OKB SUKHOI: A History of the Design Bureau and its Aircraft

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.ianallanpublishing.com/product.php?productid=67394&cat=1003&page=2

This book is the complete and definitive history of the famous Sukhoi Design Bureau, from its establishment in 1940 to the present day. Continuing the series of books exploring in detail the major Russian aviation companies, this is the most comprehensive study of Sukhoi ever undertaken with every type of aircraft ever developed by the Sukhoi OKB dealt with in detail, with descriptions of all known versions and a wealth of recently declassified data. For each major type there are line drawings illustrating the difference between the versions, representative colour aside views and specification tables allowing the performance of different version to be compared; production figures and information on Sukhoi aircraft operated abroad are also included. The book is illustrated with numerous hitherto unreleased photographs.

This is an amazing piece of research and will be essential reading for all serious students of aviation history and the development of Sukhoi aircraft design.

This title has not yet been published - it is currently expected in November 2009.

Attachments

• a03143mp.jpg
    a03143mp.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 364
Is this a revised edition or just a re-printing of the previous book?

cheers,
Robin.

Looks like a revised edition. They got rid of about 75% of the authors! Ultimately irrelevant without any T-60S information.

SOC said:
Looks like a revised edition. They got rid of about 75% of the authors! Ultimately irrelevant without any T-60S information.

Not necessarily. The new Su-27 book by Ildar Bedretdinov has extensive information on the early concepts and development of the Su-34 for example.

Which is great, but these volumes don't tend to go into that level of detail. I've got the new OKB Tupolev book, and the much older OKB MiG and OKB Sukhoi books, and while they've gotten progressively better they still don't strike me as "must haves". I'll still probably grab the MiG and Sukhoi editions at some point, but not immediately.

Oh, I agree Sean, but then I've been disappointed with all Yefim's books recently. The Su-27 book could have (should have) been so much better. Ildar Bedretdinov's 2 volume book shows just how much was left to say.

I'll wait till it comes out,then try to get a look at it, see if it's worth getting. Trouble is, I've had to curtail my book buying habit due to financial constraints, of late, so now I have to pick and choose what I get..... :mad:
FWIW, the later MiG book _is_ better than the first edition, if that's all you've got, and I know I did say that I'd review it here, unfortunately, real life has got in the way, somewhat, so apologies for it's non-appearance so far. I'm on it, though.

cheers,
Robin.

robunos said:
I'll wait till it comes out,then try to get a look at it, see if it's worth getting. Trouble is, I've had to curtail my book buying habit due to financial constraints, of late, so now I have to pick and choose what I get..... :mad:

In my case it's space constraints. Not to mention that I haven't had much time for shopping around lately(I normally avoid online purchases). :-[

overscan said:
Yefim's books

According to badge we have seen at MAKS-2009, Yefim is no more Yefim. He's now Froim.

Yefim? Froim? Isn't it the same name anyway? (Jewish Yefroim or Ephraim)

Stargazer2006 said:
Yefim? Froim? Isn't it the same name anyway? (Jewish Yefroim or Ephraim)
Yes, he is a Russian Jew.

BTW. The publisher "Ildar Bedretdinov and co" has been finally permitted to sell the final/second part of the book "Istrebitel Su-27 natchalo istorii". Yesterday I got an email from them bcs I ordered the book at their stand on MAKS2009. Actually, you could see it there but couldn`t buy it bcs the book being censored. The book is about 6-7cm thick. ::)

I'll wait for the English translation I think. I am reading the first part properly from cover to cover- it's great!

overscan said:
I'll wait for the English translation I think. I am reading the first part properly from cover to cover- it's great!

Not sure if there will be English translation, I will ask. This is the cover of unbelievable thick book about the Su-27.

Attachments

• Su-27 cover.jpg
    Su-27 cover.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 45
I'm not sure. I own the English version of the first part (thanks to Muxel and Flateric), so I'm hoping there will be an English version of part 2.

hi folks does somebody know when this new Su-27 book going be released?
and how many pages has it?
T-50

already released/many (it weights about 3 kg)

I can tell you, 545 pages in all, and I've nearly read it from cover to cover,
review's not quite ready, but I can tell you already, it's excellent, lots of projects,
of which more very soon.......

cheers,
Robin.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way conected or affiliated, with the author, publisher, distributor, resellers etc. of this book.

flateric said:
already released/many (it weights about 3 kg)

Hmm ... both Midland and Amazon say its only available in March 2010 ! ???

Deino

DOH!!, :-[ :-X :mad: :'(

sorry, I misread OKB Sukhoi as OKB Mikoyan, had that damn book on the brain...................

apologies..........

cheers,
Robin.

overscan said:

Not sure if there will be English translation, I will ask. This is the cover of unbelievable thick book about the Su-27.
There is an English translation! It is truly a thick book with all the needed information on the development and the construction of the famous Su-27. https://www.ebay.com/itm/133530693051

You can check it out if it is still relevant!

Back
Top Bottom