Meindl Aircraft from Austria

Maveric

Fight for yor Right!
Reaction score
I have found some interesting Erich Meindl aircrafts and projects...
Have fun.

Attachments

• Meindl M-4-.jpg
    Meindl M-4-.jpg
    951.7 KB · Views: 292
Meindl M.5

Attachments

• Meindl M-5 (Meindl-van Nees A-VII).jpg
    Meindl M-5 (Meindl-van Nees A-VII).jpg
    932.9 KB · Views: 214
3view of the M.5

Attachments

• Meindl M-5 (Meindl-van Nees A-VII)-.jpg
    Meindl M-5 (Meindl-van Nees A-VII)-.jpg
    812.8 KB · Views: 202
Meindl M-9 (Meindl-van Nees A-IX)

Attachments

• Meindl M-9 (Meindl-van Nees A-IX).jpg
    Meindl M-9 (Meindl-van Nees A-IX).jpg
    955.6 KB · Views: 178
  • Meindl M-9 (Meindl-van Nees A-IX)-.jpg
    Meindl M-9 (Meindl-van Nees A-IX)-.jpg
    755.5 KB · Views: 179
Meindl M-10 (Meindl-van Nees A-X)

Attachments

• Meindl M-10 (Meindl-van Nees A-X)-.jpg
    Meindl M-10 (Meindl-van Nees A-X)-.jpg
    830.7 KB · Views: 108
  • Meindl M-10 (Meindl-van Nees A-X).jpg
    Meindl M-10 (Meindl-van Nees A-X).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 88
Meindl M-11 (Meindl-van Nees A-XI)

Attachments

• Meindl M-11 (Meindl-van Nees A-XI).jpg
    Meindl M-11 (Meindl-van Nees A-XI).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
  • Meindl M-11 (Meindl-van Nees A-XI)-.jpg
    Meindl M-11 (Meindl-van Nees A-XI)-.jpg
    823.9 KB · Views: 95
Meindl M.1

Attachments

• Meindl M-1-.jpg
    Meindl M-1-.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 92
  • Meindl M-1.jpg
    Meindl M-1.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 79
Meindl M.2

Attachments

• Meindl M-2 Linz.jpg
    Meindl M-2 Linz.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Meindl M-2 Linz-.jpg
    Meindl M-2 Linz-.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 84
Meindl M-3 (Meindl-van Nes A-III)

Attachments

• Meindl M-3 (Meindl-van Nes A-III)-.jpg
    Meindl M-3 (Meindl-van Nes A-III)-.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Meindl M-3 (Meindl-van Nes A-III).jpg
    Meindl M-3 (Meindl-van Nes A-III).jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 86
Meindl M-7 (Meindl-van Nees A-VII)

Attachments

• Meindl M-7 (Meindl-van Nees A-VII).jpg
    Meindl M-7 (Meindl-van Nees A-VII).jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Meindl M-7 (Meindl-van Nees A-VII)-.jpg
    Meindl M-7 (Meindl-van Nees A-VII)-.jpg
    755.8 KB · Views: 97
Meindl M-8 (Meindl-van Nees A-VIII)

Attachments

• Meindl M-8 (Meindl-van Nees A-VIII)-.jpg
    Meindl M-8 (Meindl-van Nees A-VIII)-.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 94
  • Meindl M-8 (Meindl-van Nees A-VIII).jpg
    Meindl M-8 (Meindl-van Nees A-VIII).jpg
    599.6 KB · Views: 86
Meindl M-12 (Meindl-van Nees A-VIIb Kadett)

Attachments

• Meindl M-12 (Meindl-van Nees A-VIIb Kadett).jpg
    Meindl M-12 (Meindl-van Nees A-VIIb Kadett).jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Meindl M-12 (Meindl-van Nees A-VIIb Kadett)-.jpg
    Meindl M-12 (Meindl-van Nees A-VIIb Kadett)-.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 103
Meindl M-15 (Meindl-van Nes A-XV)

Attachments

• Meindl M-15 (Meindl-van Nes A-XV).jpg
    Meindl M-15 (Meindl-van Nes A-XV).jpg
    440 KB · Views: 91
  • Meindl M-15 (Meindl-van Nes A-XV)-.jpg
    Meindl M-15 (Meindl-van Nes A-XV)-.jpg
    718.8 KB · Views: 92
Neat stuff, thanks, never seen these before. Any more info or at least dates on these designs? Cheers, Matthew

look at this ;)

Attachments

• Meindl 1.doc
    55.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Meindl 2.doc
    33 KB · Views: 54
Great work my dear Maveric,

but we must merge those topics,because the anther one has most of Meindl aircraft
and projects,and should change the title;
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1562.0.html

To complete your list,

Meindle A.XVI (M.16) was two seat low-wing ultra light pusher aircraft project of 1941,
powered by one 95 hp Walter Minor engine,also called Entwurf I.

Attachments

• 16-1.png
    16-1.png
    205.6 KB · Views: 208
  • 16.png
    16.png
    412.3 KB · Views: 221
Meindl M-16 (Meindl-Hager A-XVI)-

Attachments

• Meindl M-16 (Meindl-Hager A-XVI)-.jpg
    Meindl M-16 (Meindl-Hager A-XVI)-.jpg
    793.2 KB · Views: 206
Meindl M-17 (Meindl-Hager A-XVII)

Attachments

• Meindl M-17 (Meindl-Hager A-XVII)-.jpg
    Meindl M-17 (Meindl-Hager A-XVII)-.jpg
    820.3 KB · Views: 203
@Jens: Dann walte deines Amtes ::)

Attachments

• Meindl-van Nees A-VII.jpg
    Meindl-van Nees A-VII.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 99
Excellent thread this one.
Was this" Van Nes" Dipl-Ing Wilhelm van Nes from Arado? That would explain the "Arado tails" in some of these projects (M8/8/10/11/12)... If so, that makes an interesting connection.

Wurger said:
Excellent thread this one.
Was this" Van Nes" Dipl-Ing Wilhelm van Nes from Arado? That would explain the "Arado tails" in some of these projects (M8/8/10/11/12)... If so, that makes an interesting connection.

YES , the Arado's van Nes is the Albatros' van Nes and the Meindl's van Nes ( just have a look on the Albatros L 100 and the Meindl-van Nes A VIII …)

Attachments

• Numériser 7.jpeg
    Numériser 7.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Numériser 8.jpeg
    Numériser 8.jpeg
    970.9 KB · Views: 113
I have the scans for some time, but I do not remember the source. It was a small booklet of Keimel , the well-known authors.

Thanks hesham for your rescue... :p
Source:
Ob. Ing. Erich Meindl, Flugzeugbauer aus Osterreich. Ein Beitrag zu 200 Jahre Luftfahrt in Osterreich

Thanks Richard, for pointing that connection with Albatros, I know the L101/102 better. Does that source/reference book include more late 30`s/early 40`s projects?

hello hesham,

thank you for your input.

in the meantime i found out, that this meindl a.vii (a kit-built by ludwig weber in ethiopia ) was on display at the museum vigna di valle (near rome) and probably is now stored there.

in the meantime i found out, that this meindl a.vii (a kit-built by ludwig weber in ethiopia ) was on display at the museum vigna di valle (near rome) and probably is now stored there.
MORE : (an interesting story)

http://www.crezan.net/pag_aby/abyssinia_avi_eth1.html

Google traduction :

Ludwig Weber's project In February 1932, the Ethiopian air force accidentally lost the Farman 192, offered by France on the occasion of the Emperor's coronation for his personal use. To replace it, the Ethiopian government decided to have the Junkers W.33c repaired, which crashed in December 1929, and which had itself been replaced by a Farman F.192. The reason Junkers is returning to court is unknown. Since its accident in December 1929, the wreck has been stored in the hangars of Jan Meda. It is very possible that David Hall, adviser to the Negus and half-breeds of German origin, played a role in promoting this solution. But, it is likely that the device had seduced the emperor in 1929. Either way, to complete this repair, Junkers sends a technical mission led by a former WWI pilot, Pilot Engineer Ludwig Weber. Weber carried out this repair to the Emperor's full satisfaction, but he was not only a good engineer: he was also an entrepreneur who, after the war, created a factory of automobiles and motorcycles under the brand LuWe. And, betraying Junkers who wanted to develop his sales to the Ethiopian government, Weber discovered his own objectives in Ethiopia and proposed to the Emperor the creation of a national aeronautical industry. The Emperor is particularly sensitive to this proposal. He knows that Italy does not depend on foreign countries for its supply of military equipment, while respect for the international agreements that Ethiopia has signed with the three great colonial powers - France, Great Britain and Italy - prohibit it from acquire combat aircraft. Given the financial and human resources available to Ethiopia, Ludwig Weber's work ultimately focuses on the adaptation to the Ethiopian environment of a light aircraft being designed in Austria, the Meindl Van Nes A.VII (M7). It is a three-seater monoplane, equipped with a low power engine (95 hp), intended for air tourism or small commercial transport, and can be used for training. The Van Nes AVII was developed and built by engineer Wilhelm Van Nes in collaboration with Erich Meindl in the latter's workshops in Linz. Its development schedule gives some indication of Weber's. The design of the Van Nes AVII was carried out in 1932; its simple construction was carried out the same year, first the fuselage, then the airfoil, and finally the empennage. Financial difficulties delayed its completion, the acquisition of an engine being finally obtained from Junkers in Dessau in 1933. The first flight of the aircraft took place in Linz on August 8, 1933, the aircraft receiving its airworthiness certificate. August 26. It was probably at the end of 1933 or the beginning of 1934 that Weber decided on this camera; For his part, Van Nes agrees to modify his device to define a version that meets Ethiopian needs and the specificities of the country. The design of the project was completed in December 1934. Ethiopia 1 The Ethiopia 1 resulting from this work therefore includes significant modifications compared to the original AVII version. The front passenger seat is replaced by the student seat. The length of the aircraft is slightly reduced from 7.45m to 7.32m, mainly by a shortening of the engine mount, while the student and pilot cockpits are slightly advanced to correct the center of gravity. Replacing the two-seater bench seat with the student seat makes it possible to reduce the width of the fuselage, which results in a slight reduction in the wingspan which is reduced from 10.50m to 10.30m. Flaps are added to improve low-speed performance, with the flap and control surface assembly occupying the entire length of the wing's trailing edge. The aircraft is equipped with a more powerful engine than the AVII: a Walter NZ80 "Venus I" with 7 cylinders developing 115 hp. It has an original German propeller (Schwartz) made of wood. The construction of Ethiopia 1 took place in 1935 in Jan Meda. The welded tube construction of the structure is carried out by mechanics from Junkers, while the wings are carried out under the supervision of a German carpenter used to building gliders. The canvas cloth is painted in silver, and named "Tsehai" (sun) from the name of the princess. The first flight would have taken place in December 1935 (some sources indicate February 1936) and would have been very satisfactory. When the Italians arrived, the aircraft, which only had about 30 hours of flight time, was hidden - like the DH 60 - in the eucalyptus forest near Jan Meda. It would have been tested by the Italians.

In 1941, the aircraft was acquired by the Aeronautical Museum of Caserta. It is then transferred to the Aviation Museum in Vigna di Valle.

Last edited:
hello hesham,

thank you for your input.

Hello Web,

as my dear Richard respond,but I am from Egpyt,and if I find anything
more about this subject,I will send it to you.

Ludwig Weber, who built the first airplane for Emperor Sellasie in Ethiopia, was a pioneer from Freiburg. In 1928, he was employed by Junkers as an engineer and had to go to Ethiopia in 1932 to restore a destroyed JU W33c. Ludwig Weber was my grandfather, and I wrote a book about his life and work.