• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Nuclear Fusion

Flyaway

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
AI will help solve problems with nuclear fusion or so at least the US Federal government seems to believe.

The world’s largest nuclear fusion project began its five-year assembly phase on Tuesday in southern France, with the first ultra-hot plasma expected to be generated in late 2025.

The €20bn (£18.2bn) Iter project will replicate the reactions that power the sun and is intended to demonstrate fusion power can be generated on a commercial scale. Nuclear fusion promises clean, unlimited power but, despite 60 years of research, it has yet to overcome the technical challenges of harnessing such extreme amounts of energy.

And on a different tack.

uk 75

Reaction score
1965 was an eventful year (my beloved TSR2 got canned) but it also marked the opening near my home town of Oxford of another futuristic project.
Reading this, it seems another of my lost futures along with Syd Mead's cars and the Boeing SST.

Flyaway

Reaction score
Researchers find unexpected electrical current that could stabilize fusion reactions

Electric current is everywhere, from powering homes to controlling the plasma (link is external) that fuels fusion (link is external) reactions to possibly giving rise to vast cosmic magnetic fields. Now, scientists at the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL) have found that electrical currents can form in ways not known before. The novel findings could give researchers greater ability to bring the fusion energy that drives the sun and stars to Earth.

Related journal article:

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
This could prove to be quite useful indeed.