McDonnell Rotorcraft

McDonnell Model 38/XH-20 "Little Henry"...

Attachments

• xMcDonnell Model 38 XH-20 head on view.jpg
    xMcDonnell Model 38 XH-20 head on view.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 832
... and the McDonnell XV-1.

I'm hunting for more in the archives!

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• xMcDonnell XV-1 tufted.jpg
    xMcDonnell XV-1 tufted.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 116
  • xMcDonnell XV-1 rotor blade strength.jpg
    xMcDonnell XV-1 rotor blade strength.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 120
  • xMcDonnell XV-1 Lambert color.jpg
    xMcDonnell XV-1 Lambert color.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 132
  • xMcDonnell XV-1 Head On View.jpg
    xMcDonnell XV-1 Head On View.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 646
  • xMcDonnell XV-1 flying.jpg
    xMcDonnell XV-1 flying.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 685
  • xMcDonnell XV-1 Army Aviation Museum.jpg
    xMcDonnell XV-1 Army Aviation Museum.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 798
This probably sounds like a stupid question but what's the difference between the Hot Cycle Rotor systems employed by Hughes and McDonnell Douglas? For one, I noticed the MD systems appear more compact.

All contributions pertaining to the Model 78 (XHRH-1) have been moved to a separate topic here along with new stuff.

All contributions pertaining to the Model 86 (XHCH-1) have been moved to a separate topic here.

All contributions pertaining to the Model 158 (LOH proposal) have been moved to a separate topic here.

All contributions pertaining to the Model 120 (V-1 « Jeep ») have been moved to a separate topic here.

All contributions pertaining to the Models 99 and 113 convertiplanes have been moved to a separate topic here.

McDonnell High Speed Rotary Aircraft Report found on eBay.

Source:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MCDONNELL-HIGH-SPEED-ROTARY-REPORT-/290760223172?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b2a8e9c4

Attachments

• $T2eC16FHJI!E9qSO8HTpBQKEdyJ4K!~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16FHJI!E9qSO8HTpBQKEdyJ4K!~~60_57.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 24
  • $(KGrHqVHJ!sE+Nl!3hSTBQKEdvG(Cg~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqVHJ!sE+Nl!3hSTBQKEdvG(Cg~~60_57.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 21
  • $T2eC16dHJGQE9noMbTwKBQKEdscJfQ~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16dHJGQE9noMbTwKBQKEdscJfQ~~60_57.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 19
  • $(KGrHqVHJEIE+WPz!LynBQKEdpU7hQ~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqVHJEIE+WPz!LynBQKEdpU7hQ~~60_57.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 35
  • $T2eC16VHJF0E9nmFRoweBQKEdjwQnQ~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16VHJF0E9nmFRoweBQKEdjwQnQ~~60_57.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 35
  • $T2eC16FHJF8E9nnC6LF+BQKEdhL(U!~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16FHJF8E9nnC6LF+BQKEdhL(U!~~60_57.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 37
  • $T2eC16FHJI!E9qSO8HTpBQKEdelvfg~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16FHJI!E9qSO8HTpBQKEdelvfg~~60_57.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 35
  • $(KGrHqRHJ!4E+OLdc+!FBQKEdcLoMw~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqRHJ!4E+OLdc+!FBQKEdcLoMw~~60_57.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 37
McDonnell High Speed Rotary Aircraft Report found on eBay.

Attachments

• $T2eC16NHJGYE9nooh,K6BQKEd1M4S!~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16NHJGYE9nooh,K6BQKEd1M4S!~~60_57.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 16
  • $T2eC16FHJF0E9nmFQW7mBQKEd3s+Hg~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16FHJF0E9nmFQW7mBQKEd3s+Hg~~60_57.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 21
  • $T2eC16ZHJGwE9n)yUYq,BQKEd9z7!w~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16ZHJGwE9n)yUYq,BQKEd9z7!w~~60_57.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 28
Hi Jos :)
Fascinating movie and perfect illustration how tests took place in that era. No helmet or hard head and imagine any helicopter manufacturer performing tests on what seems a public road, in present times!
BTW, never know that for early trials, a different tail configuration was used.

Any more of such treasures hidden in your shoe box?
Brgds Walter

Jos Heyman said:
The two XH-20s were serialed by the USAF as 46-689/690 but the tail of this test aircraft shows the serial 14856. Anybody got any idea what that might represent?

The entire alphanumeric string appears to be an Army [Air Force] Contract Number, presumably for the XH-20 project. Now why would McAir paint that on the tail? For the film report?

walter said:
Hi Jos :)
Fascinating movie and perfect illustration how tests took place in that era. No helmet or hard head and imagine any helicopter manufacturer performing tests on what seems a public road, in present times!
BTW, never know that for early trials, a different tail configuration was used.

Any more of such treasures hidden in your shoe box?
Brgds Walter

Suggest you go to 'The Bar' where I have posted the URL for this movie collection.

aim9xray said:
Jos Heyman said:
The two XH-20s were serialed by the USAF as 46-689/690 but the tail of this test aircraft shows the serial 14856. Anybody got any idea what that might represent?

The entire alphanumeric string appears to be an Army [Air Force] Contract Number, presumably for the XH-20 project. Now why would McAir paint that on the tail?
Confirmed. The USAF contract for the first McDonnell Model 38 prototype (c/n 673) carried the number W33(038)-ac-14856. I can only assume that this might have been used on the tail at a time when the type had to be identified while no official designation had yet been allocated.
Some sources claim the second XH-20 was not built... still, company records say otherwise. It was mentioned as built, carried AF contract number AF33(038)-937 and c/n 909.

Hi,

the last thing to discuss tonight about this Germany site,it belongs to
McDonnell Model-55 helicopter project,if we look to MD list,we will find
that; Model-55 was two place twin ram jet helicopter for Army.

And those drawing from the site also has the same features,may be they
wrong may be they right,I don't know.

http://kulturserver-nds.de/home/hubtest/medien/Typenkartei3953xGUN7x9T3Z7.pdf

Attachments

• Model-55.JPG
    Model-55.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 281
hesham said:
the last thing to discuss tonight about this Germany site,it belongs to
McDonnell Model-55 helicopter project,if we look to MD list,we will find
that; Model-55 was two place twin ram jet helicopter for Army.
And those drawing from the site also has the same features,may be they
wrong may be they right,I don't know.

The archive to which these PDF belongs is apparently that of a prominent helicopter museum in Germany.

I should think therefore that the information therein is as reliable as can be. They would not invent stuff!

By the way, it seems you didn't link the correct file. The Model 55 is nowhere to be found in the document you mention... Please link the correct file and mention the page number next time. Thanks.

I think I have seen the German website mentioned by Hesham before and found it, at the time, full with inconsistencies. So, although I do not suggest they 'invent things', I would not rely too heavily on its correctness.

Those pictures are from the archives of the Hubschraubermuseum Bückeburg (Helicopter Museum Bückeburg),
I've tried to contact the with regards to those files twice, but still yet to no avail. The pictures itself are authentic,
but the "descriptions" often are more criteria for sorting. They may not be wrong in a common sense, but as long,
as we don't know the reason, for which they were gathered that way, they should be regarded with care ! Often we
could cross check them and they were ok, but there are some, which are just cross-references, not designations.

Many libraries relied for years upon a system of cards, organized in small wooden drawers.
Each card had a number.
Info and/or photos could be part of the cards. Sometimes it could be a magazine clipping too, I guess.
My two cents is that the museum scanned all cards at some points to turn them into a convenient (?) set of PDF files.
Unfortunately the person who turned the result to PDF didn't really know much about aircraft and allowed for a few inconsistencies here and there.

The card is shown on page 43 (of the 63 pages), unfortunately the sources ("Quellen") aren't mentioned. They are for
several other cards and then usually a scan of the back was provided, too. But here we drew a blank. :-\

Back
Top Bottom