MAI (Moscow Aviation Institute) ATF style model?

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Photo by Ken Duffey at keymags, from MAI in Moscow. Possibly a student design project, it looks quite similar to Rockwell ATF studies. Anyone know more?

Attachments

• mai_20.jpg
    mai_20.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,269
Also, notice the experimental landing system, that doesn't require tires ;D

But seriously, look closely and the wings seem to be all-moving. I've heard of such things for hyper-sonic aircraft, but this clearly isn't that.

It also seems to have 2-D engine nozzles.

Hopefully, Duffey took more pictures from other angles. It could be the students' idea of an MFI or even PAK FA.

--Gavin.

Interesting; I can't throw any more light on this, except to agree that the overall layout is strikingly similar to the mid-80s Rockwell ATF design.

For comparison, here's the Rockwell concept.

http://www.aircraftdesign.com/atfpnt.jpg

Attachments

• RockwellATF.jpg
    RockwellATF.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 904
The photos were made in MAI.

As I suppose, this model is from the end of 80th.
What can it be?

Attachments

• 0_bb3f5_1c321820_XL.jpg
    0_bb3f5_1c321820_XL.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 737
  • 0_bb3f6_b6854fa2_XL.jpg
    0_bb3f6_b6854fa2_XL.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 742
It's not 'Sukhoi'. it's just one of hundreds graduate projects.
And I presume that year was 1983.

It reminds me of the Raymer ATF with a variable incidence wing. Quite a good-looking design, student-made or not.

Interesting thouh - is this the four engined design?

I'm curious about how it was supposed to gain control in pitch. 2d thrust vectoring? Spoilers?

Avimimus said:

I'm curious about how it was supposed to gain control in pitch. 2d thrust vectoring? Spoilers?

It's twin engined; look at the reflections in the glass shelf of the bottom of the model. Also, it appears it as 2D nozzles. It looks very similar to the work done by McDonnell Douglas in the 70's on variable incidence wings, which are also on this forum.

Avimimus said:

Looks like there is a pitch-control flap between the engine nozzles to me.

I sent this picture before,but I don't remember where,

stashandr said:
How did this graduate project call?
usually something like non-exciting 'twin-engined air superiority fighter'

1999 graduate advanced fighter project
thesis supervisor was Oleg Samoylovich

Attachments

• samoylovich 1.jpg
    samoylovich 1.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 835
  • samoylovich 2.jpg
    samoylovich 2.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 736
  • samoylovich 3.jpg
    samoylovich 3.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 714
while looking at side view, I bet it would receive smth like 'Rickets' nickname among ground service crews
inlet duct cross-section at B-B rises one's eyebrows,
but Paralay would be satisfied with number of missiles though)

btw, Mikhail Pogosyan graduate project was a joined-wing fighter

:eek:

http://studopedia.su/12_80272_k-viboru-shemi-samoleta.html

So, our mystery fighter appears to be an optimized Su-27 layout created to serve as an example for a particular configuration design strategy. Not Sukhoi, but using a Sukhoi as the starting point. The dashed pivot axes indicated mid-chord at the wing roots suggest the variable incidence wings are no accidental damage to the model either, and there are other features not present on the model - Mirage Milan style retractable "moustaches" and an AFTI F-16 like direct lift control surface.

Attachments

• image377.jpg
    image377.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 419
A little cleaner. :)

Attachments

• image377 .jpg
    image377 .jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 397
Perhaps it is just me but, I expect there to be similarities. The laws or rules of aerodynamics will be the same so using my logic, there will be similarities between aircraft from different nations but in the same class.

Like formula one cars set to the same current rules in the formula.

Foo Fighter said:
Perhaps it is just me but, I expect there to be similarities. The laws or rules of aerodynamics will be the same so using my logic, there will be similarities between aircraft from different nations but in the same class.

Not just aerodynamics but structure and power plant as well.

Remember the Breguet range equation B)

Dan Raymer's Rockwell ATF and CCV studies influence is obvious.

...and the McDonnell Douglas Vectored Lift designs like the one at the header of this site.

sienar said:
Foo Fighter said:

Not just aerodynamics but structure and power plant as well.

Remember the Breguet range equation B)

Yes, I was trying to keep it simple but I get the reminder point. I am reminded how much I hate what I would call maths or mathematics, yes I am old.