Reaction score
Hi,

EF-50 VTOL twin boom project.

[other pictures relocated to other topics]

Attachments

• ef50_a1.jpg
    ef50_a1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 335
In "Hugo Junkers. Pionier der Luftfahrt - seine Flugzeuge" the EF 50 is described as
racing or record aircraft, without mention of a VTOL capability. Of course, the very
large props would make a very long landing gear necessary, that probably would result
in a steep angle while standing on the ground, which could give a STOL capability.

Dear Hesham,

you may also consult our own thread:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4762.0/highlight,junkers+twin+fuselage.html

Cheers.

If the memory fails gentlemen, the "search" function is your friend ...

Jemiba said:
In "Hugo Junkers. Pionier der Luftfahrt - seine Flugzeuge" the EF 50 is described as
racing or record aircraft, without mention of a VTOL capability. Of course, the very
large props would make a very long landing gear necessary, that probably would result
in a steep angle while standing on the ground, which could give a STOL capability.

Horst Zöller described the EF 050 as a "VTOL aircraft as Fa269" on LWAG. Elsewhere (sorry, I forget where), it was described as a "convertiplane". Odd arrangement if it was to be a VTOL aircraft.

Another interesting thread.

On the Ef50, as pointed out by Jemiba, with such huge props, what would the landing gear have been like?
I imagine the legs would have been like stilts. And how do you stow such 'Daddy Long' legs?

Cheers
P :)

Perhaps the principle of work was similar to the Fa-269, (possibly up?)

Attachments

• fa269 1.jpg
    fa269 1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 308
Hard to tell, if it would have been an ultra-STOL with props fixed, I think,
the legs wouldn't have been too long and the nacelles would have given
plenty of room for stowing them.
As a VTOL the props had to be brought in a position above the wing to get the
thrustline right in a line with the CG. Looking at the model, I noticed that it
was attached with a kind of blocks under the nacelles, different to the attachment,
that can be seen on other photos of such models. Maybe this was done in pre-
paration for test to tilt the nacelles. Another point is, that the model has props,
not to be found on all wind tunnel models.

Attachments

• EF-50.GIF
    EF-50.GIF
    38.6 KB · Views: 319
Very plausible Jens ... and good point about the prop blades on the windtunnel model.

it's just my interpretation of the photo. The side view with the tilted nacelles
should show, what a VTOL version could have look like.
Sorry, didn't realise at all, that it really is a twin boom aircraft !

It's clear that Junkers designers was heavily impressed by the SIAI S-55 configuration.

Here is the comparative view of 2 interpretations of the EF-50 photograph: Jemiba's new one (above) and my old one (below).

Attachments

• r_ef50_i.JPG
    r_ef50_i.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 325
The text says, that in his private aerodynamical institute in Aachen, Hugo Junkers madee systematic experiments to
determine the principles for the construction of full metal construction aircraft with cantilever wings. Starting with simple
bodies (you can see a number on the photo under the one you posted), those tests led to aircraft like the Junkers J 3 and
later F 13. The twin fuselage model isn't mentioned explicitly, but I think, it's just an aerodynamic test object (note the
thickened wing/fuselage junctions), not a project on its own.