Mystery drone (?) under F-15 wing

LowObservable

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Confess that this one has me stumped. What is under the port wing? My guess is that it is some kind of a drone, but it is far smaller than the only two-engine drone I can think of (CT41) other than modified Bomarc.

The rest of the load-out is pretty eccentric as well - Harpoon, Maverick and is that a Walleye?

And just to add to the fun, the wing/body fairing is non-standard and much deeper than usual. What the actual...

The source is a USAF mate.

Attachments

• mystery drone.png
    mystery drone.png
    624.5 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
BQM-111, possibly (But this looks smaller than the BQM-111 and I don't know why McAir would have access to one anyway).

I think the third missile on that TER on the the starboard wing is just another Maverick, likely a test shape without a seeker. The overall loadout looks like "Hey, we've got this stuff lying around for tests, go hang it all on the F-15 and take a picture" rather than a seriously considered configuration.

Last edited:
BQM-111, possibly (But this looks smaller than the BQM-111 and I don't know why McAir would have access to one anyway).

I think the third missile on that TER on the the starboard wing is just another Maverick, likely a test shape without a seeker. The overall loadout looks like "Hey, we've got this stuff lying around for tests, go hang it all on the F-15 and take a picture" rather than a seriously considered configuration.

Way too small for the BQM-111 - although I think that was why the configuration was vaguely familiar.

I found the photo in Lou Drendel's 1985 Squadron/Signal book on the F-15. It was credited to McDonnell Douglas but while the caption mentioned the AGM-65 and AGM-84, no mention was made of the weirdo drone/missile/object.

I found the photo in Lou Drendel's 1985 Squadron/Signal book on the F-15. It was credited to McDonnell Douglas but while the caption mentioned the AGM-65 and AGM-84, no mention was made of the weirdo drone/missile/object.

It looks like an early photo - but that does suggest that it was, at some point, released. Somewhere there should be a copy with a mimeo'd caption taped to the back, and if you don't know what a mimeo is, FUGITE HORTUM MEUM O PUERI.

It looks like an early photo - but that does suggest that it was, at some point, released. Somewhere there should be a copy with a mimeo'd caption taped to the back, and if you don't know what a mimeo is, FUGITE HORTUM MEUM O PUERI.
I can smell the word, "mimeo".