Nuclear Effects During SAC Delivery Missions

quellish

I don’t read The Drive. The Drive reads me.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for linking, Interesting to see the flight crew wearing eye patches (latter half of the film depicting simulated mission)

Thanks for linking, Interesting to see the flight crew wearing eye patches (latter half of the film depicting simulated mission)
I knew I heard of that somewhere! Makes sure you've got at least one good eye in case of flash blindness. Was sort of an ad-hoc solution, the creepy-ass EEU-2/P PLZT goggle-mask pictured below for SAC bombers. Neat thing, it's not something like a self-tinting welding mask or those lenses for glasses, they're made with a sandwich of polarized glass and an interesting electro-optical ceramic. At "rest" it's completely opaque as seen in the picture, but when supplied with an electric charge it turns transparent-ish (the helmets used a 28V power pack). A photosensor trips the circuit breaker if a dangerously intense flash is detected, so within a few miliseconds they snap back to being opaque.

150512-F-AN422-005.JPG

I knew I heard of that somewhere! Makes sure you've got at least one good eye in case of flash blindness. Was sort of an ad-hoc solution, the creepy-ass EEU-2/P PLZT goggle-mask pictured below for SAC bombers. Neat thing, it's not something like a self-tinting welding mask or those lenses for glasses, they're made with a sandwich of polarized glass and an interesting electro-optical ceramic. At "rest" it's completely opaque as seen in the picture, but when supplied with an electric charge it turns transparent-ish (the helmets used a 28V power pack). A photosensor trips the circuit breaker if a dangerously intense flash is detected, so within a few miliseconds they snap back to being opaque.

View attachment 696555

Hmmmm . . .

4292641007_c3110938d1_b.jpg

they snap back to being opaque.
Sounds like the 'Joo Janta 200 X' fear sensitive sun glasses worn by Xaphod Beeblebrox in THGTTG . . .

cheers,
Robin.