Northrop F-15

Here's the best I've got. They are both of the second prototype, which was designated XF-15A:

Attachments

• XF-15A.jpg
    XF-15A.jpg
    574.7 KB · Views: 530
  • XF-15A_.jpg
    XF-15A_.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 514
I'll print them at the drug store and scan them at 600dpi. That should do the trick. Thanks!

I'm writing a magazine article re the Reporter and I need high res images.

:eek:
Resize the images with some nice algorithm in photoshop, gimp or xnview to get a larger but nonpixelated picture.

mz said:
:eek:
Resize the images with some nice algorithm in photoshop, gimp or xnview to get a larger but nonpixelated picture.

Indeed. This is one of the photos scaled up by a factor of three and some digital camera noise removal done. There is only so much that can be done towards improving the apparent resolution of a small digital image... but printing it out and rescanning seems an odd and certainly lossy way to go about it.

EDIT: also added a comparison... the lower part is the image scaled up 3X with "smart sizing" and digital camera noise removal; the upper part is the image scaled up with just basic pixel resizing. Printing & rescanning would give you something closer to the upper image. The lower image still kinda sucks, but it's worlds better.

Attachments

• XF-15Acomp.jpg
    XF-15Acomp.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 275
  • XF-15A-X3.jpg
    XF-15A-X3.jpg
    1,009.8 KB · Views: 198
XB-70 Guy said:
You're right of course.
God.png

OF COURSE!!!

You're too funny. BTW: The XF-15 image looks like it might have been retouched (air brushed) or something.

That's because the digital smoothing has also smoothed the grain of the photo that you are subconsciously expecting to see. Of course this image had already been stepped on several times with the consequent buildup in grain and contrast . I'll bet that a print made directly from the original 4x5 negative shot by Roy Wolford would be exquisite.

XB-70 Guy said:
You're too funny. BTW: The XF-15 image looks like it might have been retouched (air brushed) or something.
That plan view photo is one of my all-time favorite images. It's too good to be (entirely) true. I've seen two versions of this picture: the one reproduced in this thread, with the diaphanous clouds, and another, which has no clouds, and on which the spinning props are much more visible. Sorry I can't put my hand on this other shot, though--if I find it I'll post it.

Oh, I definitely agree with you on that. The image I posted shows dubious black outlining ahead of the trailing edge and rudder. This must have been an inhouse touch-up job for promotional purposes. If you can find the original picture, it could be interesting for comparison...

Stargazer2006 said:
Oh, I definitely agree with you on that. The image I posted shows dubious black outlining ahead of the trailing edge and rudder. This must have been an inhouse touch-up job for promotional purposes. If you can find the original picture, it could be interesting for comparison...

See attached images. Compare and contrast.

--Ian

Attachments

• compare.jpg
    compare.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 482
The article probably is already finished quite a while, nevertheless :
(from InterAvia June 1946)

Attachments

• Northrop_F-15_Reporter_10.JPG
    Northrop_F-15_Reporter_10.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 454
  • Northrop_F-15_Reporter_12.JPG
    Northrop_F-15_Reporter_12.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 180
  • Northrop_F-15_Reporter_11.JPG
    Northrop_F-15_Reporter_11.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 169
  • Northrop_F-15_Reporter_13.JPG
    Northrop_F-15_Reporter_13.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 182
this looks like the first pic with out the airbrushing
430691Northrop_F15_Reporter.jpg

and to think the last one survived till 1968.
7718L.jpg

the last survivor

Cutaway Norhtrop F-15, link

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=23005.0;attach=562645;image

Attachments

• 87-1.jpg
    87-1.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 91-1.jpg
    91-1.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 91-2.jpg
    91-2.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 93-1.jpg
    93-1.jpg