time, making him probably the third engineer in the USSR working on this subject. Though he apparently was a maritime engineer rather than aeronautical.

Back
Top Bottom