Lockheed QT-1 'Quiet Thruster'

Apophenia

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Over in the Designation Systems section, I wrote up what I could find on the designs of Jack B. Baumann. One that I came across was the unbuilt QT-1 quiet surveillance aircraft designed in 1966-1967 with Don Galbraith while at Lockheed Missiles and Space Company.
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/jack-b-baumann-aircraft-designations.32804/#post-372872

The attached images are from US Patent Des. 212,719 -- https://patents.google.com/patent/USD212719S/en

I've quadrupled the size of the drawings which accompany that patent and the artwork has suffered accordingly. (Does anyone have any better-quality versions of these drawing?)

Since Des. 212,719 is a design patent, there are few text details. However, since the QT-1 was to be a modified Schweizer SGS 1-26A glider, its easy enough to see the layout changes.

In short, power was to be supplied by a "55 hp" Volkswagen air-cooled car engine (referring either to VW's 1967 53 hp 1500 cc HO4 or to a tweaked version of the earlier 50 hp 1300 cc). That 'pancake' engine was to be mounted to the glider's top fuselage frame aft of the wing trailing edge.

Forward of the engine was a rubber-band shaft-speed reduction system. This drove a long, slow-turning extension shaft above the single-seat cockpit. A fin-like cantilever bracing strut to support the shaft was attached to the nose (ahead of the welded steel-tube fuselage structure). In line with the extension shaft was a 4-bladed propeller.

A minor change was the installation of a small, castoring nose wheel. Otherwise the landing gear was unchanged from the Schweizer SGS 1-26A's monowheel.

Lockheed never built the QT-1 (despite online claims to the contrary) because DARPA changed its requirements on behalf of the US Army. New sensor requirements dictated a second crewman - a 'technical observer'. As a result, the single-seat SGS 1-26A glider was abandoned as a base in favour of the two-seat Schweizer SGS 2-32 sailplane. This revised concept - overseen by Stanley A. Hall under the code-named 'White World' - followed the layout of the QT-1 other than being a two-seater. This would be realized as the more powerful Lockheed QT-2 with a prototype built at the Lockheed Aircraft Service hanger at the then-San Jose Municipal Airport.

Attachments

• Lockheed-QT-1-2view.jpg
    Lockheed-QT-1-2view.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Lockheed-QT-1-top-view.jpg
    Lockheed-QT-1-top-view.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Lockheed-QT-1-art.jpg
    Lockheed-QT-1-art.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 42