McDonnell-Douglas / Boeing F-15 Eagle

No doubt there will be a full investigation as to what caused the crash whether it was weather (according to some reports there was fog in the area at the time, indeed there was fog where I live in Central Scotland this morning and it did not fully lift until the afternoon) or something else.

"We are deeply saddened by the loss of Lt. Allen, and mourn with his family and his fellow Reapers in the 493rd Fighter Squadron. The tremendous outpouring of love and support from our communities has been a ray of light in this time of darkness," Colonel Will Marshall, 48th Fighter Wing commander, said in the statement released Tuesday. Allen is survived by his wife and parents.

"We are deeply saddened by the loss of Lt. Allen, and mourn with his family and his fellow Reapers in the 493rd Fighter Squadron. The tremendous outpouring of love and support from our communities has been a ray of light in this time of darkness," Colonel Will Marshall, 48th Fighter Wing commander, said in the statement released Tuesday. Allen is survived by his wife and parents.

Thanks for the update TomcatVIP.

...and another terrible loss. I feel for the family and friends.

Well it's not like CFIT Avoidance software (GCAS) still are black magic today. The new F-15EX should bring some relief for the pilots and their families although I do not know for sure if it has GCAS.
But 35 do.
This is why force modernization is a priority. There is no rational explanation why pilots should still die that way during training in what on safety ground should be only seen as a Mach2 Cessna...

Last edited:
Merged a bunch of F-15 related topics to a general topic.

Here's some interesting stuff -

Eagle Talk​

Eagle Talk is a multi-volume series that McDonnell Douglas published in the 70’s and 80’s. They’re essentially compendiums of previously published issues of the MCAIR Product Support Digest. For whatever reason, none of the original artwork from the PSDs were saved, so these compendiums are filled with photocopies of the material. In some cases you can even see where they’ve photographed a page that has holes for a 3 ring binder.

Because the photographs are so poor, I’ve had to process some of these as “color/grayscale” in order to preserve as much of the original as possible. This means that the file sizes are unusually large.

Volume II’s photos appear to consist entirely of nth generation photocopies and the quality is even worse than Volume I, which I didn’t think possible. As a result, 99% of the pages were processed as black & white in an effort to reduce the file size.

Volume IV was printed on glossy paper and of MUCH higher quality than the previous three volumes. For this reason, I treated the entire thing as color/grayscale and the results are very nice and clear. There is some page shine from the scanner’s lamp, but that’s due to the high gloss of the pages and the rather directional light source I have installed.

Eagle Talk Volume I – 100 Pages, 70MB

Eagle Talk Volume II – 218 Pages, 20MB

Eagle Talk Volume III – 190 Pages, 13MB

Eagle Talk Volume IV – 68 Pages, 52MB

Historical Documentation​

F-15 Spin Workshop, May 20th, 1976

F-15 Radar Set PSP Computer Program Development Specification, 1980

F-15 Radar BIT Data (Built In Test), August 1980

Well it's not like CFIT Avoidance software (GCAS) still are black magic today. The new F-15EX should bring some relief for the pilots and their families although I do not know for sure if it has GCAS.
But 35 do.
This is why force modernization is a priority. There is no rational explanation why pilots should still die that way during training in what on safety ground should be only seen as a Mach2 Cessna...
If only it were that easy. One SIB we briefed ages ago was for an aircraft that executed a nose low maneuver from over 20 kft, really fast that couldn't recover. Night, IMC, missed the first shot, moving fast, in the dark it's real easy to lose SA and put the nose into the wrong part of the dive chart. The spatial D HUD tapes were scary as hell also, and all of us knew the B-1 guys who went down in Diego.

GCAS and the like are great for the low level environment, the newer FBW's also have some spatial D modes. Unfortunately the albino Eagles are still old school hydro-mechanical.

Anybody know what these are for? (Specifically. I already know they're an antenna, radome, and vent. :) )

Untitled-1.jpg

Interestingly, these radomes appear on Israeli F-15D as well, although I haven’t seen them on the single seat C models.

A cursory search suggest that the radome may contain a SATCOM antenna and a UAV control unit for the back seater. A similar radome apparently appears on Israeli AH-64s.

Attachments

• 32B2C8DD-273E-468B-B5DE-E02BA5DF7C0B.jpeg
    32B2C8DD-273E-468B-B5DE-E02BA5DF7C0B.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 69
Anybody know what these are for? (Specifically. I already know they're an antenna, radome, and vent. :) )
Antenna = UHF I believe
Radome = Satcom
Vent = part of environmental control systems/air conditioning - it has been there from F-15A

Had never noticed the vent before. (Of course it's everywhere now. :) )

Attachments

• 1238px-Rafael_Python_3_1.jpg
    1238px-Rafael_Python_3_1.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 140
  • F-15A-658-IAF.jpg
    F-15A-658-IAF.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Israeli_Air_Force_F-15D_Baz_957_1.jpg
    Israeli_Air_Force_F-15D_Baz_957_1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 119
  • message-editor_1615201249838-message-editor_1513724340455-nnhahd21313131.jpeg
    message-editor_1615201249838-message-editor_1513724340455-nnhahd21313131.jpeg
    267 KB · Views: 118
  • 957-02.jpg
    957-02.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 115
That is Python-3 AAM Pylon!
Im pretty sure he was referring to the other pylon, which has this.
Which looks to be the Python 3 pylon already mentioned. It just looks like an IFR probe from the front due to its downward kink. Resolution is a little low to see if an CATM is fitted further fooling it to look like an IFR probe. Python 3 CATM's are often seen without any fins fitted.

Last edited:
That is Python-3 AAM Pylon!
Im pretty sure he was referring to the other pylon, which has this.
Which looks to be the Python 3 pylon already mentioned. It just looks like an IFR probe from the front due to its downward kink. Resolution is a liitle low to see if an CATM is fitted further foolong it to look like an IFR probe. Python 3 CATM's are often seen without any fins fitted.
Again ... That is Python-3 AAM Pylon!

Attachments

• blue_flag_2021_9-1200x738.jpeg
    blue_flag_2021_9-1200x738.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 92
  • blue_flag_2021_6-1200x806.jpeg
    blue_flag_2021_6-1200x806.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 82
  • blue_flag_2021_7-1140x570.jpeg
    blue_flag_2021_7-1140x570.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 71
  • blue_flag_2021_5-1200x805.jpeg
    blue_flag_2021_5-1200x805.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 78
  • AF11-2.jpg
    AF11-2.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 95

yemen war's recent video display the missile hit and visible undefeated F-15
can remember at least 7 confirmed missile hits in Eagles:

1982 - R-60 (survive)
1991 - S-75 (lost)
1991 - AIM-9 (friendly fire, survive)
1995 - AIM-9 (friendly fire, lost)
January 7, 2018 - R-27T (survive)
March 21, 2018 - R-27T (survive)
2021 - SA-6 Kub or derivative (survive)

looks like it jet was demonstrated very high survivability rate

Last edited:
They really deserve that upgrade. I think Japan is the last user of the Original F-15A. Their first upgrade program to F-15J-Kai ended up similar as F-15C. Later Boeing offered "F-15FX" program which adds AESA and other fancy stuff.

Probably not quite correct but you get the idea:

155.png

Yes,but the numbers of F-15 are not known.

Wow. But how many different breeds of fighters do the egyptians have ? They have Dassault and MiG and Sukhoid and F-16 and... what else ?

Nice collection ! They only lacks Typhoons :p

And they still have Mirage V, wow ! And they once had Phantoms, MiG-21 and MiG-23/27.

Their NASM / Le Bourget military aviation museum must be quite a sight. Doesn't have much to spend to get cold war fighters: they only borrow from the Air Force past inventory and stocks.

Last edited:
Nice collection ! They only lacks Typhoons :p

And they still have Mirage V, wow ! And they once had Phantoms, MiG-21 and MiG-23/27.

Their NASM / Le Bourget military aviation museum must be quite a sight. Doesn't have much to spend to get cold war fighters: they only to borrow from the Air Force past inventory and stocks.

We have also Mirage-2000,and Typhoon will be in the way;