Lockheed of the Late '60s 5 - Model unidentified 1

Skybolt

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
This is really intriguing. "Alata Internazionale" caption says this is an effort related to AMSA, and effectively it is clearly a low-level attack aircraft of some type. Seems big (look at the cockpit glass), and VERY advanced (Scott rightly observed that it reminds of some recent QST concept ). It sports a semi-lifting fuselage with relatively small VG wings (reminds of some late '70s penetrators by Boeing and Rockwell), but the same idea was used in some early GOR-183 and TFX designs. Problems are: it is clearly a Navy airplane; it is intended as a conventional low-level attack aircraft (an early AMSA derivative ?); there is no trace of any aircraft of this type in the CALAC (Alata Internazionale visited Burbank) record for the alleged timeframe (no later than 1969); it is completely different from the known Lockheed AMSA proposals. So, could it be a Georgia Lockheed design ? A Skunk Works' out-of-normal-series-of-TDNs effort ? Was it carrier based (a substitution for the A-5 ?) ?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Model-Unidentified-1.gif
    Model-Unidentified-1.gif
    170.4 KB · Views: 415
Land-based long-range strike system to target land-based Soviet anti-ship bombers/missiles?

I was thinking it was possibly an out growth of a TFX study? If you look closely you can see it has a VG wing and the exhaust/nozzle area sort of reminds me of the F-111, so I was thinking maybe this is a General Dynamics design study? I also say that due to the size of it. It actually looks like it's more in the F-111 class to me than AMSA, especially if one takes into consideration that it is supposed to operate from a carrier deck.

Whatever the case, it's very cool looking. Great find.

Skybolt said:
So, could it be a Georgia Lockheed design ? A Skunk Works' out-of-normal-series-of-TDNs effort ? Was it carrier based (a substitution for the A-5 ?) ?
Any help would be much appreciated.

You forgot: disinformational concept art to be given to visiting Italian journalists :)

Disinformation ? Improbable. Too little data to have value as a ruse for Soviets.
It is surely a Lockheed. Not sure WHICH Lockheed. Could even be a discarded TFX-era study, but I doubt. I'm trying to contact Baldassarre Catalanotto, the Alata Internazionale archive ended slitted up to the various people working there.