MiG PBSh-1 and PBSh-2

Hood

ACCESS: Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has any additional info on these two ground-attack types.

Here is what I've found so far.

Work began in 1940 on Project 65 a ground attack aircraft in the same category as the Il-2.

Mikoyan used the armour plating as not only protection but also as a part of the main structure to save weight. The pilot sat under a three-piece canopy giviing all-round vision and maybe a rear gunner was to be included but I'm not sure on that.

PBSh-1
1x 1,380hp Mikulin AM-37
Estimated max speed was 292mph (470km/h) and 280mph (450km/h at sea level) and range 497 miles (800km).
I have no other stats for dimensions etc

PBSh-2
Very similar except for the reverse sesquiplane wings with a smaller upper wing and both wings being forward swept.
Work began on construction and the armour was ordered but shortly after all work was stopped when the Il-2 proved capable enough for the job. I have seen a 3-view in 'OKB MiG' by Piotr Butowski and Jay Miller but a lack of a scanner prevents me posting pictures here.

Hood said:
I wonder if anyone has any additional info on these two ground-attack types.

Here is what I've found so far.

Work began in 1940 on Project 65 a ground attack aircraft in the same category as the Il-2.

Mikoyan used the armour plating as not only protection but also as a part of the main structure to save weight. The pilot sat under a three-piece canopy giviing all-round vision and maybe a rear gunner was to be included but I'm not sure on that.

PBSh-1
1x 1,380hp Mikulin AM-37
Estimated max speed was 292mph (470km/h) and 280mph (450km/h at sea level) and range 497 miles (800km).
I have no other stats for dimensions etc

PBSh-2
Very similar except for the reverse sesquiplane wings with a smaller upper wing and both wings being forward swept.
Work began on construction and the armour was ordered but shortly after all work was stopped when the Il-2 proved capable enough for the job. I have seen a 3-view in 'OKB MiG' by Piotr Butowski and Jay Miller but a lack of a scanner prevents me posting pictures here.
Source: Plane's "MIG" 1939-1995 by Belyakov & Marmen 96 Avico press

Attachments

• PBSh.jpg
    PBSh.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 834
  • PBSh 2.jpg
    PBSh 2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 787
Thanks, these are the only decent pictures I've ever seen! :)

My sources state that this aircraft was a dive bomber (Пикирующий бомбардировщик штурмовик - Pikiruyushchiy Bombardirovshchik Shturmovik - Dive Bomber Attack Aircraft). If so, it was not in the same category as the Il-2.

Another interpretation could be Пикирующий бронированный штурмовик (Pikiruyushchiy Bronirovannyy Shturmovik - Armoured Dive Attack Aircraft).

Specifications PBSh-1:
1x AM-38
2x 23mm Taubin-Baburin MP-6 cannons with 96 rpg
6x 7,62mm ShKAS with 750 rpg
up to 700 kg bombs carried on two underwing racks and in small bomb bays
449 km/h at sea level
472 km/h at 1250 m
Did not meet the requirements for an aircraft to be produced in 1941 and not eligible for further development.

Specifications PBSh-2:
Same engine and guns
Less bomb load (200 kg) and poor performances, lower than preceding aircraft.
Same verdict.

(Source: Gordon - Komissarov)

This is another great source.
Athpilot

Attachments

• Shturmoviki_VOV.jpg
    Shturmoviki_VOV.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 330
From the foregoing source: page 126
In accordance with the plan of experimental aircraft for the years 1938-1939. designers S. Kocherigin, A Dubrovin and I. Sukhoy were given the task to create a single sit.armored attacker with better than that ILYUSHIN IL-2 [or more precisely BSh-2/TsKB-55] aircraft performance data.
In addition to these designers of armored attack at this time on its own initiative worked OKB A. Mikoyan (PBSh) and Design Bureau the plant number 32 NKAP (BSh-MV)
In addition to digest the information on this project (through Google translator) here :
http://www.airwar.ru/enc/aww2/pbsh.html
Also attached chart armamment of attack aircraft.

Attachments

• PBSh-1.jpg
    PBSh-1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 300
  • PBShS.jpg
    PBShS.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 297
PBSh-2 was designed as a full biplane.
In a note to the conceptual design attacker PBSh-2 OKO aircraft factory number 1
contained the following precise instructions: "Given the fact that the flights monoplane with high wing loading closely at the ground
are very complex, and that monoplanes not forgive blunders pilots
at low altitudes, we have developed a project PBSh-2 aircraft, intended the same plane PBSh-1, on biplane scheme.

Biplane in flight technique is much simpler. they also
have a much better stability and controllability than monoplanes. "
Save photo model in the wind tunnel T-5 TsAGI, apparently an early configuration of the (very simplified), differs from the accepted forms completely.
Of the so-called Bi-Mono, the first thing that comes to mind of the Soviet Air Force is a project light bomber (based attack aircraft) "Pegas" by Tomashevich.

Attachments

• ???-2 i_019.jpg
    ???-2 i_019.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 113
  • ???-2.jpg
    ???-2.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 'Pegas' (light bomber project).jpg
    'Pegas' (light bomber project).jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 134
Thank you for this addition, borovik !
Then it actually was an attempt to lessen wing loading and achieve