Junkers unnamed Long Range Bomber

Wow! Good job.

I guess this Junkers design would demand long runways. The auxiliary wheels in the wings look so weak.
I would know what engineers think about it?

Thanks in advance

I'm certainly no engineer, but I believe these wheels were only used while taxiing and parking, so as to prevent any wing warping. In rollout, take-off and landing I believe they would be retracted.

Well in fact landing gear looks weak. The nose wheel is really tall.

Thanks for comments:) I agree about weak auxiliary wheels legs, but generaly I think, that undercarriage should be much lower. Model was built based on simple drawing, but if belive to author front wheels leg should have... 5,5 m. IMO it is a little bit absurd. Keeping this scale diameter of this leg is about 0,15 m. Question is: keep model as close source drawings as possible or develope it a little bit... I choose first option.

Lets say, that it is made of mysterious material, discovered by german scientist in abandoned cloister somewhere in Himalaya ;)

First plan was to made model only for inflight scene - gears were added in last moment. But maybe I'll think again about this part...

Beautiful model Marek.
I'm often in the same dilema, as references/scale drawings or a bit of plausible development work?

Cesj

P :)

fantastic CGI model
only the landing gear looks "puny"
but that's because the drawing of Junker Bomber show only position of the Gear, not it strength

Heinrich Hertel design the bomber with mass of 90000 kg or 198360 lb !

that almost like the mass of a Boeing B-47.
4687696946_2e9bf1ce2d_z.jpg

It's landing gear source http://www.flickr.com/photos/wbaiv/sets/72157622773902032/detail/

It was designed with the help of the DFS to greatly extend the range said to be about 12'000miles.

The perception is more realistic to me now.
And I must say again that the model is splendid

mrys said:
Lets say, that it is made of mysterious material, discovered by german scientist in abandoned cloister somewhere in Himalaya ;)

That would explain a lot, even if a warp engine would have been installed ! ;D
I think, you should shorten the wheel well doors, at least for the shorter landing gear legs,
they are too long, even if we take into account, that the oleos are shown in a compressed
state. For the main gear, I'm not sure abot the scissor joint. If it would retract in a more
common way rearwards, there would even be space available for a bomb bay.
You're quite right about clinging to source drawinds, as long, as they are plausible. But here
it may be a case of doubt, perhaps even with regards to the origin of the drawing shown by
Herwig and Rode. And I actuallyhave examples, that drawings, which were published by a
manufacturer, showing his own products were wrong !

Attachments

• landing_gear.jpg
    landing_gear.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 663
index.php

Here original drawing of the bomber.
note that main landing gear is different design to the scissor joint landing gear design

Michel Van said:
note that main landing gear is different design to the scissor joint landing gear design

Indeed, but obviously it's retracting forwards, making matters even worse for a bomb bay in the fuselage.
Ok, maybe the weapons load should be carried in the wings.

Jemiba said:
mrys said:

I think, you should shorten the wheel well doors, at least for the shorter landing gear legs,
they are too long, even if we take into account, that the oleos are shown in a compressed
state. For the main gear, I'm not sure abot the scissor joint. If it would retract in a more
common way rearwards, there would even be space available for a bomb bay.

As long as we have only one sketch all detailed discussion about gears cinematics are only more or less logical speculation. On sketch way that gears are retracted is clear: main gears are retracted forward. But for housing whole mechanism gear bay have to be much longer then wheel boogies. Anyway for to be sure, that all works good we should design whole undercariage again :D

BTW I like your concept of scissors joints!

PS:
Here it is example how works undercariage with very tall legs in B-58 Hustler:

https://vimeo.com/45996409

Thanks for this link, good find !
For the Hustler, the landing gear had to be long, as the large pod was carried under the fuselage.
Not sure, that for the Junkers bomber an external weapons carriage was envisaged, too.

Jemiba said:
Not sure, that for the Junkers bomber an external weapons carriage was envisaged, too.
The long gear on the Junkers 'Fernbo 45' is probably so it can take off with the nose high attitude so to avoid extremely long runs. The high height from the ground would be to avoid the wing tips scrapping during rotation.

Incomparable...your art is breathtaking.

Many thanks for sharing your gift with us

Antonio

The artist is fantastic (even better than me ;D ) and the modeller is almost as good as "Slava Trudu"
The project ,though,is stupid.... a bit of crossed wind during take-off and KABOUM!
It is for that reason that the undercarriage of the B-52 is adjustable.

mrys / “Mr-Ys”...!
I’ve been following & collecting Marek Rys’ published books & internet art for some years now.
It is always exciting to anticipate & then see his emergent works.
Thank you Marek, for sharing your art / genius with all of us. Your work is very special.
I am always glad to see how people who know or care little for aviation are struck by Marek Rys’ amazing & uniquely stylish depictions of actual aircraft & exotic aviation projects that earn his artistic attentions.
Again, thank you Marek.

Hi Marek, that is awesome. I have wanted to scratchbuild that in 1/72. Your renders are inspirational.
Are you on the Facebook page Luft46?