• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Litton/Ingalls DDM (Destroyer, Missiles) 1980

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Litton Industries (Ingalls Shipbuilding) produced a privately-funded design alternative for the DDX that it called DDM (Destroyer, Missiles) in 1980.

Link to US Destroyers: An Illustrated Design History by Norman Friedman:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Tzp58htKLkEC&pg=PA399&dq=Friedman+Destroyers+DDM

Attachments

• DDM.JPG
    DDM.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 485

TomS

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
It should be obvious from the date, but just for clarity, the DDX referenced here is the Navy study begun in 1978 that eventually led to the Arleigh Burke (DDG 51) class, NOT the much later DDX that led to the Zumwalt (DDG 1000) class. Most of the pages describing this program are missing from the online version of US Destroyers.

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Just call me Ray said:
Wouldn't that be DDM = DDG?

I don't believe that Litton Industries (Ingalls Shipbuilding) intended DDM to be the US Navy classification for this class of ship. The ship was intended to be an affordable Aegis-equipped ship with VLS (vertical launch system), an alternative to the more expensive Aegis-equipped Spruance class variant that become the Ticonderoga class (CG-47) and the Aegis-equipped Virginia class variant, the unbuilt CGN-42 class. There was also the proposed Aegis-equipped strike cruiser (CSGN-01).

The Aegis-equipped guided missile ship certainly has an interesting history.

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
The reason why I say this is that the 9,600 ton Ticonderoga-class was originally classified as a guided missile destroyer (DDG), but the classification was changed before the keels were laid to CG (guided missile cruiser.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ticonderoga_class_cruiser

If built, I wonder if this 6000 ton class of ship would have originally been designated as a guided missile frigate (FFG)?