M-28 Dahu (Hungary)

walter

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
I love the excellent listing of Hungarian designs in the Designation System by Apophenia.
Maybe my post should be in that topic, but my question concerns one particular design.
I noted the M-28 Dahu (including the photo) and I am left with some questions on this design. Can it be that there were an M-28 Dahu and an M-28 Dahu II (HA-DAR see photo). Please Note the big difference in undercarriage and (possibly) the engine cowling. AFAIK the M-28 Dahu II was developed from an unbuilt earlier design, but could that "unbuilt" design be the Dahu? I furthermore understand that HA-DAR was a design under leadership of Mr. M.Weiss and built by Sirály Repülőgepgyár Kft and first flown 4 November 1949 and dismantled late 1950. From Apophenia`s list I saw that the Dahu was designed by Zámolyi and Lakatos.
I hope someone can shed some light on these two Dahu aircraft and what connections they have.
Thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

• M-28 Dahu .jpg
    M-28 Dahu .jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 85
  • M-28_Dahu II.jpg
    M-28_Dahu II.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 89
Good question Frank. I don't know the answer but would speculate that the single prototype M-28 was rebuilt at some stage since it was an experimental machine. The original undercarriage may simply not have been robust enough. That doesn't explain a cowling change (although repairs to a one-off aircraft after a hard landing might).

A clarification: I saw the discussion group reference to the M-28 having been designed by Manfred Weiss. The titular head of the Weiss Manfréd Muvek, he was of course an industrialist not an aircraft designer. As noted in MSrE Designations list, the M-28 was designed by Ferenc Zámolyi and Emil Lakatos.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,10542.0.html

Not sure, that the cowling really is different. The angle from which the photo
of the Dahu II was taken is different, maybe just more emphasizing the circular
intake around the prop and the same may be true for the lower part of the nose, which
looks more angular on the Dahu II. But in a direct comparison (nose of the Dahu II
mirrored) there aren't many differences lesft, I think.

Attachments

• cowling.jpg
    cowling.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 65
Hi Jemiba, I think you are perfectly right. Both aircraft (or the same after modification?) had an Argus As-10C engine, so cowling should not have changed much.
Thank you and Apophenia for the reactions!