• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Lunar Worm Vehicle

flateric

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
9,043
Reaction score
863
Found via efforts of Mike Holt from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/space-modelers/ - his son found well-known pic on Mark Wade's site, and Mike found much more...

One of the most wonderful machines I've ever seen.

Original paper http://hdl.handle.net/2060/19660022562
 

Attachments

  • worm.jpg
    worm.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 187
  • worm1.jpg
    worm1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 188
  • worm2.jpg
    worm2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 193
  • worm3.jpg
    worm3.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 201
  • worm4.jpg
    worm4.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 189

Lauge

ACCESS: Secret
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
435
Reaction score
7
Gotta love it ;D ;D ;D

But shouldn't that be "Arrakis..." rather than "Lunar..." ? ::)

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Denmark
 

Antonio

ACCESS: Top Secret
Staff member
Senior Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
3,450
Reaction score
181
Amazing!

BTW, from a zoological point of view it is more a caterpillar rather than a worm ;)
 

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
7,901
Reaction score
1,134
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
Recently observed subscale demonstrator. Sort of a unmanned vehicle; notice the antennae, clearly for ULF communications with submerged submarines.

 

robunos

You're Mad, You Are.....
Senior Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
1,893
Reaction score
232
who built it, the _caterpillar_ corporation?? LOL!! ;D :p ::)

cheers,
Robin.
 

Lauge

ACCESS: Secret
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
435
Reaction score
7
OM said:
"...He who controls the regolith, controls the universe!"

Well, considering the kinds of resources that are supposedly available from the Lunar regolith (metals, oxygen, helium3,....) that could be partially true, I suppose. Maybe not the universe, but the perhaps the Solar System. CIS-Lunar space, certainly ;)

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Denmark
 

Simon666

ACCESS: Confidential
Joined
May 9, 2007
Messages
106
Reaction score
0
Lauge said:
Well, considering the kinds of resources that are supposedly available from the Lunar regolith (metals, oxygen, helium3,....) that could be partially true, I suppose. Maybe not the universe, but the perhaps the Solar System. CIS-Lunar space, certainly ;)
Those metals and oxygen are available on earth and with regards to helium-3, as long as no working commercial fusion reactor exists it is absolutely not worth the enormous costs. There are some that claim though that for Mars missions those metals and oxygen might turn out cheaper if you get them from the moon, but I doubt it.
 

Lauge

ACCESS: Secret
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
435
Reaction score
7
Simon666 said:
Those metals and oxygen are available on earth...

Yes, today. And tomorrow. And probably the next day. 50 years from now ?

Simon666 said:
....and with regards to helium-3, as long as no working commercial fusion reactor exists it is absolutely not worth the enormous costs.

Although a commercially viable fusion reactor has been "right around the corner" for something like 40 years, I remain convinced that fusion will be one of the important power sources of the future ("the future" starting some 50 years from now). And even if exploitation of Lunar resources, such as He3, is 50 years into the future, we should start planning for it now.

Otherwise, it will always be 50 years into the future. Even in 50 years time.

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Denmark
 

Simon666

ACCESS: Confidential
Joined
May 9, 2007
Messages
106
Reaction score
0
We're getting a bit off-topic, but:

Lauge said:
Yes, today. And tomorrow. And probably the next day. 50 years from now ?
Oxygen will always be available and so will those metals. Extraction from even the poorest grades of ore will be way cheaper than getting it from the moon, unless some REALLY spectacular breakthroughs are made.

Lauge said:
Although a commercially viable fusion reactor has been "right around the corner" for something like 40 years, I remain convinced that fusion will be one of the important power sources of the future ("the future" starting some 50 years from now). And even if exploitation of Lunar resources, such as He3, is 50 years into the future, we should start planning for it now.

Otherwise, it will always be 50 years into the future. Even in 50 years time.
Why not plan one step at a time, first a fusion reactor, second one that works on He-3 since D-T fusion is WAY easier, THEN on getting the fuel for it? Further, D-D is about just as easy as He3-D and the neutronicity of He3-D is not exactly zero either, only about ten times lower than D-D. Whether the lower neutronicity is worth the MASSIVE cost of switching to He-3 is quite dubious.
 

mz

ACCESS: Top Secret
Joined
May 28, 2007
Messages
681
Reaction score
8
He-3 is produced in certain nuclear reactors as well, and more can be produced if is needed.
 

Simon666

ACCESS: Confidential
Joined
May 9, 2007
Messages
106
Reaction score
0
mz said:
He-3 is produced in certain nuclear reactors as well, and more can be produced if is needed.
Thanks, I forgot that one too. Also from nuclear weapons.
 

Lauge

ACCESS: Secret
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
435
Reaction score
7
Simon666 said:
We're getting a bit off-topic
Yes, we are ;)

Simon666 said:
Extraction from even the poorest grades of ore will be way cheaper than getting it from the moon, unless some REALLY spectacular breakthroughs are made.
Well, "always" is a very long time, and I'm not sure I entirely agree. Especially if the consequence of that "always" is that we have to strip-mine the entire planet.

Simon666 said:
Why not plan one step at a time, first a fusion reactor, second one that works on He-3 since D-T fusion is WAY easier, THEN on getting the fuel for it?
Hear-hear.

Simon666 said:
Whether the lower neutronicity is worth the MASSIVE cost of switching to He-3 is quite dubious.
Certainly. I guess my thought was that We (as in "man-/woman-kind") wouldn't be returning to the Moon just for the He3. But if we're going anyway, as I hope we are (although it looks dicey at the moment :'( ), for science, or tourism, or whatever, not making use of available resources would, I think, be foolish.

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen

PS: Let's get back to the Dune...sorry, Lunar, worms ;D
 

OM

ACCESS: Top Secret
Joined
Jun 22, 2008
Messages
753
Reaction score
12
Website
www.io.com
Simon666 said:
Lauge said:
Well, considering the kinds of resources that are supposedly available from the Lunar regolith (metals, oxygen, helium3,....)

...Otay, otay, *fine*:

He Who Controls The Helium-3 Controls The Universe!

Sheesh. :p
 
Top