James Webb Space Telescope (Technical Post ONLY !)

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
...They dropped it?...
Wouldn't be the first time.

9.6.2003_01.lrg.jpg

Womp-womp...

Richard N

Lost in the Sky
Reaction score
Apollo 13's problems began with:

"the No. 2 oxygen tank onboard Apollo 13 had been accidentally dropped during maintenance before the Apollo 10 mission in 1969, causing slight internal damage that didn’t show up in later inspections."

brownt62

Be kind to children.
Reaction score
...They dropped it?...
Wouldn't be the first time.

9.6.2003_01.lrg.jpg

Womp-womp...
Jesus a person on my team dropped a Dell server that was a big as a small coffin and "time stood still" while we all looked at each other and suppressing the urge to run.........the boss came down....looked ....and said. give me the serial numbers we got insurance for this....we were relieved but when the replace was there the boss helped us unbox and install it in the racks... good days

Orionblamblam

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website

Josh_TN

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
As much as these mistakes seem comical...when you guys get a telescope into orbit, let me know. Or most any other organization for that matter. Right now the Hubble is the gold standard, and it has been in service for two decades or so and I don't see Russia, Europe, Japan, China, etc putting up a replacement no matter how much we mutha fuk NASA on this thread.

I think their talent pool could use a little chlorine, but you can't point to anyone doing more ambitious science than them.

Archibald

Reaction score
Apollo 13's problems began with:

"the No. 2 oxygen tank onboard Apollo 13 had been accidentally dropped during maintenance before the Apollo 10 mission in 1969, causing slight internal damage that didn’t show up in later inspections."

Indeed ! But Webb was no longer administrator :p

My suggestion
- holy water & exorcism
- silver bullets or garlic
- hire a voodoo or chaman

Orionblamblam

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
As much as these mistakes seem comical...

When they're not *your* mistake, they're *hysterical.* I was working at United Tech when Lockheed dumped that satellite; when we found out what the cause was, we laughed and laughed and laughed... and then reviewed our own procedures.

Flyaway

Reaction score
If you look at the date this event actually occurred it was something like two weeks ago so I imagine much of the testing has already been done, and the four day launch slip is the extra time they need to finish things up after eating up the two week margin they had in the launch campaign.

Flyaway

Reaction score

Engineering teams have completed additional testing confirming NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope is ready for flight, and launch preparations are resuming toward Webb’s target launch date of Wednesday, Dec. 22, at 7:20 a.m. EST.

Additional testing was conducted this week to ensure the observatory’s health following an incident that occurred when the release of a clamp band caused a vibration throughout the observatory.

On Wednesday, Nov. 24, engineering teams completed these tests, and a NASA-led anomaly review board concluded no observatory components were damaged in the incident. A “consent to fuel” review was held, and NASA gave approval to begin fueling the observatory. Fueling operations will begin Thursday, Nov. 25, and will take about 10 days.

The Webb Space Telescope is an international partnership with the European and Canadian space agencies. It will explore every phase of cosmic history – from within our solar system to the most distant observable galaxies in the early universe, and everything in between. Webb will reveal new and unexpected discoveries, and help humanity understand the origins of the universe and our place in it.

Flyaway

Reaction score

”On Wednesday, Nov. 24, engineering teams completed these tests, and a NASA-led anomaly review board concluded no observatory components were damaged in the incident. A “consent to fuel” review was held, and NASA gave approval to begin fueling the observatory. Fueling operations will begin Thursday, Nov. 25, and will take about 10 days."