Joby Aviation

Yes, in general terms this architecture is a good compromise of disc loading, low prop tip velocity (noise), transition characteristics and low drag aero performance, However it’s a rather complex solution, with will inherently has some challenges with safety.

I see six motor rotating actuators , flap actuators, landing gear actuators, primary flying control actuators and probably wheel brake actuators. Are the prop blades pitch controlled (suspect so) ? It would be reasonable to assume all are electrical and probably half of them will be dual for redundancy hence maybe 20 without vp props & 26 + with). Linear electric actuators have the added challenge that they’re considerably more jam prone than hydraulic. All of this kit will be subjected to lots of vibration so would not have a happy life. The potential for resonance by modal coupling requires a comprehensive investigation in all flight, ground and failure conditions;- seriously hard core vibration analysis but quite manageable.

So how does it compare to a helo? Well in essence one big power gear box on the helo is being replaced by a plethora of smaller low power gearboxes and ball screw drives. My guess is that a lot of the propulsion simplification gains are eroded by the increase in control system complexity. So it will be more in line with Helo safety standards than fixed wing. If VP props this will present a big problem;- just ask anyone who’s owned one. Operation costs largely depends on battery technology, which is not transferred from the auto sector, due to the operational cycle, in particular the large power demands for hovering its bespoke, therefore expensive. The large cyclic power demands tends to adversely impact battery life, thus this will dominate the cost. These cost are only known to a few close to the project and everyone else is just guessing.

The one area that’s unexplored within these concepts is all weather operation. If you’re business model is based on a commercial operation then it’s not a nice to have. Electric de icing is power hunger, props can present unique difficulties as do high performance CFRP sandwich structures. All this will impact availability and maybe range.

All that said, of all the eVTOL schemes, if any are worth a go, this is the one with the highest chance of working........but still no guarantee’s.

Last edited:
The problem will also comes from traditional helicopters that could close the gap in cost with the advantages of safety and adaptability when realistic revenues and pricing from those platforms start to come into scrutiny.

The counter effect might be deadly for many models outhere.

While a very attractive aircraft I have to agree that the complexity, and thus operating cost will make it tougher to get past the bottom line, especially when there are other feasible options in the pipeline. If it were focused on longer ranges (like the northeast corridor in the US) than most EVTOL concepts, thus avoiding airports all together, there might be a more compelling argument.

Is there any information related to motor nacelle? - they insist that each nacelle has two motors but not easy to imagine

Is there any information related to motor nacelle? - they insist that each nacelle has two motors but not easy to imagine
While I don't have the specifics of their design, remember that most of the electric motors used in these sorts of applications are quite small. for instance, the MagniX Magni500, which generates 750hp, is shown below:

23922196_web1_L1-magniX-EDH-011821-FS.jpg

Last edited:

It looks like the propeller design, the composite, variable pitch controlled propellers and asymmetrically spaced blades, has been well-optimized. I'm hoping for favorable outcomes in that large-scale testing campaign.

Attachments

• 130ff9de-4576-494a-abdc-43adc384121b_Joby_Propeller_NFAC_5.jpg
    130ff9de-4576-494a-abdc-43adc384121b_Joby_Propeller_NFAC_5.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 05h_on2021_airtaxiawaits-joby_406382edit_live.jpg
    05h_on2021_airtaxiawaits-joby_406382edit_live.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 17
  • i-JoeBen-Bevirt-Founder-and-Chief-Executive-Officer-Joby-Aviation.jpg
    i-JoeBen-Bevirt-Founder-and-Chief-Executive-Officer-Joby-Aviation.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Plant tour: Joby Aviation​

"Many years from now, when historians write about the history of the commercial aerospace industry in the 2020s and 2030s, there will be chapters, if not whole volumes, on advanced air mobility (AAM)."

Oh I bet there will.... ;) All joking aside, an interesting enough article (if composites interest you, that is).

The last section on what it's like to pilot the aircraft is very interesting. If fly by wire technology really makes flying this thing a breeze, could pilots without a helicopter rating be qualified to operate it ? I imagine Joby will be pushing the FAA on this in order to widen the possible pilot pool.

Plant tour: Joby Aviation​

"Many years from now, when historians write about the history of the commercial aerospace industry in the 2020s and 2030s, there will be chapters, if not whole volumes, on advanced air mobility (AAM)."

Oh I bet there will.... ;) All joking aside, an interesting enough article (if composites interest you, that is).

The last section on what it's like to pilot the aircraft is very interesting. If fly by wire technology really makes flying this thing a breeze, could pilots without a helicopter rating be qualified to operate it ? I imagine Joby will be pushing the FAA on this in order to widen the possible pilot pool.
Just get rid of the pilot completely and go full autonomous...

The basic idea is to scale the UAM operations to thousands of flights over a single city, therefore you need a lot of pilots, but only till you figured out full autonomy. So you have to decrease quickly necessary skill level for pilots that you can find more of them, just to get rid of them in the next step. This was never a problem for Uber or Lyft since everyone already can drive a car. But the goal is the same: get rid of the human.

Just received Faa certification.

Shares went up considerably, also more funding came in.

Regards,