NIIP N001 Myech radar

Deino

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure if it fits here but since it is - at least IMO - the first time I've seen an open PLAAF Su-30 radar, can anyone explain, what we see here?

Is it a protective cover since I thought its radar is still a cassegrain-type or something else?

Su-30MKK radar alleged.jpg

And by the way, I need some help concerning the original N001 Myech radar used by the Chinese original Flankers. Can anyone give an estimate on how reliable and correct these summarised reports are?

www.ausairpower.net/APA-Flanker-Radars.html#mozTocId228428

www.ausairpower.net/APA-Flanker.html

Attachments

• NIIP-N001-Radar-01S.jpg
    NIIP-N001-Radar-01S.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Transreflector-antenna-concept-of-operation.png
    Transreflector-antenna-concept-of-operation.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 51
Not sure if it fits here but since it is - at least IMO - the first time I've seen an open PLAAF Su-30 radar, can anyone explain, what we see here?

Is it a protective cover since I thought its radar is still a cassegrain-type or something else?

View attachment 675050

And by the way, I need some help concerning the original N001 Myech radar used by the Chinese original Flankers. Can anyone give an estimate on how reliable and correct these summarised reports are?

www.ausairpower.net/APA-Flanker-Radars.html#mozTocId228428

www.ausairpower.net/APA-Flanker.html
Its missing the "dustbin" part and just has the cassegrain twist reflector (circled in yellow) and feed horn.

N001.png

The Carlo Kopp articles say almost nothing interesting or useful about the N001 radar, but as a very high level summary its OK I guess?

What exactly do you want to know? I can't believe we don't have a topic for it (though the MiG-29 Avionics topic has some complex technical disussions with some N001 information)

Thanks Paul … will contact yoiu later vi PM

N001 passed state acceptance trials in 1991. Before that time was the Su-27 a “Blue Circle” aircraft?

There were contemporary Western reports of Su-27 airframes in storage awaiting radars but I don't think I've read a Russian source to that effect yet. Note that it wasn't unusual for state acceptance trials to complete many years after production commenced - so is it more like IOC or FOC?

So the SU-27 had N001 radar from first deliveries (in 1985). Early models were quite unreliable with a low mean-time-between-faliures, but they were essentially feature complete. The same was true of the AL-31F engine.

Does the N-001 and its upgrades have any ground mapping modes, RBM or SAR?

Original N001, no. I think the upgrades with the Baguet processors did have ground mapping modes.

Original N001, no. I think the upgrades with the Baguet processors did have ground mapping modes.
i think the limiting factor would be the processor and not the antenna design, from what i can remember the Tornado Fox hunter and some Saab twist-cassegrain designs did have ground attack/mapping modes.

I’m looking for pictures of the radar in production for the Su-27 with a cassegrain antenna. There is a real chaos in hundreds of web sites, publishing wrong photographs of the Phazotron N001 developed for MIG as if they were the Sukhoi 27.

Example of MIG's radar:
The arrangements and adaptations of electronic radar equipment are completely different, the fuselage adapter, the equipment rack... Other times the Su-30’s radars are being shown as if it were the radar in the nose of the Su-27. A disaster...

The only photograph I have found as true ( I think ) is this one that you have also published here.

This is other link with the same:

But is very dificult only with this, to determine the details of forms for the other side, or for the support and handler of the antenna. Are there other technical drawings, plans or photographs of the certain model? Thank you !!

Some useful stuff

Attachments

• IMG_0103.png
    IMG_0103.png
    514 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0106.png
    IMG_0106.png
    395.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0105.png
    IMG_0105.png
    441.7 KB · Views: 55
Back