• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Lockheed Martin F-35: News ONLY topic

GARGEAN

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Huh, initally I though that deliveries are to be comitted from 24 to 26, but whole 6 years for only 32 airframes?..

LAW

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
Six to eight years, four to six aircraft per year.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score

And at the bottom:
A Pentagon official familiar with aerospace structures said it’s possible the titanium or Inconel bolts could be incompatible with the materials they’re attached to, causing a possible corrosion issue if left uncorrected.
It could be the worst of the problem they could face with this: contamination leading to crack and localized delamination.

GARGEAN

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
I remember there were reports about excessive corrosion some months (years?) ago. Linked with this possibly?

Dragon029

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
That was a separate issue where in 2017 primer hadn't been applied to some of the holes for fasteners; fortunately the corrosion risk wasn't urgent, so it was just going to be addressed when the jets next went in for depot maintenance or upgrades. It's not a good look to have repeated quality control failures like this, but fortunately they should theoretically get reduced as the ramp-up of production flattens out again - I've heard stories about how Lockheed's rapid hiring of something like 500 new personnel at Fort Worth resulted in some people... not very experienced with sensitivities relating to aviation, being hired and causing minor mishaps on the plant floor (eg: cracking a composite flaperon by trying to move it via pulling hard on its trailing edge). As time goes on, the average experience of people on the floor should increase again.