Lockheed "Micro" S-3 Viking variant (US Navy "Type A" proposal)

nova10

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information or pictures on the design for the proposed shortened smaller "micro" or "mini" S-3 Viking variant intended to operate from smaller carriers? I've been looking everywhere for it with no success. I'm sure I've seen pictures of it somewhere. Many thanks.

Orionblamblam said:
Didn't I see this same question a day or two back? Or have I finally developed precognition? ???

Yes, but you knew that.

OK, hands up, I did ask that question a few days OK but I have an excuse! As many of you know, the "jack of all trades" "swiss army knife of the Fleet" S-3 Viking is undergoing it's sundown plan and it's days are numbered. Soon it will grace the decks of the flattops no more. Unlike it's predecessor the S-2 Tracker, the Viking was too large and too heavy to use on the smaller foreign aircraft carriers. However a smaller "micro" or "mini" (I can't remember which term, I think it was micro) variant was proposed with an eye to foreign sales. This plan never came to fruition. I have been asked to contribute to a friend's book on the Viking to coincide with the type's retirement. I am contributing to a chapter on the type's early development and it's variants. I really want to add some pictures and information on the aforementioned "micro" Viking but I can't find them anywhere. Not for want of trying. Any information and pictures would be gratefully received.

nova10 said:
OK, hands up, I did ask that question a few days ...

Ah. My finely honed skills at postcognition have won the day.

I am contributing to a chapter on the type's early development and it's variants.

Never heard of a smaller version. I've seen a few proposed derivatives such as STOL, VTOL and oblique wing, but not the "micro."

I also have this:

http://www.up-ship.com/drawndoc/drawndocair.htm#airdwg15

adwg15ani.gif

Nova10

Are you thinking of the designs that the US aerospace companies were playing with for deployment aboard the planned US Navy’s Sea Control Ships (SCS)
Was it the Type ‘A’ or Type ‘B’ ??
Some of these VSTOL designs had a somewhat S-3 Viking look too them!

Regards
Pioneer

Pioneer said:
Are you thinking of the designs that the US aerospace companies were playing with for deployment aboard the planned US Navy's Sea Control Ships (SCS)
Was it the Type ‘A’ or Type ‘B’ ??
Some of these VSTOL designs had a somewhat S-3 Viking look too them!

It would have been a Type A. The Type B didn't enter service until late 1987. I can't say I'm absolutely certain it was not a proposed STOL, VTOL or oblique wing variant. I can't say for certain I'm not thinking of a SCS design. I'm pretty sure I'm not. The Canadair CL-84 AEW/ASW was the design proposed for the SCS. Either that or the ASW/AEW mission would have been fulfilled by a SH-2 Seasprite variant.

nova10 said:
It would have been a Type A. The Type B didn't enter service until late 1987. I can't say I'm absolutely certain it was not a proposed STOL, VTOL or oblique wing variant. I can't say for certain I'm not thinking of a SCS design. I'm pretty sure I'm not. The Canadair CL-84 AEW/ASW was the design proposed for the SCS. Either that or the ASW/AEW mission would have been fulfilled by a SH-2 Seasprite variant.

Type A and Type B were two notional VSTOL aircraft proposed for the USN in the 1970s. Neither entered service. Type A was a subsonic design for ASW and surveillance; Type B was a supersonic fighter.

There's one design for the Type A that kind of looks like a mini S-3, referenced in a thread here:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,783.msg30841.html#msg30841

That design and several others can be seen in the attached picture, which I found on Scramble (It's not as good as it might be; anyone got a larger version?)

Edited: CL-84 was only one of several designs proposed for SCS. Type A was defnitiely targeted for SCS as well, as the long-term design target. IN the interim, SH-3s or possibly the abortive LAMPS II were more likely than LAMPS I SH-2s.

Attachments

• 1978_02347L.jpg
    1978_02347L.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 1,010
This could be seen as a Lockheed "S-3 successor" design.
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2012.0

And here are other competitors to S-3 design
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,409.0

nova10 said:
Does anyone have any information or pictures on the design for the proposed shortened smaller "micro" or "mini" S-3 Viking variant intended to operate from smaller carriers? I've been looking everywhere for it with no success. I'm sure I've seen pictures of it somewhere. Many thanks.

Howsabout this...

Attachments

• minis3.gif
    minis3.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 854
Orionblamblam said:
nova10 said:

Howsabout this...

The drawings seems to indicate smaller turbofans, a significant reduction in span and a very significant reduction in wing area. I find this design to be very surprising, and unless there was a tremendous reduction in weight, I don't see how it would have been practical. Any further specifications or details?

Orionblamblam said:
TinWing said:
Any further specifications or details?

Dates from 1981 or earlier (1981 pub date). Has a crew of three rather than the S-3's four. No data on what engines were chosen.

Considering the date, maybe a derivative of the Lycoming ALF502/YF102? Does the nacelle look right?

The nacelles look like they are for a separate flow turbofans. Most of the ALF-502 installations I've seen were mixed flow. But the thrust range should be about right...

Sadly still nothing found on this mini / micro S-3 Viking?? :'(

Regards
Pioneer