Airborne Fleet Air Defense System - MSDF

Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
This was a program, possibly inspired by the B-1C and related proposals, to procure a number of P-3C based variants equipped with the AWG-9 Radar and the Phoenix missile (likely the AIM-54C ECCM/Sealed version), for the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force. The program began as a TRDI program in late 1987, officially described as for the modification of "the conventional fleet air defense weapons for installation on aircraft. Specifically, rockets will be mounted in pylons of the P-3C to attack enemies". By mid-1988 it was a full MSDF program, with plans to bring the system on stream in the early 1990's. However rising FS-X costs and the end of the Cold War caused the plan to be shelved around 1991 or thereabouts.

It seems that the intention was to assign a few AFADS birds to each existing MSDF P-3C squadron rather than create new units dedicated to the role.

Kawasaki Heavy Industries would have been primary contractor, with MHI the likely systems integrator. I think it is safe to assume that, for the initial inventory at least, Mitsubishi was planning to procure the missiles directly from Hughes through a trading company set up for that purpose, rather than licence building the rounds itself.

Still looking for drawings and the like, but no joy so far.

Apparently, the variant would have not just been equipped with the AWG-9, but would have been a full-on AEW platform? If true, that would have made it similar in some respects to the U.S. Customs AEW variant shown below:

p-3-line-22.gif

I'm trying to track down an Aviation Week and Space Technology article from May 11th 1987 ("Japanese Self-Defense Forces Expand Modernization Programs") that may have more details.

Also, I've found a mention of the concept of arming MSDF P-3Cs with Phoenix missiles from late 1986.

Try looking up the "Lockheed CL-520" as it might be a predecessor to the AIM-54 armed version you're talking about. It was supposed to have an APS-96 radar in an AWACS style rotodome, and carry long range Bendix Eagle AAMs; 3 in the bomb bay and 7 more beneath the wing's center section. Its mission would have been long range fleet air defense for the Navy.

I found the reference in the back of this book: McDonnel-Douglas Aircraft sine 1920 Volume I and II (I think it was in Vol II) There's a line drawing and some technical info as well.

http://www.amazon.com/McDonnell-Douglas-Aircraft-since-Volumes/dp/B003I26ALU/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1372784284&sr=1-2&keywords=McDonnell+Douglas+Aircraft+Since+1920+-+Volume+I

Hope that helps somewhat,
-Mike

I was trolling through and came across this subject in the Air International August 1986 issue. I don't have scanning capabilities at the mo so will have to type it here verbatim:
The Maritime Self-Defence Force (MSDF) is currently studying the feasibility of applying the Hughes AIM-54 Phoenix AAM to its P-3C Orion fleet to provide it with self-defence and intercept capabilities. Owing to a lack of bases in the Pacific, the ASDF interceptor force cannot be used to provide air cover over the 1000 nm (1850 km) between Guam, the Philippines and the home islands. It is proposed that the P-3Cs will be adapted to carry up to 10-12 Phoenix missiles.

Last edited: