Light cabin biplanes with unstaggered wings?

cluttonfred

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
I was looking for inspiration for a possible microlight design for flying low and slow with easy wing folding and storage. I started daydreaming about something like a de Havilland DH.87B Hornet Moth, a cabin biplane with unstaggered wings, which made folding them much easier. Can anyone think of any other light cabin biplanes with unstaggered wings, whether actually built or just projects?

DH87B%20Hornet%20Moth%208121%20ZS-ALA%20SAAF%202007.jpg

I got no traction with this thread over three years ago, so let me ask again, do any other unstaggered light cabin biplanes come to mind?

Even if wings are staggered, you just need to add a strut or two to make them easy to fold. The extra struts would only carry loads while wings are folded. Try to picture a Beech Staggerwing with an extra strut extending horizontally aft of the lower wings' trailing edge. That extra strut hinged in line with the aft spar of the top wing.

True, you can make it work with staggered wings, but lining up the upper and lower rear spar attachment points with unstaggered equal chord wings or a narrow chord lower wing is much simpler.

The De Havilland Fox Moth has only a small amount of stagger, and although somewhat larger, the De Havilland DH.18, 34, and 50 aeroplanes are either unstaggered, or like the Fox Moth, only slightly staggered . . .

cheers,
Robin.