Curtiss "Navy Seaplane Fighter" (F2Y Seadart contender)

RyanC

Crazy Researcher
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.generalstaff.org
Orionblamblam said:
If you've found anything on the SeaMistress (the larger plane in the background), I'd love to see it...

Unfortunately, no. But I did find a drawing of the Curtiss entry into the F2Y Seadart project showing it's weapons armament:

Attachments

• Curtiss F2Y.gif
    Curtiss F2Y.gif
    110.3 KB · Views: 832
"But I did find a drawing of the Curtiss entry into the F2Y Seadart project "

Great find ! Are some more information available ? ???

Jemiba said:
"But I did find a drawing of the Curtiss entry into the F2Y Seadart project "

Great find ! Are some more information available ? ???

I 2nd this request!!!!
Interesting turret-weapons arrnagement

Regards
Pioneer

Posted in the Seamaster thread by RyanCrierie, I searched for additional information about this
design, unfortunately without success. So, I had to do with the only drawing available, limiting
source grade to 2. Especially interesting is the weapons system, but to my opinion raising more
questions, than answering. The drawing shows a turnable turret with four guns, which to my
opinion would have been 0.50 Brownings, as anything larger wouldn’t fit into the relatively small
turret. To allow the guns to be turned up to 90° laterally, the fairing is has notches on each side ...
but this in consequence means, that the guns couldn’t be elevated. Movable guns were proposed
for a number of other fighters and can even be found in one of the early Convair Skate designs, too,
but to my opinion all of those installations allowed for an elevation of the guns for an attack from
below. Which advantages this Curtiss design should have offered, is not really clear to me. Of course,
it would have allowed attack on ground targets in the same way, as the later gunships à la AC-47/
AC-130, but for a fighter, I think it’s strange.
Back to the aircraft itself, the drawing shows a single seat shoulder wing aircraft with swept wings
and swept tail surfaces and probably a conventionally stepped planing bottom fitted with spray dam
and a water rudder. The slim fuselage seems to have been intended for a single jet engine, type
absolutely unknown to me, with its intakes just above the wing root edge. The auxiliary floats at the
wing tips were fixed, the cockpit was ahead of the wing root and below the upper edge of the
fuselage, to allow for a clear field of fire straight ahead. As a radar set seems to be shown, there
would have been a nose radom. For determining the dimensions there are only few clues, the most
suitable probably are the guns. IF they indeed are 0.50 Brownings, then length of the aircraft could
have been between 18 and 19 m (59 and 62 feet) , span between 14 and 15m (46 and 49 feet),
wing sweep between 35 and 38°.

Nothing certain, but the best I could do. If someone has more infos, please. please ...

And, as a little bit of colour says more, than a thousand words, a flagrant amalgamation of Seadart,
Skyknight and a number of other US Navy aircraft. NOT for the purists with regards to codes, numbers
and batches ...
;D

Attachments

• Curtiss_FBF.GIF
    Curtiss_FBF.GIF
    100.3 KB · Views: 584
  • Curtiss_F2Y.jpg
    Curtiss_F2Y.jpg
    550.8 KB · Views: 625
Hey very nice find!! Thanks!!!

Can any please inform me as to what the US Navy program that brought about the development (i.e Weapons System (WS)/ Operational Requirement (OR) which the Convair F2Y & this Curtiss 'Navy Seaplane Fighter' was submitted to?

Regards
Pioneer

Back
Top Bottom