Japanese Naval fighter based on the Martinsyde F.4

Jjr

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Hai
In the Martinsyde file, by Ray Sanger, is something interresting written on page 192.
In 1921 there were delivered several types of aeroplane delivered to Japan for testing, on of them was the Martinsyde F.4.
In the part about the F.4 delivered to Japan is written:
He also reported that he had seen a machine , almost identical to an F.4 but with modified tail and fitted with three flotation bags, which had been used for deck-landing trails on the Hosho.
Following the trails, the cowling had been modified to improve the view over the nose. By replacing the radiator with two cylindrical radiators under the engine and moving the carburettors to positions either side of the engine, it had been possible to incorporate a concave upper surface into the cowling.

Which type of aeroplane was this?
Please who can help with all kind of details/drawings/pictures etc.?

Is or are there any details of the Martinsyde F.4 during the service in Japan?
How and in which colors was it painted etc.?
Are there any pictures?

Thanks
Jjr

... the cowling had been modified to improve the view over the nose. By replacing the radiator with two cylindrical radiators under the engine ...

This sounds very much like the evolution of the Mitsubishi 1MF - first aircraft to take-off from and land on the Hōshō. The 1MF1 had a nose radiator similar to that of the Buzzard but, for the 1MF3 model, this was replaced by twin Lamblin-type radiators (mounted under the lower wing centre-section) and the nose decking was cut down to improve vision.

There's no direct relationship between the Martinsyde and the 1MF series but they do look very similar. The Mitsubishi was design by Herbert Smith and, on the 1MF1 at least, the tailplane has a distinctly Sopwith look about it.

I overlooked the details of the 1MF and I think you are right.
Its possible that this person saw the 1MF5 or 5a who used experimental flotating bags.

Who nows / has more about the F.4 in Japan?

Hello friends,
I present some pictures of F.4 in jap service from my archive. Unfortunately, I do not know the origin and other details.
Fugaku1706

Attachments

• Martinside F-4_001.jpg
    Martinside F-4_001.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Martinside F-4_002.jpg
    Martinside F-4_002.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Martinside F-4_003.jpg
    Martinside F-4_003.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Martinside F-4_004.jpg