looking for suggestions for a project of mine..

mithril

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
i've been working on building a faction for an Anime inspired roleplaying game (details can be found here)

one thing i've been trying to do is use real world stuff to fill out their military.. partly to make them more distinct from the official groups in the setting, and partly because real world stuff is much cooler than the things i can come up with.
but i've found it tough to find info on some things. especially concept works and where some things are built.

so i'm looking for suggestions on tanks, jets, helicopters, missiles, and so on made in the following regions, and ideally from between 1980 and about 2004 or so. concept stuff and actually built stuff are both acceptable.

Poland
Lithuinia
Estonia
Latvia
Kaliningrad
the Caucusus region
Komsomolsk-on-the-Amur

i know about some of them, like the helicopter factories in the Caucusus and the Sukhoi factories in Komsomolsk-on-the-Amur, but i'd like to know what else is made there i could use to flesh out this faction.

what i've been using so far:
Humvee's - kaliningrad (based on the fact a civilian Hummer factory was built there in the last decade..)
PT-91 Tawrdy MBT
PT-94 Goryl MBT (though i couldn't find actual images or artwork of it..)
KTO Rosomak (which i've basically described as a knock off done after the original source was lost)
PZA Loara and Loara-M
Mi-24 Hind
Mi-28 Havoc
Su-27 and derivatives

there are also BMP-1's, Mig-29's, F-16's, and such which they had but can't replace.

(note: being anime inspired and an RPG, i'm hand waving some aspects of distributed manufacturing to simplify things.. basically on the idea that the advanced technology of the setting could simplify manufacturing somewhat, and some of the major production sites could be upgraded with a more complete, all in one place production set up. i'm also assuming that a sufficiently determined technological society can produce a knockoff of something faster than inventing something new from scratch, ala Iran and China.)

You've probably already thought of the 'LAV-75'.

index.php

isn't AAI Corp an American firm? do they even have anything in the Baltic region? (they almost certainly don't have anything in central and eastern russia) i'm trying to stick to stuff the region could build on its own (since in the setting, most of the world is pummelled flat by an alien bombardment.. not much chance of them cribbing material from other nations as a result, and the other surviving groups have more anime/scifi-ish gear..)

i know about the PZL Skorpion attack plane, and i've pulled a few other things, like the Loara-M, from threads here on the forum, but there is so little info on where some stuff, especially russian stuff, is made. for example where are MiG aircraft built? Yakolev's?

The big aircraft factories built types from most manufacturers because factory and OKB were completely separate.

E.G.

IAPO Irkutsk Aviation Plant
24 types including Il-28, An-12, Yak-28, An-24, MiG-23UB, MiG-27, Su-27UBK

NAPO Novosibirsk
MiG-15, MiG-17, MiG-19 and Yak-28P, Su-9, Su-11 and Su-15, Su-24, Su-27IB

Sokol Nizhny Novgorod / Gorkii (GAZ 21)
MiG-15, MiG-17, MiG-21, MiG-25, MiG-31, MiG-29UB

MAPO Moscow (GAZ 30)
IL-12, IL-14, IL-18, MiG-21, MiG-23, MiG-29

Ulan-Ude
Mi-8, Mi-17, Su-25UB and Su-39

Tbilisi (GAZ 31)
YAK-15, YAK-17, YAK-23, YAK-17UTI, MIG-15, MIG-17, MIG-21, Su-25

that list will be very helpful, thanks.
btw, where was the Yak-38 built, and would the Yak-141 have been made in the same place?

the KNAAPO site claims Komsomolsk-on-Amur is the only producer of SU-27's.. if so when did it get moved from Irkutsk?

Komsomolsk-on-Amur make single seat Su-27s and derivatives.

Irkutsk make twin seat Su-27s and derivatives.

i'm not convinced of that since the Komsomolsk-on-Amur website has some pretty convincing evidence for me, but not really an issue. at least they have the ability to make at least a few variants, i can work with that.

any suggestions for Baltic region projects, built or unbuilt, that might be useful or fun?

Hiistorically, that was correct.

KNAAPO now offer twin seat Su-27s as well, IAPO only make twin seat models e.g. Su-30MK series.