I pray for an invasion of carnivorous zombie alien grasshoppers NOT happening in French Guiana, not now... with that damn jinxed telescope, you never know... :D

Sometimes, some of you, Muricans/Westerners, may act as ***holes, but now i'm sitting in front of my monitor, with all my fingers crossed, on every single of my limbs, and praying to...honestly, i even don't know who i'm praying to - to God, Universe, NASA/Arianespace engineers...praying this launch and whole this mission to be a Success, in every single of its stages and goals. Godspeed, JWST, you're incredible Science Machine, made by incredible people!

P.S. I'm getting nervous. Need some Vodka...

I would suggest tampering down on the vodka input my non-westerner friend (or share the extra with us). You've probably already reached an hypergolic concentration level! ;)
Actually, i came to the same conclusion so now i'm petting my atomic mutant-bear Chernobyl, to relax and be sober enough to not to miss the launch.

Nice one Arianespace, I cannot wait for the first images to come from JWST. Watched the launch on the BBC News Channel. Let’s also hope that the JWST reaches orbit without incident. By the way can we now change the Thread from Technical Discussion Only to News and discussion.

Gosh damn it it launched at least ! This is Christmas... oh well its Christmas day LMAO.

Live from Kourou, NASA centers, Japan, Canada... celebration !

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXQViqx6GMY

I just want a launch for Christmas
There is just one thing I need
I don't care about the presents underneath the Christmas tree
Oh, I just want launch on my own
More than you could ever know
Make that launch come true
All I want for Christmas is launch
Yeah
Oh-oh, the pad lights are shining so brightly everywhere (so brightly, baby)
And the sound of rocket thunder fills the air (oh, oh, yeah)
And everything is shaking (oh, yeah)
I hear Ariane engine bells ringing
Santa, won't you bring me the launch I really need? (Yeah, oh)
Won't you please launch that baby for me?

Last edited:
The where is Webb website as it makes its lengthy trek to L2.

Not to jinx it or anything and providing it does deploy successfully and enter operation nominally. I’ll predict that JWST will make at least one groundbreaking discovery before the end of next year.

Not to jinx it or anything and providing it does deploy successfully and enter operation nominally. I’ll predict that JWST will make at least one groundbreaking discovery before the end of next year.
BTW, is it known what JWST will be directed at first? Did NASA announced their plans and "high-priority targets"? I presume one of the first will be Sagittarius A*, but what else?

enjoyed watching the launch and seeing that its safely on its way to L2.

Since its lost its bus, how will they do the orbit insertion? will attitude control be enough?
They deliberately undershot on velocity so that they didn't have a chance of overshooting and having to flip the stack to brake, which would put the sensitive payload in sunlight. So yes, the JWST will use its own station-keeping motor for the final orbital refinement.

The First Mid-Course Correction Burn​

Webb’s first mid-course correction burnbegan. It lasted 65 minutes and is now complete. This burn is one of two milestones that are time critical — the first was the solar array deployment, which happened shortly after launch.

This burn adjusts Webb’s trajectory toward the second Lagrange point, commonly known as L2. After launch, Webb needs to make its own mid-course thrust correction maneuvers to get to its orbit. This is by design: Webb received an intentional slight under-burn from the Ariane-5 that launched it into space, because it’s not possible to correct for overthrust. If Webb gets too much thrust, it can’t turn around to move back toward Earth because that would directly expose its telescope optics and structure to the Sun, overheating them and aborting the science mission before it can even begin.

Therefore, we ease up to the correct velocity in three stages, being careful never to deliver too much thrust — there will be three mid-course correction maneuvers in total.

After this burn, no key milestones are time critical, so the order, location, timing, and duration of deployments may change.

You can track where Webb is in the process and read about upcoming deployments. NASA has a detailed plan to deploy the Webb Space Telescope over a roughly two-week period.The deployment process is not an automatic hands-off sequence; it is human-controlled. The team monitors Webb in real-time and may pause the nominal deployment at any time. This means that the deployments may not occur exactly in the order or at the times originally planned.