hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
From Air International 8/1982,

here is the Kawasaki KV-107-X helicopter project,consider a super Chinook,developed
from KV-107-II with many new features,does anyone hear about that beast before or
has anyone a more info about it ?.

Attachments

• KV-107-X.png
    KV-107-X.png
    579 KB · Views: 735
It looks like an upgraded Boeing Vertol CH-46 Sea Knight than a Boeing Vertol CH-47 Chinook.

My dear Rolf,

you know Kawasaki took Vertol V-107 Chinook and built and developed it,and KV-107 series belongs
to it,but I agree with you,it looks like Sea Knight.

The KV-107 was a licenced version of the Sea Knight, not the Chinook.

TomS said:
The KV-107 was a licenced version of the Sea Knight, not the Chinook.

Oh yeh,that's right,sorry.

Boeing Vertol 107 = Sea Knight >> KV-107
Boeing Vertol 114 = Chinook

;)

Hi another KV-107 base project. KAV-1B.

Please watch PDF file.

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jjsass1953/12/125/12_125_198/_article/-char/ja/

Attachments

• KAV-1B.jpg
    KAV-1B.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 469
  • wind_tunnel_test_model.jpg
    wind_tunnel_test_model.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 441
Great find my dear Blackkite,

I heard about it before,but I found no drawing to it,thanks.

Not at all my dear hesham! You are great as usual. ;)

Wingshape is somewhat similar to a later modification of the Bristol Type 173.
But I hope, that in the KAV-1B the rear loading ramp would have been omitted.
Dangers for those, exciting to the rear would have been tremendous ! ;D

Thank you my dear Blackkite,

and for my dear Jemiba,I agree with you,that the rear wing could make a disaster.

Jemiba said:
Wingshape is somewhat similar to a later modification of the Bristol Type 173.
But I hope, that in the KAV-1B the rear loading ramp would have been omitted.
Dangers for those, exciting to the rear would have been tremendous ! ;D
How about checking with Kawasaki Heavy Industries, if so anxious? ;D

The Phrog to hop yet again on a last battlefield:

Piasecki so far has hired 31 engineers and technicians in Coatesville since agreeing to buy the facility last year. The company expects to eventually employ at least 400, including those who will work on the upgrades. The CH-46, officially the Sea Knight, is well known to Marine Corps veterans as the Phrog.
[...]
The updated helicopters, Columbia Model 107-III, will include more powerful engines, glass cockpits, and improved autopilot, rotor and fuel systems.

Piasecki will remove old transmissions, rotors, and other components, ship them to Oregon for refurbishment, and install new wire and cockpit systems, along with the refurbished equipment, then paint and test the upgraded helicopters.

Good to see PiAC moving forward. Would hope they consider newer engines for the Phrog. Of course that likely means new dynamics, which means new structure, which means ...etc. Should do fine as long as they don't try to use them in the Hindu Kush. Or any other places above Sea Level.
New paint always takes 40 years of of the airframe.

From Air International 8/1982,

here is the Kawasaki KV-107-X helicopter project,consider a super Chinook,developed
from KV-107-II with many new features,does anyone hear about that beast before or
has anyone a more info about it ?.
Those elongated sponsons probably contain extra fuel tanks to extend range.

They remind me of the huge tear-drop shaped extra fuel tanks bolted to the outboard ends of the sponsons on RACF and Swedish Air Force 107s to extend time-on-search during rescue missions.

An exaggerated version is the extra-wide sponsons installed on some recently built military Chinooks.
Meanwhile the civilian Chinooks - that work as cranes - have most of their sponsons removed.