Northrop QSP studies (military and civil)

Sundog

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I have more designs to scan in, but I was wondering if anyone has seen a three view of this Northrop design? I found one more view (side) of it on the cover a PDF report, but it's very small and I'll have to track it down again.

Attachments

• Northrop-QSP-2.jpg
    Northrop-QSP-2.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 675
Here two more pics I have

Attachments

• idr020215_1_p.jpg
    idr020215_1_p.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 748
  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 753
Thanks, that bottom pic is the one I was talking about that I had seen but didn't have. :) Well, I actually have the top one already and I think the image I posted was just a version of your first one where someone cut out the background.

yeah sorry i forgot the QSST had braced tails/wings i was so focused on the northrop strut braced.

Found these in an old DARPA QSP presentation. Nothing particularly new, but they show some additional information on the Northrop/Raytheon "dual-relevant" concept.

Attachments

• NGC_QSP_p06.jpg
    NGC_QSP_p06.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 258
  • NGC_QSP_p03.jpg
    NGC_QSP_p03.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 389
  • NGC_QSP_p02.jpg
    NGC_QSP_p02.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 678
  • Darpa_p03.jpg
    Darpa_p03.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 705
Found a lot interesting stuff here http://www.sonicbooms.org/F5SSBD/F5SSBE_Index.htm
May be quite useful for F-5 model conversion to F-5SSBD.
F-5SSBD initial configuration and cockpit also are here.

Attachments

• F-5SSBD cockpit1.jpg
    F-5SSBD cockpit1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 150
  • F-5SSBD 3-4.jpg
    F-5SSBD 3-4.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 214
  • F-5SSBD--.jpg
    F-5SSBD--.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 284
  • F-5SSBD-.jpg
    F-5SSBD-.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 181
  • F-5SSBD CG.jpg
    F-5SSBD CG.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 158
  • F-5SSBD final.jpg
    F-5SSBD final.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 139
  • F-5SSBD initial.jpg
    F-5SSBD initial.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 163
  • F-5SSBD initial1.jpg
    F-5SSBD initial1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 248
Hi,

Here is a new configuration for SST by Northrop from

http://www.flightglobal.com/PDFArchive/View/1998/1998%20-%203422.html

Attachments

• Northrop SST.JPG
    Northrop SST.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 255
I have that issue of Flight, there was a whole SST section in that issue with many proposed Japanese designs and supersonic business jets from Dassault and Gulfstream/Sukhoi.

Northrop / Raytheon Aircraft QSP SSBJ study from ca.2000

Status as of December 2000 - "Milestone 1 was completed in"...haven't seen anything more till then

Attachments

• ngraytheonssbj2000.jpg
    ngraytheonssbj2000.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 256
F-5SSBD patent
http://www.google.com/patents/pdf/Aircraft.pdf?id=NvwVAAAAEBAJ&output=pdf&sig=jwGgdgwcCybj2nSD-ZPzgXNZ-7o

Hi,

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/2001/2001%20-%202790.html

Attachments

• QSP.JPG
    QSP.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 147
flateric said:
Northrop / Raytheon Aircraft QSP SSBJ study from ca.2000

Status as of December 2000 - "Milestone 1 was completed in"...haven't seen anything more till then

Whoah! How fast was that designed for?

Supersonic transport aircraft concept incorporating a natural laminar flow wing and thermal laminar flow control (courtesy of Northrop Grumman and Aeronautical Systems Analysis Division, NASA Langley)

Attachments

• 14_northroptlf.jpg
    14_northroptlf.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 178
Northrop Quiet Supersonic Platform in FSA-S (Future Strike Aircraft - Supersonic) configuration, from around 2001.

Attachments

• NGC FSA-S QSP.jpg
    NGC FSA-S QSP.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 647
This is FSA concept from 1999. QSP studies were started later and those concepts were quite different in shape from this.

flateric said:
This is FSA concept from 1999. QSP studies were started later and those concepts were quite different in shape from this.
I just copied the description of this design, as published in Air & Space magazine and shown in this post: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7524.msg67289.html#msg67289 -- See item no.1 in the cover key.

If you have better intel, please do share! Knowing the definitive program designation is always important. Thank you GO!

Attachments

• Air & Space Cover Key.gif
    Air & Space Cover Key.gif
    23.8 KB · Views: 568
  • Air & Space 09-09 Crop.jpg
    Air & Space 09-09 Crop.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 571
Concept on your pic attached was first unveiled by NG on September 15, 1999.
Meantime,

"The initial Quiet Supersonic Platform (QSP) constracts were awarded to Northrop Grumman, McDonnell Douglas and Lockheed Martin Corp. on 09 November 2000.

On November 7, 2000, Northrop Grumman Corporation's Integrated Systems Sector (ISS) was awarded a contract by the U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) for Phase I system integration studies and technology development for the Quiet Supersonic Platform (QSP) program. The one-year contract is worth up to $2.5 million. This win builds upon the results of the future strike aircraft study completed for the Air Force. The future strike aircraft study helped refine requirements for the type of aircraft platform, weapons and technologies for future strike capability. Northrop Grumman will work with government laboratories, universities and other industry participants to explore breakthrough technologies, unconventional design approaches and unique systems solutions."

More info to understand timeline of FSA and QSP is here in Komadina report from 2003
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/apl/noise_emissions/supersonic_aircraft_noise//media/2-Panel2-Komadina-Northrop.pdf

OK thank you. So to clarify, both the illustration and the model (on the cover of Air & Space) represent the USAF FSA-S, but not the QSP, which was later derived from it. Do I understand this correctly? If so, Air & Space has an error in its descriptive legend.

Attachments

• NG FSA-S 1999.jpg
    NG FSA-S 1999.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 499
  • NG FSA-S 1999-2.jpg
    NG FSA-S 1999-2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 158
  • fsa1.jpg
    fsa1.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 190
I am becoming more confused than before, perhaps due to lack of alcohol ... Graham Warwick used the illustration of a later variant of FSA-S, but says it's the QSP, when it's not. I also thought it was the QSP, but I was wrong, right? Then Air & Space took the easy way out, by saying it's both ...

In the original FSA-S from September 1999, I believe the wingtips fold down in flight, like on the B-70. I decided to refer to that one as the Noisy Supersonic Platform, to un-confuse myself ...

circle-5 said:
I am becoming more confused than before, perhaps due to lack of alcohol ... Graham Warwick used the illustration of a later variant of FSA-S, but says it's the QSP, when it's not. I also thought it was the QSP, but I was wrong, right? Then Air & Space took the easy way out, by saying it's both ...

In the original FSA-S from September 1999, I believe the wingtips fold down in flight, like on the B-70. I decided to refer to that one as the Noisy Supersonic Platform, to un-confuse myself ...

The plane (FSA-S) shown directly above in Flaterics' post is design number 7 on the Air & Space cover. Aircraft number 1 is a low boom design to meet the FSA-S specification.

No, No.1 is not a low-boom design either.
Here it is http://news.northropgrumman.com/news/releases/northrop-grumman-unveils-concept-for-quiet-supersonic-aircraft

Plus slide from Komadina 2003 QSP powerpoint where No.1 shown as Mach 4.0 FSA or LRSA concept from 'recent and current' USAF studies.

Attachments

• 214661_7995c4c0-99a0-4be1-992f-85f655be5ecc-prv.jpg
    214661_7995c4c0-99a0-4be1-992f-85f655be5ecc-prv.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 140
  • Komadina 2003 LRSA NG.jpg
    Komadina 2003 LRSA NG.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 184
flateric said:
Here it is http://news.northropgrumman.com/news/releases/northrop-grumman-unveils-concept-for-quiet-supersonic-aircraft

Plus slide from Komadina 2003 QSP powerpoint where No.1 shown as Mach 4.0 FSA or LRSA concept from 'recent and current' USAF studies.
Do you have the full NG PDF?

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,604.msg244712.html#msg244712

flateric said:

That's just one low boom design, they have others. But re-reading the naming convention they used, I would agree that they meant the low boom design in your post. They also have the other low boom design they've shown, that don't use a joined wing, for long range strike as both a UCAV and manned version.

Logically, I just don't see much of boom suppression features of that M4 design, that is what makes me stay with my version, not talking of timeframe of first render appearence.

flateric said:
Logically, I just don't see much of boom suppression features of that M4 design, that is what makes me stay with my version, not talking of timeframe of first render appearence.

Oh, I agree. Unless it flies so high the sonic boom dissipates before reaching the ground. ;)

Larger version of a picture posted (much) earlier by Flateric, and also the same NG 'QSP'-derived bomber/LRS concept(-art) as posted by Sundog at the start of this thread.

Published in Flight International, 15-21 January 2002, page 37
(In a two-page article by Graham Warwick. At the end, it mentions a 'part II' to follow in the next publication but I don´t have that one anymore).

Maybe it´s already in one of the LRS/NGB/.../B-21 threads, if so my apologies, but it´s a bit much to search through all of them.

Attachments

• NG_QSP.JPG
    NG_QSP.JPG
    379.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom