MRAP underside views?

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Does any one have more pictures of the undersides of Mine Resistant Armored Personnel carriers?
I am familiar with the pioneering mine-resistant work done in Rhodesia during the 1970s, but do not understand modern MRAPs.

Does any one have more pictures of the undersides of Mine Resistant Armored Personnel carriers?
I am familiar with the pioneering mine-resistant work done in Rhodesia during the 1970s, but do not understand modern MRAPs.

I've seen enough people (in the US!) having apparently earnest conversations about how to blow up MRAPs that I'd probably think twice about posting such pics if I had them.

The physics hasn't changed much. V-hull for the crew and pax, and all the mechanical bits are allowed to hang in the wind.

So.. subtitled for the hard of thinking... MRAPs are designed to be sacrificial to ensure the survival of the crew/passengers, not to be able to hit a mine/ied and continue to operate?

Is that correct?

They only have four wheels. Your car isn't going anywhere on three wheels and neither is an MRAP. Of course if your car hits a mine it isn't going anywhere ever again, while an MRAP might be repairable if only a wheel gets blown off and the armor protects the rest of the vehicle as well as the passengers.

So.. subtitled for the hard of thinking... MRAPs are designed to be sacrificial to ensure the survival of the crew/passengers, not to be able to hit a mine/ied and continue to operate?

Is that correct?
Yes.
MRAPs routinely sacrifice external parts like wheels, axles, engines, lockers, etc. when they detonate roadside bombs.
The key advantage is that crew usually survive.

I've seen enough people (in the US!) having apparently earnest conversations about how to blow up MRAPs that I'd probably think twice about posting such pics if I had them.
Taliban, Al Queda, etc. have already proven that - with enough explosives - they can destroy any road vehicle. They might need to bury an entire TON of TNT, but they can still flip a 70 ton M-1 Abrahams tank!