looking for information on the Soviet ZSU-37-2 Yenisei SPAAG

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
Evening gents

I was looking for information on the Soviet ZSU-37 SPAAG, when I discovered that there was a ZSU-37-2 Yenisei.
The only information I could find was -
The ZSU-37-2 Yenisei is a later, unrelated design based on the chassis of the experimental SU-100P self-propelled gun. It was armed with a twin-37 mm 500P Angara anti-aircraft autocannon. The development of completelly new radar-guided SPAAG vehicles, namely the ZSU-37-2 and the ZSU-23-4 began in 1957. The promising ZSU-37-2 Yenisei competed with the ZSU-23-4 Shilka as the replacement for the ZSU-57-2 SPAAG but the planned series production of Yenisei was rejected in 1962 in favor to the production of the Shilka.
Does anyone have any drawings, pictures and specifications of this ZSU-37-2 Yenisei?

Sounds very interesting, I have always had a great appriciation and respect for Soviet SPAAG’s ;D

Regards
Pioneer

I have a pic and a linedrawing of the system, will post it as I get back to my flat

Attachments

• quizzjk.jpg
    quizzjk.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 197
  • zsu-37-2_drw.jpg
    zsu-37-2_drw.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 206
http://www.army.lv/?s=703&id=66
http://pvo.guns.ru/zsu-37-2/index.htm

Thanks gentlemen for your speedy response!
The picture and line drawing are great!
Looks as if it would be heavier than the ZSU-23-4, and better armoured!

But you are teasing me with those links, as I unfortunately only know one language – ‘English’ ???

Any chance of a translation please?

Regards
Pioneer

Babelfish is not too bad, though I haven't managed to save the result yet.

Translation of http://pvo.guns.ru/zsu-37-2/index.htm

Brief description

By decision S of the USSR №426-211 dated April 17, 1957. is begun the development of new rapid-firing [ZSU] “the Yenisey” and “[Shilka]” with the radar guidance systems.

ZSU “the Yenisey” was developed for the provision of air defense of tank regiments and divisions for destruction of targets against the heights to 3000 m.

In ZSU-37-2 “the Yenisey” was used as far as 37- mm the automatic machine of 500P, developed in OKB -16 (the chief designer A.E. Nudelman). 500P did not have analogs about the ballistics, and its [patronyy] were not interchanged with other 37- mm by the automatic guns of the army and navy with exception of [maloseriynoy] antiaircraft site “squall”.

Specially for “Yenisey” OKB 43 was designed the coupled gun “Angar”, equipped for the sake of two automatic machines of 500P with the belt feed. “Angar” it had a system of liquid cooling it was trunk and the servo electrohydraulic actuators, which it was intended to replace as far as the electrical.

Induction “hangars” was accomplished with the aid of the noise-shielded radiopribornogo complex (RPК) “Baykal”, created in NII-20 GKRE and worked before the centimeter wave band - about 3 cm. however, as it was explained in the course of tests, RPK “Baykal” it could not independently with a sufficient effectiveness accomplish search for aerial target. Therefore on the decision S of №426-211 from 17.04.57 was provided for creation and transfer down official tests before the second quarter of 1960 of mobile RLS “the Ob'” for the administration ZSU.

RLS “Ob'” included was included commander vehicle “Neva” with acquisition radar “Irtysh” and RPK “Baykal”, placed in ZSU “Yenisey”. Complex “the Ob'” had to simultaneously direct fire six-eight ZSU. However, before the middle of 1959 of work along “the Ob'” were ended, all forces were cast down the finishing OF ZRK “circle”.

Chassis for “the Yenisey” was designed in KB “Uralmash (Ural Heavy Machinery Plant im. Sergo Ordzhonikidze)” under the leadership G.S. efimova on the basis of chassis of experimental self-propelled unit Su-100P. Its production was intended to deploy on Lipetsk the Tractor Plant.

ZSU-37-2 had the bulletproof armor plating, which in the places of storage of ammunition load provided protection from the 7.62-mm rifle armor-piercing bullet based on distance 400 m.

For the electric power supply of aircraft electrical wiring system “Yenisey” it was supplied for the sake of the special gas turbine engine, developed before US, whose use made it possible to [obeschpechivat] rapid readiness at the point of the combat at low temperatures of air.

Testings

[ZSU] “the Yenisey” underwent tests in parallel with ZSU “shilka”, but about its program.

Stages of preproduction tests [ZSU]

Type [ZSU] “[Shilka]” “The Yenisey”
The first experimental model is finished December 1960. December 1960.
Time of the carrying out of the plant tests December 1960. - August 1961. January 1960. - August 1961.
Time of the carrying out official tests On August 26, 1961. - On October 24, 1961. On August 10, 1961. - On October 20, 1961.
Place of the carrying out official tests [Donguzskiy] anti-aircraft firing range (Orenburg reg.) and tank range in st. Of [kubinka] (Moscow reg.)
In the course official tests:
it is made the shots 14 194 6 266
are perfected landing run, km 1 490 1 185
the duration of operation RPK, ch 172 375

“The Yenisey” had a killing zone on the distance and the ceiling, close down ZSU-37-2, and according to the conclusion of state commission " ensured” the protection of the tank troops before all phases of battle, since air attack weapons on the tank troops predominantly perform against the heights to 3000 m”. Normal firing - continuous turn to 150 shots down the barrel, then interruption 30 s (air cooling) and the repetition of cycle to [izraskhodvaniya] of ammunition load.

In the course of tests it was established that one ZSU “the Yenisey” exceeds on its effectiveness the six-gun battery 57- mm of guns S -60 and battery from [cheterykh] ZSU-57-2.

At the tests AS FAR AS ZSU “Yenisey” it ensured firing beside [dvizheniipo] to virgin soil with a velocity of 20- of 25 km/h. During the movement along the tank track on the firing range with a velocity of 8-10 km/h [ochnost] of firing was down 25% lower than based on the place. The accuracy of firing in the gun “of Angar” was 2-2,5 times higher than in gun S -68.

In the time official tests from the gun “of hangar” they made 6266 shots. In this case were noted only two delays even four breakdowns. In the course of tests it gave failures [SDU] (protection equipment from passive jamming). However, chassis showed good maneuvering characteristics.

RPK “Baykal” at the tests functioned it satisfactorily and showed the following results:

the limit of work on the target speed - to 660 m/s against the heights more than 300 m and 415 m/s against the heights of 100-300 m;
the medium range of detection of aircraft MiG-17 in the sector 30 deg. without the target designation - 18 km (maximum range of the accompaniment of a similar target - 20 km);
the maximum speed of target tracking on the vertical line - 40 deg/s. Time of the transfer beside the alert from the mode of preliminary readiness 10-15 s.
According to the data, obtained in the course of tests, it was proposed to use “Yenisey” for the defense of army antiaircraft missile systems “circle” and “cube”, since the zone of its effective firing closed over the dead zone of these ZRK.

Reception for the armament

On the terminations official tests AS FAR AS ZSU “Yenisey” and “Shilka” the commission recommended to the reception for the armament both ZSU. But after the decision S of №925-401 from 05.09.1962 for the armament was accepted only “Shilka”, and 20 [setyabrya] of the same year was published order [GKOT] about the termination of the works on “the Yenisey”. At the same time, more lately appeared order GKOT about identical rewarding of the organizations, which worked at both vehicles.

Projections

Projections OF [ZSU]-37-2 “Yenisey”

Tactical-technical given

Caliber, mm 37
Number of automatic machines 2
Index to [artchasti] Angar
Type of the automatic machine 500[P]
Weight of shell, kgf 0,733
The initial velocity of shell, m/s 1010
Ammunition load, [vystr]. 540
Total weight of automatic machines, kgf 2900
High-altitude interval of effective fire, m 100 - 3000
Slant range of firing against anti-aircraft targets, m 4500
The maximum speed of aerial target, m/s 660
Firing distance against ground targets, m 5000
Rate of fire, [vystr]./[min] 1048
Length of the maximum turn of one automatic machine, [vystr]. 150
Type RPK “Baykal”
Range of detection of a target of the type MiG-17, m 18000
Distance of the automatic tracking of the type MiG-17, m 20000
Limits of work RPK on the target speed, m/s 660/414
Bearing [VN] of gun, deg. -1 - +85
Bearing GN of gun, deg. 360
Type of the chassis object 123
Fighting weight ZSU, t 27,5
Dimensions of the installation:
- length, mm 6460
- width, mm 3100
Power of the engine of chassis, hp. 400
The maximum speed of movement, km/h 60
Crew, man. 4

Information sources

A. Shirokorad. “Shilka” and other domestic anti-aircraft self-propelled units. [Bronekollektsiya] of №2, 1998
History of domestic anti-aircraft PVO (Air Defense) of Russia

Thank you very much gents for the translation!

Regards
ioneer

Looks like its mounted on a modified FROG or SA-4 TEL hull.

sa4-1.jpg

This thread is just about dead but does anyone happen to know the length of the shells this thing fires? I've not found a single website or paper that tells me. I just keep getting told that it didn't share the length with anything except for one other relatively unknown AA system which I haven't been able to find information on.

This thread is just about dead but does anyone happen to know the length of the shells this thing fires? I've not found a single website or paper that tells me. I just keep getting told that it didn't share the length with anything except for one other relatively unknown AA system which I haven't been able to find information on.

Going by the link posted just above:

Ammunition: 540 rds. (600 rounds on TTT). The 500P automatic guns were original 37mm automatic guns and were incompatible with other 37mm cannons in terms of ammunition (except for the mass-produced Squall gun - 37mm Shkval quadruple anti-aircraft cannon, 4 500P automatic guns. Squall was developed by OKB-43, and after its liquidation - TsKB-34. The Shkval gun was accepted for mass production by Decree CM No. 116-49 dated 02/09/1959. The 500P automatic gun was manufactured by the Izhevsk plant, and the gun by plant No. 525. The production of the Shkval gun was discontinued by the Decree of the CM N^ 156-57 dated February 11, 1960).

Note that one or more automatic guns (rus. automat) are parts of a cannon (rus. pushka) in the Eastern terminology, so to speak. IOW, four 500P automats on the same mount are the part of the Shkval cannon.

Yenisey
self-propelled anti-aircraft cannon was to feature two 500P automats.

Thanks once again flateric!

How interesting that trials determined "In the course of tests it was established that one ZSU “the Yenisey” exceeds on its effectiveness the six-gun battery 57- mm of guns S -60 and battery from [cheterykh] ZSU-57-2."

"The accuracy of firing in the gun “of Angar” was 2-2,5 times higher than in gun S -68."

"ZSU "Shilka" is more effective than "Yenisei" when firing at a target of the MiG-17 type at altitudes of 200 and 500 m, respectively, by 2 and 1.5 times."

Also interesting is the "Modified ZSU-37-2 [Object 130]", with 7th road wheel, and "The engine compartment of the ZSU was unified with the T-54 and T-55 tanks." Am I correct in interpreting this as meaning that the Modified ZSU-37-2 [Object 130] was given the same engine as the T-54/T-55 tank?

Regards
Pioneer