Macchi M.12 original configuration

Avimimus

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hello,

I got curious about this design. However, there are relatively few accessible online sources, and most of them relate to the Schneider race aircraft (which was modified).

The twin hulls seem to have been intended so that the rear gunner could fire down (gun tunnel).

So, I'm curious about the speed, role, and payload of the original 1918 design. Anyone more knowledgeable than me?

From Abate/Lazzati "Velivoli Macchi dal 1912 al 1963" (hope, I got the translation right):
Central hull with twin booms, powered by 12 cyl. Ansaldo San Giorgio 4E28 V-engine with 450 hp,
span 17.00 m, length 10.90 m, height 3.66 m, empty weight 1,780 kg, take-off weight 2,560 kg,
max speed 190 km/h, ceiling 5,500 m, range up to 950 km, two Fiat machine guns in ring mountings
and 4 bombs.

Attachments

• Macchi_M-12.jpg
    Macchi_M-12.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 189
Thanks!
It carried four crew?
It is interesting that they seem to have prioritised speed and defensive armament over bomb load... (although it isn't mentioned how large those four bombs were)...

Avimimus said:
It carried four crew?

The source says "triposto", what I would translate as 3-seat. Sorry, missed that point on my first post.

Interesting... according to Ralph Pegram's book there was enough room for three crew in side-by-side seating (at least by the time it was used for racing).