OTO Gorgona R 2.5

scorp

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Would anyone have pictures--esp. color ones--from old defense magazines of this Eighties wheeled AFV proposal from Italy? (There are 2 small ones in an Historical section of the Company's official website, but would appreciate others.) Many thanks.

Hope these aren't the same as the ones on the OTO Melara site ...

Source: http://www.omniauto.it/forum/index.php?showtopic=10682&mode=threaded

Attachments

• gorgona.jpg
    gorgona.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 809
  • gorgona-herc.jpg
    gorgona-herc.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 808
Dear Member,

Yes, I got them some where. I helped a magazine do an article on the subject back in the 1980s. I also have the company brochure. Will try and find them.

Jack E. Hammond

I know there was an article in Wheels & Tracks, No. 12, but that particular issue's unavailable at present. My sincere gratitude to everyone trying to help. OTO Historical Museum is being UNcooperative!

W&T 12. Enjoy.

Attachments

• gorgona pic.jpg
    gorgona pic.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 809
  • gorgona sm.jpg
    gorgona sm.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 806
wat is this ?

a Jeep or Italy's ultimate war limousine ;D

wat was the Idea behind this ?

Good find Smurf! Interesting to see the remote weapons systems.

The RWS were kind of precussors to Hitrole. A few RWS details if anyone is interested:

T7.62FA turret - armament: 7.62 mm machinegun (80 ready rounds), traverse: 360° (at 60°/second), elevation: -10° to +25° (at 40°/second).

T12.7FA turret - armament: 12.7mm M2HB (100 ready rounds), traverse: 360° (at 60°/second), elevation: -10° to +50° (at 40°/second). Gunmen of the telescopic sight of a 1.5 × 5 × and two rate.

There was also a T20FA-HS turret (armed with 20mm Oerlikon KAD-B17) for the R3 Capraia recce vehicle but it was probably too heavy for the Gorgona.

The following information has been copied from Jane’s Light Tanks and Armoured Cars 1984 by Christopher F. Foss. It is posted here for educational purposes:

OTO Melara OTO R 2.5 Gorgona Reconnaissance Vehicle

Development
The OTO R 2.5 Gorgona vehicle has been developed as a private venture by OTO Melara and was announced in 1982. Two versions are currently being offered; an unarmed police model and a combat model which can be fitted with various types of armament. Many of the automotive components are also used in the OTO R3 reconnaissance vehicle which is fully described in the preceding entry.

Description
The body of the Gorgona is of welded aluminium armour 15 mm thick with the bullet-proof glass being 32 mm thick which gives the same degree of protection to the crew as the aluminium armour. This provides complete protection from 7.62 mm (NATO) small arms fire.
There is a stowage area at the front, commander, driver and two men in the centre, and the engine and transmission at the rear. Each crew member enters and leaves the vehicle via an individual side door which has an electrically-operated window in its upper part. Mounted in the forward part of the vehicle is an electrically-operated winch with a capacity of 2000 kg.
The power plant is installed in the rear of the vehicle and includes the engine, automatic transmission and the transfer case. The engine oil is cooled by a heat exchanger anger that transfers heat to the water of the main circuit. The automatic transmission is coupled to the two-speed transfer case which permanently drives the front and rear wheels through a controlled differential. The cooling system consists of two radiators installed in the rear of the vehicle cooled by two fan-air conveyor units driven through V-belts and thermostatic devices. Electric power is supplied at 24 V by a 1200 W generator to two 90 Ah batteries. The vehicle is fully amphibious, being propelled in the water by its wheels with steering being accomplished in a similar manner to that of land operations.
Standard equipment includes run-flat tyres, air conditioning, heating and ventilation system, power-assisted steering and an adjustable steering wheel.
Optional equipment includes air pressurisation and filter¬ing system, infra-red night driving equipment and a water-jet propulsion system.
The following armament installations can be fitted on the roof of the vehicle:

TPT shield for gunner on right side of roof
T 12.7 FA turret with 12.7 mm MG, elevation +50°, depression -10°, traverse 360°
T 7.62 FA turret with 7.62 rum MG, elevation +25°, depression -10°, traverse 360°

Variants
None apart for those mentioned in the text.

SPECIFICATIONS

CREW 4
CONFIGURATION 4 × 4
COMBAT WEIGHT 2850 kg
MAXIMUM PERMISSIBLE WEIGHT 3150 kg
POWER-TO-WEIGHT RATIO 33.33 bhp/tonne
LENGTH 4.5 m
WIDTH 1.7 m
HEIGHT 1.62 m
GROUND CLEARANCE 0.35 m
TRACK (front) 1.418 m (rear) 1.45 m
WHEELBASE 2.5 m
ANGLE OF APPROACH/ DEPARTURE 40°/40°
MAX SPEED (road) 120 km/h (water) 5 km/h
RANGE 500 km
FORDING amphibious
GRADIENT 75%
SIDE SLOPE 40%
TURNING RADIUS 5.5 m
STEERING servo assisted
ENGINE FIAT model 8144 81.200 4-cylinder water-cooled supercharged diesel developing 95 bhp at4200 rpm
TRANSMISSION OTR 6, automatic, 4 forward and 1 reverse gears, hydraulic torque converter with lock up clutch (or S5/18 manual with 5 forward and 1 reverse gears)
TRANSFER CASE 2-speed
SUSPENSION independent, McPhearson type with longitudinal torsion bars
TYRES 7.50 × 16
BRAKES service brakes are assisted by a vacuum pump through a dual hydraulic circuit, acting on front discs and rear brake drums. Parking brake acts on rear brakes
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM 24 V
BATTERIES 2 × 12 V, 90 Ah

Manufacturer: OTO Melara, via Valdilocchi 15, 19 100 La Spezia, Italy.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/abegubler/gorgona01.jpg
Side-view of OTO Melara OTO R 2.5 Gorgona (4 x 4) reconnaissance vehicle showing side doors and engine

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/abegubler/gorgona02.jpg
OTO Melara OTO R 2.5 Gorgona (4 x 4) reconnaissance vehicle without armament installed

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/abegubler/gorgona03.jpg
OTO Melara OTO R 2.5 Gorgona (4 x 4) reconnaissance vehicle fitted with remote-controlled 7.62 mm machine gun

The following information has been copied from Jane’s Light Tanks and Armoured Cars 1984 by Christopher F. Foss. It is posted here for educational purposes:

OTO Melara OTO R3 Capraia Reconnaissance Vehicle

Development
The OTO R3 reconnaissance vehicle has been developed as a private venture by OTO Melara and the prototype was shown for the first time at the 1982 Italian Naval Exhibition held in Genoa.
The lower part of the body, engine and mechanical groups are the same as on the special task vehicle Gorgona. Two versions have so far been developed; a scout/reconnaissance vehicle which has a four-man crew and an armoured personnel carrier which has a five-man crew including the commander and driver.

Description
The hull of the OTO R3 is of all-welded aluminium armour construction with a maximum thickness of 32 mm which provides the crew with complete protection from small arms fire (7.62 mm NATO) and shell splinters.
The driver is seated at the front of the vehicle with a single-piece hatch cover above his position that opens to the left. To his immediate front are five vision blocks each with a wiper which give excellent observation to his front and sides.
The commander is seated to the rear of the driver, offset to the right and has a single-piece hatch cover that opens to the rear and six periscopes for all-round observation.
The armament is mounted to the rear of the commander’s position and the following installations are currently being offered by OTO Melara:

T 12.7 FA
This consists of an externally-mounted 12.7 mm M2 HB machine gun provided with 100 rounds of ready use ammunition. The turret, which consists of the carriage, machine gun, sighting system, power drives and ammunition weighs 120 kg. Turret traverse is a full 360 degrees at a speed of 60 degrees a second, with elevation being from -10 degrees to +50 degrees at a speed of 40 degrees a second. The gunner has a sight with a magnification of ×1.5 and ×5.

T 7.62 FA
This consists of an externally-mounted 7.62 mm machine gun provided with 80 rounds of ready use ammunition. The turret, which consists of the carriage, machine gun, sighting system, power drives and ready use ammunition weighs 180 kg. Turret traverse is a full 360 degrees at a speed of 60 degrees a second, with elevation being from -10 degrees to +25 degrees at a speed of 40 degrees a second. The gunner has a sight with a magnification of ×1.

T 20 FA-HS
This turret is fitted with an externally-mounted Oerlikon KAD-B17 20 mm cannon which is provided with 120 rounds of ready use ammunition. The turret, which consists of the carriage, armament, sighting system, power drives and ready use ammunition, weighs about 450 kg. Turret traverse is a full 360 degrees at a speed of 45 degrees a second, with elevation being from -10 to +60 degrees at a speed of 30 degrees a second. The gunner has a sight with a magnification of ×1.5 and ×5.

Folgore ×2 FA
This turret is armed with two Breda Folgore anti-tank launchers with a 7.62 mm machine gun being mounted slightly above and between the weapons. Each launcher has one missile in the ready-to-launch position with the machine gun having 80 rounds of ready use ammunition. The turret, which consists of the weapons, ready use ammunition, carriage, sighting system and power drives, weighs 150 kg. The turret can be traversed through a full 360 degrees at a speed of 30 degrees a second and the weapons can be elevated from -7 to + 10 degrees at a speed of 5 degrees a second. The gunner has a sight with a magnification of ×1.5 and ×5.

T 106 ×2 FA
This turret is armed with two externally-mounted 106 mm M40 type recoilless rifles and consists of the carriage, armament, sighting system, power drives and two rounds of ready use ammunition, weighing a total of 550 kg. The turret can be traversed through a full 360 degrees at a speed of 30 degrees a second and elevated from -7 to + 10 degrees at a speed of 5 degrees a second. The gunner has a sight with a magnification of ×1.5 and ×5.

TOW turret
This has an externally-mounted launcher for a Hughes TOW ATGW system which can be traversed through a full 360 degrees and elevated from -7 to +10 degrees. The turret, which consists of the carriage, launcher, sighting system and ammunition, weighs 150 kg.

In the roof of the R3, to the rear and either side of the armament installation are two periscopes that give observation to the front of the vehicle; a further two periscopes are mounted in the very rear to give rearward observation.
There is an entry door in each side of the hull with two vision blocks being provided in the left and one in the right side of the hull. Under the forward vision block, which is to the left of the vehicle commander, is a circular firing port.
The power plant is installed in the rear of the vehicle and includes the engine, automatic transmission and transfer case. The automatic transmission is coupled to the two-speed transfer case which permanently drives the front and rear wheels through a controlled differential. The cooling system consists of two radiators installed in the rear of the vehicle cooled by two fan-air conveyor units driven by the engine through V-belts and thermostatic devices. Engine oil is cooled by a heat exchanger. The electric system is powered at 24 V by a 1200 NV generator through two 90 Ah batteries.
The vehicle is fully amphibious being propelled in the water by two water jets mounted at the hull rear.
Standard equipment includes run-flat tyres, air conditioning, servo-assisted steering with the steering wheel being adjustable in height, heating and ventilation system and a front-mounted electrically operated winch with a capacity of 2000 kg.
Optional equipment includes air pressurisation with filtering system and infra-red or passive night vision equipment.

Variants
There are no variants apart from the different armament installations mentioned previously.

SPECIFICATIONS

CREW 4 or 5 (depending on role)
CONFIGURATION 4 × 4
COMBAT WEIGHT 3200 kg
MAXIMUM PERMITTED WEIGHT 3500 kg
POWER-TO-WEIGHT RATIO 29.68 bhp/tonne (at weight of 3200 kg)
LENGTH 4.86 m
WIDTH 1.78 m
HEIGHT (to hull top) 1.55 m
GROUND CLEARANCE 0.35 m
TRACK (front) 1.418 m (rear) 1.45 m
WHEELBASE 2.5 m
ANGLE OF APPROACH/DEPARTURE 40°/40°
MAX ROAD SPEED (forwards) 120 km/h
MAX WATER SPEED 6 km/h
RANGE 500 km
FORDING amphibious
GRADIENT 75%
SIDE SLOPE 40%
TURNING RADIUS 5.5 m
ENGINE FIAT model 8144.81.200 4-cylinder water-cooled supercharged diesel developing 95 hp at 4200 rpm
TRANSMISSION OTR 6 automatic, 4 forward and 1 reverse gears (or S5/18 manual with 5 forward and 1 reverse gears)
TRANSFER CASE 2-speed
STEERING servo-assisted
SUSPENSION TYPE independent, McPhearson type with longitudinal torsion bars
TYRES 7.50 × 16
BRAKES servo-assisted dual hydraulic circuit, acting on front disc brakes and on rear drum brakes. Parking brake acts on rear brakes
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM 24 V
BATTERIES 2 × 12 V, 90 Ah

Manufacturer: OTO Melara, via Valdilocchi 15, 19 100 La Spezia, Italy.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/abegubler/capraia01.jpg
Prototype of OTO R3 reconnaissance vehicle being tested. Prototype has different vision blocks to that anticipated in production vehicles

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/abegubler/capraia02.jpg
Driver's position in OTO R3 reconnaissance vehicle looking forward

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/abegubler/capraia03.jpg
OTO R3 reconnaissance vehicle with T 20 FA-HS turret

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/abegubler/capraia04.jpg
OTO R3 reconnaissance vehicle fitted with T 20 FA-HS turret armed with 20 mm cannon

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/abegubler/capraia05.jpg
OTO R3 reconnaissance vehicle from rear fitted with T 20 FA-HS turret armed with 20 mm cannon

I saw one of these on the TOW range at Ft. AP Hill in Virginia, USA in 1997. The vehicle was tan in colour, and appeared to be equipped at one point in time with some sort of turret mounted weapon or sighting system. My guess was that it was maybe former Kuwaiti (I believe they were one of the few export clients for this vehicle), which in turn could have been captured by Iraqi forces in 1990, then in turn captured by Americans in '91 and brought over to the US as a war trophy, but that is pure speculation on my part.

It was among numerous old armoured vehicles waiting to be towed out to the range by a bulldozer, among them, some old Cobra helicopters, Naval Gun Turrets, an M114 recce vehicle, and another interesting specimen was a Sgt York SPAAG. Sorry no pics though. :(

Poor SGT York SPAAG. :-[

Matt_Fisher said:
It was among numerous old armoured vehicles waiting to be towed out to the range by a bulldozer, among them, some old Cobra helicopters, Naval Gun Turrets, an M114 recce vehicle, and another interesting specimen was a Sgt York SPAAG. Sorry no pics though. :(

Hi boys,
I found a forgotten picture of a more recent version of the Gorgona armoured car and willin' post it for you I try the function Search, with no results (i wrote Gorgona). Looking for more information I found this topic by Google!
As the friend have already written the Gorgona was not proceeded with but around 1995, researching the field of drones and robotized vehicle, the same firm resurrected the vehicle in unmanned form. The only information I found is the following:
OTO MELARA R.2.5.Robotized SystemThe Robotized R.2.5 (R.2.5.R) Project aims at prototyping a mobile robot for intervention in hostile environments. The system is composed by three main units: the transportable control station, the radio communication set and the mobile robot based on an armoured, diesel propelled, wheeled platform called R.2.5. Gorgona, produced by OTO MELARA. Robot can be remotely controlled via full-duplex radio link. Can be teleoperated and provides supervised modes as well. Speeds from 30cm/sec to 30km/h. As of May 1994 the locomotion system and teleoperated system are complete. Additional functionality in the form of supervised and autonomous operation are planned.Even in that form the Gorgona was not proceeded with and now a (or the one?) prototype is in a La Spezia museum
Nico

Attachments

• Gorgona R.2.5R.jpg
    Gorgona R.2.5R.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 527
thebig C said:
I could be mistaken but didn't Lambourgini design something similar?

I recall Lambourghini designing a large 4x4 jeep. This was called the LM002. It sort of looked like HUMVEE.

I'm not sure how many were produced, but I've seen two examples in my life: One was black and used to be parked down the road from me in Islington, London, and the other one was a yellow example that used to be parked down the road from me in Table View, Cape Town. Both were obviously privately owned, and I guess I'm lucky to actually have seen two in the flesh.

The correct spell for that Italian supercar manufacturer is Lamborghini (nicknamed by the fans of such cars 'Lambo').
In fact, Lamborghini built in 1977 an interesting ancestor of the present day Humvee, named Cheetah. There were the prototypes LM001, LM003 and LM004, whilts the project LM002 was built in over 300 units for the civil and military market. The Lamborghini LM002 Cheetah was built in the 1977-1993 timeframe and sold mainly in Middle East.
Some member of the design staff of the Cheetah came from Ordnance Division of FMC where they developed the XR311 High Mobility Vehicle proposed to the US Army in 1970 and there was a legal action from FMC against Lamborghini for patent infringement. The XR311 (subject of several delighful Tamiya models) was built only in 20 or so examples.
I hope, in the near future, submit some pics of those US and Italian cars

Nico