"Minerve", French missile programme

Silencer1

That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!
Reaction score
Did the 'Minerve" designation has any meaning as abbreviation, partial or complete?
After reading about this "dark project" the combination of words "MIssile, Nucleare" comes to me.
Perhaps, the name also have some indirect relation to the using of aircraft as carriers of "force de dissuasion"?

Of course, this is my pure specualtion, and any opinions are welcome!

Last edited:
Given the use of the term Coelecanthe for the project which led to the construction of the first balistic missile submarine of the Marine nationale, it is possible that the term Minerve, used for a long range air to ground missile project for the Armée de l'Air, had no hidden meaning.

More generally, there was a heavy trend to use Greek and Roman mythology names for Dassault (and others) aircraft projects.

More generally, there was a heavy trend to use Greek and Roman mythology names for Dassault (and others) aircraft projects.
Thank you!
I think, that UK have more aircraft, named after ancient gods and heroes. You words about "Dassault" aircraft names lead me to refresh my memories.
According to this post, there were no any such names: https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/avions-marcel-dassault-md-designations.1491/#post-122317
From other hand, Dassault introduced very disticntive brands "Mirage" and "Ouragan", which isn't too common in avaition history.
Anyway, there was certain differenc between naming of governmental programms and company designation systems.

If I remember correctly, Marcel Dassault named "Mystere" as hommage to his favorite book' protagonist?
I also like "Alladin" name for one of "Mystere" versions

If I remember correctly, Marcel Dassault named "Mystere" as hommage to his favorite book' protagonist?
I also like "Alladin" name for one of "Mystere" versions
The origin of the mystère name : The origin of the name Mystery is little known. Marcel Dassault, in his autobiography Le Talisman, explains the name of his second jet : “In my childhood, I particularly liked reading the books of Paul d'Ivoi who was an author in the genre of Jules Verne. His most famous book is Les Cing Sous de Lavarède, but he also wrote another book called Le Docteur Mystère. “This doctor had all kinds of unknown electrical devices. This is how he had installed a screen that allowed him to see all the events that were happening in the world, for example the carnival in Rio, the election of a President of the Republic of the United States of America , the July 14 review at Longchamp, etc. This book was written around 1900, so it was an anticipation of a panoramic radar that saw not only through clouds, but also over hills. "It was in memory of the book The Doctor Mystère , which fascinated me in my childhood, that I called my first supersonic aircraft Mystère,"12 (12. Marcel Dassault, The Talisman, Éditions J'ai Lu, 1971, p. 27.)

Attachments

• M.jpg
    M.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 55
Quick weight & dimension comparison between a) AN-11 b) ASMP and c) SRAM.
-AN-11, because the Mirage IV was essentially designed around it and its 78 cm diameter.
-SRAM, because I wanted to check its dimensions, and whether a Mirage IV could have carried it
- ASMP, because it was the standoff missile the Mirage IV enventually carried: from 1986 to 1996.

With a diameter of only 44 cm, a SRAM was a bit more than half the diameter of the AN-11 nuke. So it would have fit. And length wise: shorter than the free fall nuke too.

Very interesting !

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2023-07-09 171356.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2023-07-09 171356.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 50
Back
Top Bottom