Nuclear Fusion

U.S. scientists have achieved net energy gain in a fusion reaction for the second time since December, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory said on Sunday.

Scientists at the California-based lab repeated the fusion ignition breakthrough in an experiment in the National Ignition Facility (NIF) on July 30 that produced a higher energy yield than in December, a Lawrence Livermore spokesperson said.

Technically a lie. They achieved a plasma Q over >1, but factoring in the efficiency of the laser net Q is way less than 1.

Only because they are using highly inefficient research lasers from the 80's. This is a research lab not an operational plant, and their focus isn't an operational power plant. They did their job showing it works, now its up to someone else to commercialize it.

Only because they are using highly inefficient research lasers from the 80's. This is a research lab not an operational plant, and their focus isn't an operational power plant. They did their job showing it works, now its up to someone else to commercialize it.
Maybe. They're getting about 1.55x out (3.15MJ) what they put in (2.05MJ), so it would need a laser that's at least 66% efficient, even after frequency multiplication to 351nm and Q-switching, which is a big ask. Currently, the record is held by diode lasers at 65% with fibre lasers down at ~50% and that doesn't include getting it to the correct wavelength for fusion, or making it into a pulse. So, we're not there yet. I think someone said that they need to get to 6-8MJ out for 2MJ in, then we'll be there.

Last edited:
Of course not, this is basically the third 1903 Wright Brothers flight. It'll take a bit to go from there to say 1919 KLM.

Fusion news

Cosmic Rays
https://www.labmanager.com/a-new-lens-into-the-universe-s-most-energetic-particles-31115

In the news

Cold plasma X-rays and fusion

A reactor for the Moon:

Seems familiar....
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phPp5oYnps0

Last edited:
Building a working fusion reactor is trivial. I'm talking high school science project trivial. You need a good vacuum pump (and bell glass) and the 25kv power supply from a neon sign. You can make the rest in any metal shop. Presto, one Farnsworth Fusor. Now that a friend of mine has a mill, I need to talk to him about making one for myself. Just need to mind the neutrons.

Building a working fusion reactor that produces more power than it takes to cause fusion is a challenge.

Tangential, I'm told there's still on-going research into 'Cold Fusion', usually by other names, and perhaps some-one will figure WTF was actually happening.
The best explanation I have read is on the "Low Energy Nuclear Reactions" pages. Some weird interactions between hellacious voltages and amperages (250kv and 50,000 amps kinds of numbers), with cosmic ray interactions doing something to catalyze the process. This has been observed and fusion-energy neutrons detected in high altitude thunderstorms, for example, so we know that it does work to a low level.

Well, Rosatom actually made research on the hybrid fusion-fission reactor (which would use Tokamak-type device to produce fusion plasma, that would bombard the thorium fuel with neutrons - thus "burning out" the Th-232 and resulting U-233 by intence neutron radiation. Boosted-fission reactor, sort of. Currently it's still a theory, but, well, Rosatom is a world leader in advanced reactors. They are the guys who are most likely to figure it out.
If a Russian math/physics nerd tells me he's figured out something, I will put money that he is correct.

OMG. I despair. :rolleyes:
One problem, he said, was wrong sizes for the joints of blocks to be welded together for the installation’s 19 metres by 11 metres (62ft by 36ft) chamber.

The second was traces of corrosion in a thermal shield designed to protect the outside world from the enormous heat created during nuclear fusion.

Fixing the problems “is not a question of weeks, but months, even years”, Barabaschi said.
1) How the hell did those joint sizes get past blueprint review, let alone production?

2) Let me guess, construction was suspended pending funds for a while, so the thermal shield was left exposed to the elements?

weird interactions between hellacious voltages and amperages (250kv and 50,000 amps kinds of numbers), with cosmic ray interactions doing something to catalyze the process. This has been observed
Just today phys.org has the article:
"New plasma instability sheds light on the nature of cosmic rays."

With accelerators smaller...could you line a tokamak with them for modification of plasma?

Part of me thinks an energy generating reactor needs a little of everything... lasers hitting a palladium target inside a....

Now iron can indeed be fused...even if poorly...but for constant fusion.. maybe an iron cigar type wrapping---very thin mind you---filled with more easily fused materials can be a sacrificial fuel rod inserted into a reactor like coal in a furnace...Tsander autophagy style.

Last edited:
I was talking about hybrid fission-fusion thorium reactor research:

Tokamak and MSR hybrids, that's the way to go.

Molten Salt Reactor has a tritium waste issue - and need fast neutrons to turn (a) U238 into U235 b) U238 into Pu239 and c) Thorium 232 into Uranium 233. Can also be fed with dismantled A-bomb cores and nuclear waste.

And now, the good news: Tokamak could help. Not only would it provide the said fast neutrons BUT it would also thrive on that pesky tritium. It LOVES tritium for breakfast and dinner.

Bottom line: MSR helps salvaging the billions sunk into Tokamak since 60 years or more. Fusion fission alliance (should we could that fuission ?)

The Russians once had one damn good idea: they wanted to turn their T-15 tokamak into such hybrid.

New material for fusion

New way to charge batteries

Coding

Last edited:
The latest

Radiation and water

Helicity Space raises $5 million for fusion engine development

Report includes a status of work.

Lockheed Martin Ventures invests in Helicity Space

SAN FRANCISCO – Helicity Space, a California startup developing fusion engines for spaceflight, announced an investment April 2 from Lockheed Martin Ventures.