Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Rockwell ... maybe ???

Attachments

• Rockwell design 1.jpg
    Rockwell design 1.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 2,105
...and a little bit more on pretty little bird. I just wonder what nickname Rockwell Navy Multimission aircraft would get.

Attachments

• Rockwell STOVL design for Navy Vertical-Onboard-Delivery.jpg
    Rockwell STOVL design for Navy Vertical-Onboard-Delivery.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,486
  • Rockwell STOVL design for Navy Vertical-Onboard-Delivery1.jpg
    Rockwell STOVL design for Navy Vertical-Onboard-Delivery1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,333
  • Rockwell VSTOL design for Navy multimissions.jpg
    Rockwell VSTOL design for Navy multimissions.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,429
North American proposed a VTOL versoin of the good old T-2 Buckeye
(from Flying Review 1965)

Attachments

• North-American_Buckeye-VTOL.jpg
    North-American_Buckeye-VTOL.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,911
Hi,

this tailsitter was to have the pilot's canopy area to bend/hinge
for landings/take-offs.

Attachments

• tailsitternosebendforvisibility.jpg
    tailsitternosebendforvisibility.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 203
It's a North American Rockwell design. I forget the designation. But it's in the large "VTOL Concepts Volume 1" report that's available in PDF. Sorry I can't be more precise, but I'm sure someone knows what I'm yapping about...

has this been posted yet? soory if it has

Attachments

• rockwell-vtol-1.jpg
    rockwell-vtol-1.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 277
The pics:

Attachments

• 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 144
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 177
North American proposed a VTOL versoin of the good old T-2 Buckeye
(from Flying Review 1965)

A testbed concept. The J34 turbojet would have been replaced by a J85-GE-5 driving two lift fans.

It's hard to tell from the 3-view, but does this have a tail-mounted fan for pitch control?

cheers,
Robin.

robunos said:
It's hard to tell from the 3-view, but does this have a tail-mounted fan for pitch control?

cheers,
Robin.

It has a puffer jet with vanes on a short, tail-mounted extension, using bleed gases from the turbines.

Two designs for VTOL transports, the first probably showing the one posted in #8 by hesham.
(The captions says just "transports with the size of the CX-6A", without stating a further relations !)
From Der Flieger, November 1966.

Attachments

• NA-VTOL-transports.jpg
    NA-VTOL-transports.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 278
These are new to me, thanks a lot for sharing, Jens!

NAA V/STOL Evaluation Vehicle factory model (T2-J Trainer with General Electric Lift Fan System). This Buckeye is considerably more modified than the preliminary design shown earlier in this thread: all-new, larger wing and horizontal stab, larger lift fans, new main landing gear, etc.

Ryan eventually incorporated this G.E. system into a very successful, purpose-built airframe, the XV-5A Vertifan.

Attachments

• NAA-GE VTOL T2J 01s.jpg
    NAA-GE VTOL T2J 01s.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,072
circle-5 said:
NAA V/STOL Evaluation Vehicle factory model (T2-J Trainer with General Electric Lift Fan System). This Buckeye is considerably more modified than the preliminary design shown earlier in this thread: all-new, larger wing and horizontal stab, larger lift fans, new main landing gear, etc.

Ryan eventually incorporated this G.E. system into a very successful, purpose-built airframe, the XV-5A Vertifan.

From the File; Neueste, senkrecht startende Militärflugzeuge,here is an artist drawing to it.

Attachments

• NAA.png
    NAA.png
    376 KB · Views: 771
To the best of my knowledge, the second image depicts a Ryan project, not an NAA one.

Skyblazer said:
To the best of my knowledge, the second image depicts a Ryan project, not an NAA one.

May be you are right Skyblazer,but hard to judge,what about co-operation between NAA
and Ryan ?.

I'd rate that as somewhere between unlikely and very unlikely (based on current knowledge).

It's much more likely that it was a matter of parallel study contracts issued by the Army to the airframers to see how to best exploit the GE lift Fan technology.

Thank you Aim9xray,

and for my dear Skyblazer,I think that aircraft was neither NAA nor Ryan,but may be it was
a Douglas design,as you mentioned before;

D-793........US Army Surveillance Aircraft Study (1960)

and may be it was a V/STOL concept.

Not sure, that adding the "V" to an aircraft, that already has good STOL performance
is that profitable.

Jemiba said:
Not sure, that adding the "V" to an aircraft, that alrteady has good STOL performance
is that profitable.

Anyway my dears Cluttonfred and Jemiba,

we want to know if it was a Douglas D-793 or not ?,OK we can call it STOL concept.

I have the idea that the illustrations in post 17 & 18 are General Electric concepts
illustrating the many ways their fan in the wing technology could be used...

Jemiba said:
Not sure, that adding the "V" to an aircraft, that already has good STOL performance
is that profitable.

Maybe you should check the Elytron concept on the web. The configuration of the Elytron 2S and 7S designs combines CTOL, STOL and VTOL capacity... and all the scale models so far have been promising. The 2-seat demonstrator is currently in construction, and I can't wait to see what will come of it!

lark said:
I have the idea that the illustrations in post 17 & 18 are General Electric concepts
illustrating the many ways their fan in the wing technology could be used...

No my dear Lark,

the reply # 17 was the same reply # 15 as NAA T2-J trainer,and the reply # 18 from
Flying magazine was not GE electric design,and to prove that please look to the upper
design,it was a Ryan concept not GE.

Attachments

• Ryan.png
    Ryan.png
    304.7 KB · Views: 392
In my humble opinion Hesham , # 15 and # 17 are -not- the same aircraft.
( the wingplanform , air intakes and the undercariage are different)
The last illustration you show is indeed a Ryan Vertifan idea , one of the many...

lark said:
In my humble opinion Hesham , # 15 and # 17 are -not- the same aircraft.
( the wingplanform , air intakes and the undercariage are different)
The last illustration you show is indeed a Ryan Vertifan idea , one of the many...

My dear Lark,

the reply # 15 and # 17 differs only in the first was a Model and the second was asrtist
drawing,but in common,very close designs.

And for the Vertifan,may be GE co-operated with Ryan in development it.

I'm not convinced.
Besides , in the captions with the artist impressions in the mag.article there are
no manufacturers names nor designations exept General Electric.
Otherwise the photo's give more info...

lark said:
I'm not convinced.
Besides , in the captions with the artist impressions in the mag.article there are
no manufacturers names nor designations exept General Electric.
Otherwise the photo's give more info...

Ok my dear Lark.

The NR-365, NR-382 (conveniently reusing the "*82" Lockheed number for the Hercules) and a third, undesignated project, all from TsAGI's Tekhnicheskaya Informatsiya journal No. 17-18, 1980:

Attachments

• NR-365 etc..gif
    NR-365 etc..gif
    165.5 KB · Views: 1,884
Great find Skyblazer. According NAA's project list the NA-365 was a carrier onboard delivery aircraft for the Navy. That would fit the layout, seems to be a jet engined OV-10 based design. But what's the difference between the NA-xxx and NR-xxx designations?

An NA-xxx number means it was a North American Aviation product.
An NR-xxx number means it was a North American Rockwell product.

Indeed, when Rockwell took over NAA, NR- designations were applied to former NA- ones for programs that were still ongoing.

Also from 17-18/1980 file,

here is a Rockwell twin-boom aircraft project,but I don't know if it was STOL or
VTOL concept or not ?.

Attachments

• Rockwell 17-18-1980.png
    Rockwell 17-18-1980.png
    127.5 KB · Views: 923
hesham said:
here is a Rockwell twin-boom aircraft project,but I don't know if it was STOL or
VTOL concept or not

The acronym "СВВП"means VTOL in Russian.

Back
Top Bottom