NautAir Skyshark / Amjet 400 / NauticAir 450

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
A very glamurous aircraft. I really love it.

Amjet Corporation from Florida
Amjet 400 amphibious luxury corporate jet (one Allied Signal TFE 731-20)

Source: Fliegerrevue 12/1998

Attachments

• Amjet 400.jpg
    Amjet 400.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 318
I thought this was the NauticAir 450 (though as the design has changed a few times, the name may have as well):

na450e.gif

na450d.gif

NA450a.jpg

NA450c.jpg

NA450b.jpg

Regards,

Greg

[My first day with DSL - wow 8) what a progress - I'm back in SPF town ;D !]

GTX wrote:

I thought this was the NauticAir 450 (though as the design has changed a few times, the name may have as well):

In JAWA 2001-2002 was a three-view drawing of the Archedyne NauticAir 450 by James Goulding. A really nice (paper) plane!

Attachments

• Archedyne NauticAir 450.GIF
    Archedyne NauticAir 450.GIF
    31.8 KB · Views: 257
Hi Everyone!

I've found a really nice amphibian biz-jet design called the Archedyne Nauticair 450.

I just thought you'd like to see it.

Chuck

Attachments

• nauticair450,.jpg
    nauticair450,.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 133
ChuckAnderson said:
Hi Everyone!

I've found a really nice amphibian biz-jet design called the Archedyne Nauticair 450.

I just thought you'd like to see it.

Chuck

Hi Everyone!

Here's also a three-view of this same aircraft.

Chuck

Attachments

• archdyne nauticar 450.jpg
    archdyne nauticar 450.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 137
Chuck,

Boxkite already posted the 3 view here:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,181.75.html

:)

GTX/Greg
Thanks for posting the great pics. The most recent version of what started out as the Skyshark (Popular Mechanics 1971 - see bottom pic), has evolved into the Nauticair 450 aircraft -(as your pic), illustrated in the birds eye view. I'm planning to visit with the designer, (Dr. Leonard Gioia), in the near future. I will bring a video and still camera with me and post here after the visit. He and his son are still promoting the project to a financially interested party.

Regards,
Herb

Attachments

• nauticair-450.jpg
    nauticair-450.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 75
  • aquajet-2.jpg
    aquajet-2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 86
Herb,

The last I heard about the Nauticair 450 was that Dr Gioia was tied up in some lawsuit and I thought that was the end of that. I've been following the project since it was called the Amjet and was taken over by its' sleek looks and lack of a boat like hull. I never quite figured out the technology behind the Nauticair 450 and after viewing some online patent drawings, I think it that there is some channel formed under the sponson and fuselage which does away with the traditional hull design utilised on flying boats, the ultimate expression being the Shin Meiwa flying boats which draw from the design of the WW2 H8K2 Emily flying boat. I look forward to your future posts on the visit.

b2707300sst said:
GTX/Greg
Thanks for posting the great pics. The most recent version of what started out as the Skyshark (Popular Mechanics 1971 - see bottom pic), has evolved into the Nauticair 450 aircraft -(as your pic), illustrated in the birds eye view. I'm planning to visit with the designer, (Dr. Leonard Gioia), in the near future. I will bring a video and still camera with me and post here after the visit. He and his son are still promoting the project to a financially interested party.

Regards,
Herb

Greg,

Haven't discussed any legal issues yet, but can say the aircraft is officially named the Nautair 450. Dr.Gioia and son, are finishing up a half scale prototype RC! Hopefully by the time we visit, it will be ready. The patent that makes the Nautair so unique is, as you have posted, is a patented channel, as well as a retractable "step" to smooth airflow over the hull. Will be receiving a history package so I can clearly see the the evolution of this amphibian. In the meantime, attached is a sketch worked on today of the Skyshark - Dr.Gioia's original concept.....albeit a LOT of speculation went into it...especially aft of the wind root. As info recd, the print will be revised.

Enjoy~
Herb

amsci99 said:
Herb,

The last I heard about the Nautair 450 was that Dr Gioia was tied up in some lawsuit and I thought that was the end of that. I've been following the project since it was called the Amjet and was taken over by its' sleek looks and lack of a boat like hull. I never quite figured out the technology behind the Nautair 450 and after viewing some online patent drawings, I think it that there is some channel formed under the sponson and fuselage which does away with the traditional hull design utilised on flying boats, the ultimate expression being the Shin Meiwa flying boats which draw from the design of the WW2 H8K2 Emily flying boat. I look forward to your future posts on the visit.

Attachments

• Skyshark-13X18-WATERMARK.jpg
    Skyshark-13X18-WATERMARK.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 114
The Popular Mechanics article on the Skyshark is available here,

http://www.google.com/books?id=qtcDAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover#PPA77,M1

Still has the traditional boat hull at the forward fuselage but starting to show more of the planning bottom which we see in the NauticAir 450.

b2707300sst said:
Greg,

Haven't discussed any legal issues yet, but can say the aircraft is officially named the Nautair 450. Dr.Gioia and son, are finishing up a half scale prototype RC! Hopefully by the time we visit, it will be ready. The patent that makes the Nautair so unique is, as you have posted, is a patented channel, as well as a retractable "step" to smooth airflow over the hull. Will be receiving a history package so I can clearly see the the evolution of this amphibian. In the meantime, attached is a sketch worked on today of the Skyshark - Dr.Gioia's original concept.....albeit a LOT of speculation went into it...especially aft of the wind root. As info recd, the print will be revised.

Enjoy~
Herb

amsci99 said:
Herb,

The last I heard about the Nautair 450 was that Dr Gioia was tied up in some lawsuit and I thought that was the end of that. I've been following the project since it was called the Amjet and was taken over by its' sleek looks and lack of a boat like hull. I never quite figured out the technology behind the Nautair 450 and after viewing some online patent drawings, I think it that there is some channel formed under the sponson and fuselage which does away with the traditional hull design utilised on flying boats, the ultimate expression being the Shin Meiwa flying boats which draw from the design of the WW2 H8K2 Emily flying boat. I look forward to your future posts on the visit.

b2707300sst said:
Here is the blog I've done on the Skyshark subject:

http://skysharklives.blogspot.com/

Just spoke with the designer. He sent me the "new" Nauticair 450 plans. The final design is now frozen. They're building a scale rc model to flight test. The current aircraft has become a large cabin amphibian. It's closer to the GV cabin proportions and size. Look for a new 3 view profile I'm working on very soon.

Herb-

Here is the latest version of the Skyshark turbine amphibian, now known as the Nauticair 450. I was planning an April trip to visit the designer, but that is now postponed until October 2009 when the 1/8 scale model will be flying in Florida at a major RC event. Sorry don't know what it is called, but I'm going to see the Nauticair and other very large RC turbine models. Hopefully the Dassault 7X will also be there.
Meanwhile, here's my new print art images of the Nauticair 450 and Skyshark Mk.1 (The original concept amphibian designed by Dr.Gioia. Enjoy!

Herb-

Attachments

• close.jpg
    close.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 450-and-Mark-1-comp-web.jpg
    450-and-Mark-1-comp-web.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 193
  • Nauticair-450-web.jpg
    Nauticair-450-web.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 201
b2707300sst said:
Here is the latest version of the Skyshark turbine amphibian, now known as the Nauticair 450. I was planning an April trip to visit the designer, but that is now postponed until October 2009 when the 1/8 scale model will be flying in Florida at a major RC event. Sorry don't know what it is called, but I'm going to see the Nauticair and other very large RC turbine models. Hopefully the Dassault 7X will also be there.
Meanwhile, here's my new print art images of the Nauticair 450 and Skyshark Mk.1 (The original concept amphibian designed by Dr.Gioia. Enjoy!

Herb-

Very nice - please keep us informed. BTW, I can't help but to remark how useful the Nauticair 450 would be for those Hudson River landings... ::)

Regards,

Greg

HI Greg,

Thanks! Believe it or not, I've further refined the airplane. Check out the Nauticair 450 blog. The art has just been updated. Meanwhile, Dr. Gioia officially brought me aboard as a design consultant today. I will be refining exterior and cabin details. The interior design will progress this weekend. Look for more good things to happen with this airplane by the team in the near future. Currently, there has been some progress made in having a publication feature the new airplane.

Regards,
Herb

Hopefully we'll see a planned Hudson River landing in the near future!

http://nauticair450.blogspot.com/

b2707300sst said:
HI Greg,

Thanks! Believe it or not, I've further refined the airplane. Check out the Nauticair 450 blog. The art has just been updated.

I dunno... it just doesn't seem terribly "nautical" to me. Looks like a fine enough corporate jet, but the nose doesn't seem right for water landings. It looks like it could easily plow into and go under a wave. The tip of the nose seems to be too low.

Shrug.

Wait till you see the front profile. It will answer your observation.

Orionblamblam said:
b2707300sst said:
HI Greg,

Thanks! Believe it or not, I've further refined the airplane. Check out the Nauticair 450 blog. The art has just been updated.

I dunno... it just doesn't seem terribly "nautical" to me. Looks like a fine enough corporate jet, but the nose doesn't seem right for water landings. It looks like it could easily plow into and go under a wave. The tip of the nose seems to be too low.

Shrug.

From; Wings Over Water

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    631.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 2.png
    2.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 3.png
    3.png
    498.9 KB · Views: 46