http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1990/1990%20-%200300.html

Attachments

• Delta.JPG
    Delta.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 122
wat for a design B)
twin first stage !

nice find hesham

Very interesting. The Delta 7930 appears to be the forefather of Delta III, if you flatten the first-stage LOX tank to the same diameter as the upper stage.

Byeman said:
The "wide body" is the Delta III

Good catch. I must not have been looking close enough. Biggest difference between the wide-body sketch and the final D-III is the enlargement of everything from the LOX tank forward to 4m diameter.

Any info on the genesis of Delta IV? There's a natural progression from the Delta III upper stage to the Delta IV upper stage. The move to a hydrogen first stage was motivated by a desire to use the same fuels on both stages, but I don't know any more than that.

The Japanese modified their licence-build Delta (N1 and N2) with a LE-5 cryogenic second stage. That was the H1.
I can't remember where but I've heard that, post-Challenger MDD considered a licence-build H1 to relace the basic Delta.
Why bother with a new cryogenic second stage when a foreign country did the job well ?

Archibald said:
Why bother with a new cryogenic second stage when a foreign country did the job well ?
Because Japan didn't export items that may have military applications.

CFE said:
Any info on the genesis of Delta IV? There's a natural progression from the Delta III upper stage to the Delta IV upper stage. The move to a hydrogen first stage was motivated by a desire to use the same fuels on both stages, but I don't know any more than that.

The DIV diameter was based on the Titan IV 16.7 foot diameter fairing. The RS-68 was based on the STME