• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Martin JRM Mars Flying Boat: Commercial Projects of 1944

jzichek

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Greetings All,

My name is Jared Zichek and I've finally joined your wonderful forum. I've been researching, writing and illustrating articles and books on various esoteric aspects of aviation history for about 8 years now. Recently I've started a new magazine focused on US aerospace R&D from the 1920's throught the 1950's. The first issue is about commercial derivatives of the Martin Mars flying boat:

This magazine reproduces a lavish promotional brochure from 1944 of the Martin JRM Mars Transport Airplane, a commercialized version of the world’s largest production flying boat. The magazine covers three proposed versions of this luxurious “flying hotel” with 65 stunning color illustrations and photos throughout. A beautiful artifact from a vanished era, this 36 page monograph is printed in brilliant full color on high quality 80 lb semi-gloss paper with saddle-stitched covers. For a full preview of the magazine, please visit <a href="http://magcloud.com/browse/Issue/3629">MagCloud</a>, the printer and distributor of the American Aerospace Archive.

Domestic US customers should order the magazine directly through MagCloud; shipping is $1.40 per copy. MagCloud does not yet ship outside the US (though it will do so in the near future); in the meantime, international customers may order the magazine through my website, <a href="http://aeroarchivepress.com/">aeroarchivepress.com</a>.

We've already published a second issue, which I will profile in the postwar forum. I will be offline the next few days but will field any questions you may have next week. I really enjoy this forum and look forward to participating in the discussions ahead!

Best Regards,

Jared Zichek​

Antonio

ACCESS: Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow!. Love US projects from that time!!. You have a loyal customer here :)

lark

Reaction score
I clearly remember your marvelous articles in the Wings/Airpower magazine.
Great to have you here...

Skybolt

Reaction score
And the BIG book on the Boeing XF8..
BTW, in the preface you hinted at other incoming publications on wartime Boeing fighter projects... now our hope lives again !! ;)

jzichek

Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Thanks for the kind words! Scott Lowther covered several of the WW II Boeing fighter projects in APR, but I've unearthed more of them at NARA. They will definitely show up in a later issue of The American Aerospace Archive, unless someone else publishes them first. :)

Also, thanks to all who ordered some issues over the weekend - they will be shipped ASAP. Note to international customers: we currently have a bug with our shopping cart system that ends up charging $5 too much for postage if you order 2 different issues - I refund this amount ASAP.

Finally, I have sent review copies of the Mars monograph off to the major aviation history/modeling magazines in Europe - I am not subscribed to most of these magazines, so apart from the British ones that are imported over here, I won't know if they review it or not. If someone does spot a printed review of the Mars or FJ-5 monographs, I'd appreciate it if you could mention it here or email me at editor@aeroarchivepress.com - I want to make sure I'm not sending these off in vain.

jzichek

Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
I just put the first 6 pages of the magazine up on <a href="http://www.scribd.com/doc/12874446/The-Martin-JRM-Mars-Flying-Boat-Commercial-Projects-of-1944">Scribd</a>, a document sharing site. Unlike the MagCloud preview, this is high resolution, allowing you to get a good look at some of the illustrations. If you have not yet purchased the magazine and would like to view this high quality excerpt, check it out!

Andrewjs2007

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Jared

Liked the look of the Martin Mars volume, so have just ordered one.
I love these commercial flying boats, the clippers etc.

Now if I could only get somoeone like you guys to do a volume on the US Navy's large rigid dirigible projects from the late 1930s (after the loss of the Akron and Macon) through to the late 1940s.
Then of course supplemental to this, are the commercial proposals which came from Goodyear from late 1920s-late 1940s.

Anyway I wish you luck with future projects

Andrew

jzichek

Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Andrew, thanks very much! I am quite an enthusiast of airships myself, though I don't have a whole lot of original material concerning the topic in my collection, unfortunately. I do hope to do another issue down the line focusing on interwar commercial projects that will include clippers and floatplanes though.

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
Now if I could only get somoeone like you guys to do a volume on the US Navy's large rigid dirigible projects from the late 1930s (after the loss of the Akron and Macon) through to the late 1940s.
Then of course supplemental to this, are the commercial proposals which came from Goodyear from late 1920s-late 1940s.
Thanks to Jemiba I ordered a copy from this book:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6303.0.html

There are a few ads from Good Year showing that airship proposals. There is an aircraft carrier airship with Corsair fighters.

Regards,

Antonio

Kevin Renner

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
By 1944 one would think the handwriting was on the wall as to commercial flying boats. Except for the remoter areas of the world it had to be easy to see that the war would have the result of littering the world with airstrips. Plus the DC-4 and Connie were already on line

jzichek

Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
This did not seem to stop several flying boat manufacturers (Martin, Convair, Short, Saunders-Roe) from trying to keep the concept alive. They often attempted to market commercial versions of their military flying boats well into the 1950's, I believe - a great deal of money had already been sunk into design, development, tooling, etc.-why not spend a bit more to develop a commercial proposal? As an aviation enthusiast, I wish they had succeeded, but I doubt I could have afforded to fly on one! Land-based airliners are just more economical to operate.

OM

Reaction score
Website
www.io.com
...Here's a NACA Langley test of theconducted in 1944 in the center's Tow Tank. The JRM-1 model used was 1/12 in scale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KAT4o6B-JE

jzichek

Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Greetings All,

A PDF ebook version of "Martin JRM Mars Flying Boat: Commercial Projects of 1944" is now available:

It is priced at a reasonable $3.95 and is available through <a href="http://aeroarchivepress.com/?p=12">AeroArchivePress.com</a>. Unique to this version is a special 3 page legal size section reproducing several of the illustrations from the main body of the magazine in an uninterrupted landscape format. For a full preview of the contents, please visit <a href="http://www.magcloud.com/browse/Issue/3629">MagCloud</a>, where you can also purchase the printed version for just $9.95.

Best Regards,

Jared Zichek​

blackkite

Don't laugh, don't cry, don't even curse, but.....
Reaction score
Hi Jared! I ordered. It's incredibly economical. Thanks a lot.;)

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
http://longstreet.typepad.com/thesciencebookstore/2012/08/artistic-comparative-display-of-quantitative-data-winning-the-battle-of-the-atlantic-by-flying-over-.html

In October 1942 the war was shifting to the way of the Allies--the United States had come into the fight ten months earlier, Operation Barbarossa (begun in June 1941) was at this time being recognized as a complete failure (though the operation would continue on for two more years, costing 5 million German army lives, 20 million Soviet civilian lives, and 9 million Soviet army lives and more when all was said and done), and American military production was very well underway and unbeatable, and so on. The Battle of the Atlantic however was still very much underway, with action returned their, again, during the summer and autumn of 1942.

One way of defeating the U-Boot was to not sail the Atlantic much at all, and flying troops and supplies above it. As we can see in this compelling graphic from The Illustrated London News of 17 October 1942, the editors of that magazine made a case for the Mars flying boat. It was a theoretical case, as the 5,000 Mars planes depicted in the graphic never materialized--actually, it seems as though only seven were made.

But the case looked very compelling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqjYoMrXT2w&feature=player_embedded

RyanCrierie

Crazy Researcher
Reaction score
Website
www.alternatewars.com
Decided to post this here; as we didn't have a dedicated MARS thread:

WAR PRODUCTION BOARD
WASHINGTON, D. C.
MEMORANDUM
July 28, 1942​
To: Files
Subject: Proposal for Replacing Cargo Vessels with Cargo Aircraft
A brief study made by the Navy regarding the proposal that a fleet of Martin Mars flying boats be built to replace cargo vessels has brought out the following data.
First, approximately 10,000 Mars aircraft would be required to replace 100 cargo vessels of the 10,000 ton size for carrying cargo 3000 miles, assuming that gasoline for the return trips of the Mars aircraft would be available at destination so that they would not have to carry their own gasoline supply for the round trip.
To operate these Mars aircraft 80,000 trained men would be needed, whereas 100 cargo vessels would require a total of only about 4,000 men of whom 1,000 would have to have special training.
The Wright 3350 Cyclone engines to operate these Mars aircraft would total 80,000 units, assuming 100% spares on the basis of 2750 man hours per engine, and figuring that the entire quantity would have to be produced in two years in order to see service in this war, a total of about 35,000 men would be required for the production of the engines alone.
Since material shortages are critical, it is obvious that the construction of 500 Mars flying boats per month would have a very serious effect on presently planned programs for other types of aircraft.
One other item to note is that 100 cargo vessels would ordinarily keep 100,000 to 150,000 fighting men supplied with equipment, food, and other necessities. To do this with Mars flying boats would mean that 80,000 very well trained personnel would be required to operate the flying boats to keep 100,000 to 150,000 men supplied for fighting Since trained pilots, navigators, radio operators, etc. are scarce, this in turn would reduce the number of skilled personnel available to operate fighting aircraft.
It was the opinion of the Navy personnel with whom I discussed this subject that the man power and materials could be used more effectively by building and operating fighting aircraft, probably of the heavy bomber type, to destroy the opposition's submarine building facilities and thereby eventually reduce the cargo vessel sinkings to a point where they would again become a reliable method of transportation. The Navy indicated that they were not too optimistic over the possibilities of combating the submarine menace with aircraft as this method has been rather unsuccessful to date.
Edwin C. Walton
Proj. Eng.-Heavy Bombers
Aircraft Production Division​